Sponsored by: APR

2-zone automatic climate control

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Hams955
Off subject a little; but one thing that drives me nuts?? I wish there was a way to default the system to OFF. My car is 100% track; it has never been on a public road once. With that to say, every time I get in and start it up, my second action is to toggle down the fan speed into the off position. I wish the darn thing would just stay off and remember my previous setting....

Annoying.

Just had to vent on that one.

- Chris.
No pun intended of course...
Old 03-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Shockwave
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 36 Posts

This was a last sec. add on for me and im seriously glad i got it.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:12 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Off subject a little; but one thing that drives me nuts?? I wish there was a way to default the system to OFF. My car is 100% track; it has never been on a public road once. With that to say, every time I get in and start it up, my second action is to toggle down the fan speed into the off position. I wish the darn thing would just stay off and remember my previous setting....

Annoying.

- Chris.
Agreed. Same gripe with the stereo since turning off PCM in a way that it stays off next time also kills Bluetooth, which isn't ideal for the road.

And for people griping that Auto mode never seems to choose the fan setting you want, be aware that the air flow aggressiveness can be customized in the instrument cluster. Mine was set to Heavy at delivery and I found I much preferred Light. I also enabled extended circulation or whatever that setting is called, which allows air to blow from the upward-facing portion of the dashboard vents rather than blowing it all forward.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:27 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Agreed. Same gripe with the stereo since turning off PCM in a way that it stays off next time also kills Bluetooth, which isn't ideal for the road.
This doesn't make any sense. You turn if OFF and you want an integral function to be ON. So what you are really stating is that you want a selective OFF of integral functions: i.e. Bluetooth ON, Radio OFF, Nav OFF, or something similar like that.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
This doesn't make any sense. You turn if OFF and you want an integral function to be ON. So what you are really stating is that you want a selective OFF of integral functions: i.e. Bluetooth ON, Radio OFF, Nav OFF, or something similar like that.
Made perfect sense to me what JP said. I share his aggravation with the brain dead behavior of PCM regarding audio and bluetooth. BMW got it right, Porsche has it wrong. I still deal with it with my 2016 Boxster S.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:12 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
"I don't understand" != "This doesn't make any sense", but to clarify: Just like the AC, the stereo turns on every time you start the car, even if it was off when you were last using it, and while shutting PCM off entirely prevents this (since it stays off across uses of the car), that also kills Bluetooth for phone connectivity, so I don't consider that an acceptable workaround. On the BMW side, if the stereo was muted when the car was last on, it's muted when the car is started again, and if the stereo wasn't muted, it starts at a fixed low volume to avoid an unexpected blaring radio in the morning if you had it cranked up when you were last in the car. It also sticks to a source even if it's not available right at startup, like Bluetooth Audio, rather than immediately switching to something else only for you to have to switch it back a few seconds later when your phone connects. That is all much better logic than Porsche's implementation, which does not remember mute, starts at the closest of a seemingly small number of defined volume levels to the last unmuted level used, and starts on FM radio if you were last using Bluetooth Audio (even if FM radio wasn't the last source you used before Bluetooth Audio).

I seldom have the stereo on in my car, and when I do I'm almost always using Bluetooth Audio, but I do like having Bluetooth phone available for calls and the live map from my nav, so my choices are either killing those functions by shutting PCM off entirely or else muting my stereo or switching the source every single time I get into my car. First world problem to be sure, but aggravating because this could all be fixed with simple software adjustments.

Last edited by jphughan; 03-27-2017 at 12:47 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:02 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,069 Likes on 1,164 Posts

Annoying.

- Chris.
And here I thought that this was ONLY happening to me because I didnt know how to work the climate control system.

It's annoying times 1000!

Old 06-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
And here I thought that this was ONLY happening to me because I didnt know how to work the climate control system.

It's annoying times 1000!

There is a reason for Porsche doing that
I was equally pissed off that it has to be shut off manually
I spoke to my service manager as to why Porsche programs it this way ... the reason is to prevent or limit condensation from forming in the cabin ... so there is a method to their madness

Quick Reply: 2-zone automatic climate control