Sponsored by: APR

My GT4 Locks Tomorrow!! - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 11:14 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts
Default My GT4 Locks Tomorrow!! - HELP!

My lock date is tomorrow and my sales agent wants my final build sheet... I have spec'd the following but am still undecided on the following:

-Alcantara Visors
-Light Package
-Leather Steering Column
-Leather Cluster Surround
-2 Zone Climate Control

Total for those uncertainties: $2510

Im always good with trying to save more money and these following options are still up in the air. For those that have them would you say it was worth the cost or are these following options are pointless?? Help me!!

Here is the following build sheet im planning on submitting to my SA. I am leaning towards removing the options but wanted to get all of your input.

Final by blueprint012, on Flickr
Old 02-10-2016, 11:18 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,211 Likes on 2,717 Posts

Out of all those, the only one I kept was the leather column surround.

So I vote for that being the essential option.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:20 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Every single one of these has at least one thread dedicated to it, complete with photographs, and has come up in lots of other "Critique my build" threads, but here's the Cliff's Notes of all of those threads:

Alcantara Visors: They look nice since they match the headliner, and Alcantara is apparently easier than both vinyl and leather to remove the airbag stickers from. Others who have the vinyl visors say that they don't look as bad as the photos suggest, but I haven't seen them in person. Note that adding these would force you to add Light Design.

Light Design: Inexpensive as Porsche options go, and gets you LEDs replacing all incandescents and some additional lighting you don't get otherwise. Nobody has a good side-by-side comparison of what's included in the standard setup, so it's hard to say how worthwhile this is, but between the fairly low cost and the fact that I like lighting, I got it. I also wanted the Alcantara visors though, so that would've forced me anyway.

Leather Steering Column: Get it and don't look back. I was on the fence since looking at photos I thought it might be a bit much, but since I read so many people saying that the base plastic there feels particularly cheap, I went for it and am very glad I did. It looks great (especially if you end up pulling the steering column out toward the seat) and not at all over the top.

Leather Cluster Surround: Not as noticeable as the steering column since it doesn't give you stitching, but I got it because I liked the consistency of the dash leather carrying over to the instrument surround, and if you already have the steering column in leather, this eliminates the last bit of plastic on the dashboard area (except PCM, but even that option doesn't carry the leather down to the console below the shifter). Most people pass on this option and don't feel they're missing out though, even if they got the steering column.

2 Zone Climate Control: Great if you want to set a temperature and forget it. Some people find themselves fiddling with Auto mode in the 981 car or other cars anyway and decided to pass for that reason since they'd expect to need to fiddle with the Auto setup here too, but a) the Auto mode can actually be tuned, and b) some of those people are now annoyed that changing the temperature takes so long due to the up/down clicker implementation rather than a rotary **** and end up wishing they'd gotten this option to avoid that hassle.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:21 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rk-d
Out of all those, the only one I kept was the leather column surround.

So I vote for that being the essential option.
Is the non leather option a cheap plastic??
Old 02-10-2016, 11:22 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by shockwave
Is the non leather option a cheap plastic??
Yes
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,211 Likes on 2,717 Posts

I have a tendency to put my fingertips on the column when cruising, so the appearance and feel of the column is actually kind of a big deal for me. For instance - some of the cheaper cars I've driven have a hollow sound when tapping the column as opposed to the nice, solid thunk on more expensive cars.

It's a weird thing and I love that Porsche has an option to accommodate every fetish.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,317 Likes on 800 Posts

All these have been discussed and opinions are all over the board.

Get what you want and don't worry what others think
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jphughan
Yes
Thanks jphughan!!

I haven't personally seen the leather column/steering surround but i understand where your coming form with the cheap plastic where as the leather would make it look polished... it makes sense since i went with the leather wheel/gear lever.

As far as the alcantara visor im undecided... it's hard to justify $500 for that.

$340 for the light design package is a cheap option so i'll throw it in.

I wish the base pcm had bluetooth streaming... i would get CDR but that roof wart would annoy the hell out of me.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 PM
NephroC4S
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I picked all of the options you mention. This is my first car built to my specs so I didn't want to leave much out as it will certainly be a keeper. Just be sure you will be comfortable with your choices. I drew the line at the extended leather option. Could use the extra money for Xpel and tint. These are certainly not bad dilemma's to have. Good luck!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:29 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Thanks jphughan!!

I haven't personally seen the leather column/steering surround but i understand where your coming form with the cheap plastic where as the leather would make it look polished... it makes sense since i went with the leather wheel/gear lever.

As far as the alcantara visor im undecided... it's hard to justify $500 for that.

$340 for the light design package is a cheap option so i'll throw it in.

I wish the base pcm had bluetooth streaming... i would get CDR but that roof wart would annoy the hell out of me.
Yes, leather steering column works even better when you're getting the leather wheel. I never look up and see the Alcantara visors, but I'm glad I got them just to simplify removing the airbag stickers. I never noticed the stickers in my E92 M3, but the cabin in this car is so short that they were constantly in my vertical peripheral vision before I got rid of them, and vinyl is apparently the most difficult material to remove stickers from. Anyhow, glad you my Cliff's Notes above helpful. And if you want to save cash, dump PCCB!
Old 02-10-2016, 11:30 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Light Design and 2-Zone Climate Control are the only options that serve any real function. The others are nice but superfluous in an already sweet interior. If I kept 2 items, it'd be those. If only 1, then I'd keep Light Design. If you're going to use the car, they offer better lighting in cargo areas, ambiance lighting and lighted vanity mirrors. I can adjust the heat and fan myself.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

I guess the other influencing factor is my wife telling me to spec it the way that would make me happy with no regrets because i won't be allowed to buy **** for years...
Old 02-10-2016, 11:31 PM
2WheelsRBetter
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess the other influencing factor is my wife telling me to spec it the way that would make me happy with no regrets because i won't be allowed to buy **** for years...
Wise advice from an understanding woman - who deserves to have a lighted vanity mirror.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:36 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2WheelsRBetter
Wise advice from an understanding woman - who deserves to have a lighted vanity mirror.
Light Package has been clicked. She expressed her concerns with LWB but that was non-negotiable.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 PM
jphughan
Drifting

My post re instrument surround in leather since that's easily the option that's the least discussed and least commonly seen:

Just got a PM asking me for pics of this and realized that I never posted one to this thread as I'd intended, so to make up for that I've posted two. It's tricky to capture this option well, but hopefully this gives a sense of what it looks like.

^ Compare to these images of the standard instrument cluster here. Note that the visual transition between the leather dash and plastic instrument surround isn't nearly as seamless.

Quick Reply: My GT4 Locks Tomorrow!! - HELP!