Sponsored by: APR

2-zone automatic climate control

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016, 11:48 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 99 Posts

I got the climate control but...

This car doesn't really need any options so don't worry about it one way or the other. No backup camera? Learn how to backup. I live in a downtown area too.

Got to remember where GT cars started. It's amazing we get so many convenience options as it is.
Old 02-01-2016, 01:00 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I live in S. Cal and usually don't have to worry about big temp swings. In fact, nearly all my driving so far has been HVAC off, windows down so I can better hear that glorious flat 6. I don't regret not selecting dual zone one bit
Old 02-01-2016, 01:02 AM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RocketGuy3
I'm no the fence about climate control, but what really frustrates me is that the car doesn't have a backup cam or especially keyless entry and ignition even available as options, let alone standard. A $100K Porsche in 2016, and you can't get features that are standard on $18K Kias these days... I know it's a sports car first and foremost, but c'mon.
I hate keyless entry and ignition and wouldn't want them even if they were standard.
However, as a father to an active, 5 years old boy who can easily hide behind my GT4 without being seen... I would have gladly paid for a back up camera
Old 02-01-2016, 01:46 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,089 Likes on 572 Posts

There's a reason why Porsche is the most profitable car company in the world! Carl
Old 02-01-2016, 02:41 AM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The big deal about 2-zone is not really that it is 2-zone IMO. the big deal is that if you do not get 2-zone you do not get a thermostat setting. You get a fan speed and level setting and that is it.

That being said I got the standard and don't regret it. I usually find my setting and leave it with no issues whatsoever.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:15 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 108 Posts

Don't regret it at all, dual zone in a car this small will make 0 difference. The auto climate in my 991 I was always screwing with anyways so didn't see the need for it. Only use it for heat in the winter, spring-fall is just windows open all the time.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:43 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

got the camera in my Spyder.. godsend in the city when parking.. pure guessing game without it.

I have the manual and i really like it. no weird fluctuations in the fan speed when I don't want it.. i just set it to what i like and i know that's how it will stay until i change it.. i wish all my cars were like this.. soon even my damn motorcycles will have automatic climate control.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:50 PM
gmaki
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
got the camera in my Spyder.. godsend in the city when parking.. pure guessing game without it.

I have the manual and i really like it. no weird fluctuations in the fan speed when I don't want it.. i just set it to what i like and i know that's how it will stay until i change it.. i wish all my cars were like this.. soon even my damn motorcycles will have automatic climate control.
If I was daily driving the GT4 I might have gotten the 2-zone. But the way I use it I have never had any issue with it. Maybe once or twice after starting out on a very cold morning I have had to adjust it later in the day as the weather got warmer. But hardly an imposition at all and one adjustment usually does the trick.

On my daily driver though I have it set to my perfect temp and I never have to think about it. As a matter of fact I remote start it from my laptop or phone every morning so it is pre warmed up for me by the time I get in. That's a very nice feature. Although I would not order it on the Porsche even if it was available.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:02 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
Alright, has anyone gotten their GT4 without it and regretted it?

I could care less about it being 2-zone for driver and passenger, but I do appreciate letting the car automatically control the AC or heat and fan to keep the set temperature.

Thanks.
On you key comments above - I did not get 2 zone as I did not understand what I would get without it - this is the one thing I hate ( ) about the car - the standard climate system and the fiddling to maintain temperature.

I have asked my dealer to research retrofitting 2 zone into my car. Pay the cost and enjoy the car.

Especially since, like me, all your other vehicles for many years have had automatic climate control, it just becomes something you take for granted - until you don't have it :

Get it!

Last edited by supercup; 02-01-2016 at 06:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 06:58 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
Calling jphughan, the resident Chief Dual-Zone Evangelist. He'll sell you on it in a heartbeat.
I had actually planned to stay out of this figuring that everything that could be set about this option had already been said, but when it hit 2 pages curiosity got the better of me.

Originally Posted by Ferrarisimo
If you're shallow like me, here's something else to consider.

Dual-zone gives you a sweet rocker switch:

No sweet rocker switch without the option:

You still get a sweet rocker switch. The center rocker switch that is the fan speed control on 2-zone is just relocated to where the passenger-side temp would have been since the base system doesn't allow a separate temperature over there.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:01 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
I hate keyless entry and ignition and wouldn't want them even if they were standard.
However, as a father to an active, 5 years old boy who can easily hide behind my GT4 without being seen... I would have gladly paid for a back up camera
Out of curiosity, what makes you hate keyless entry and ignition? I agree with others here that that plus a rearview camera would probably be my most desirable missing features, and the latter even makes a case for itself in a track scenario, but thus far I haven't had enough trouble parking for this to be a problem. If I found myself having to parallel park in tight spaces a lot, then I'd probably get it because right now as CAlexio said, it's just a guessing game, and with LWBs I wouldn't want to be constantly getting in and out of the car to see how much space I still had behind me.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by johnr265
I have found in most of my cars with climate control that I am constantly playing with the auto control anyway. Didn't feel like wasting the money on the gt4 system and am mostly happy with that setup. Would much prefer old fashioned ***** to the silly rocker switch but can overall live with it. No regrets.
Just fyi, you can tune how the Auto function works by selecting among 3 different air intensity settings. For example, if a given cabin condition and desired temperature setting would normally prompt the system to run the fans at speed 3 with the Normal air intensity setting, you can choose Strong that will cause it to run it at 4 or maybe 5, or Light that will cause it to run at 2 or maybe 1. So if you found yourself constantly changing the fans to be stronger or lighter than the regular Auto mode chose, that can be worked around on this car. I ended up setting mine to Light because I tend not to like the blast of air sensation (which is also why I enabled extended ventilation that uses the vents that point upward on the dash rather than just those that point toward the occupants), though I may end up changing that when summer rolls around.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:36 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jphughan
Out of curiosity, what makes you hate keyless entry and ignition?
Both of these features "solve" problems which don't exist for me while creating other problems both real and perceived.

I don't find the process of pushing the unlock button on my key difficult. So why do I need the extra complexity and potential problems that go with a more complicated, keyless entry system. Moreover, keyless entry has absolutely shown itself to be a thief's wet dream. Granted, a thief who is motivated won't be stopped no matter what by why make it easy?

As to keyless ignition... again, I don't have any problem using a real key and just like silly haptic feedback interfaces replacing actual dials, I don't see the benefit... especially when you consider the potential downsides. We have both keyless entry and ignition on our daily driven Audi A6 wagon. In the nearly 6-years and ~72,000 miles we've had the car we've had real problems with both systems. Those problems include a keyless ignition fault that caused the car to actually shut off for one very brief amount of time while we were travelling at highway speeds in the carpool lane of the 5 freeway (one of the most congested local freeways). That was a real pucker moment! An old fashioned key wouldn't have done that. Thankfully, Audi took the problem very seriously and found the issue but that experience has soured me to this supposed feature.

Whenever possible, I will not order these options. Sometimes the KISS principle is best, IMO.
Old 02-01-2016, 07:44 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,205 Likes on 2,716 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Both of these features "solve" problems which don't exist for me while creating other problems both real and perceived.

I don't find the process of pushing the unlock button on my key difficult. So why do I need the extra complexity and potential problems that go with a more complicated, keyless entry system. Moreover, keyless entry has absolutely shown itself to be a thief's wet dream. Granted, a thief who is motivated won't be stopped no matter what by why make it easy?

As to keyless ignition... again, I don't have any problem using a real key and just like silly haptic feedback interfaces replacing actual dials, I don't see the benefit... especially when you consider the potential downsides. We have both keyless entry and ignition on our daily driven Audi A6 wagon. In the nearly 6-years and ~72,000 miles we've had the car we've had real problems with both systems. Those problems include a keyless ignition fault that caused the car to actually shut off for one very brief amount of time while we were travelling at highway speeds in the carpool lane of the 5 freeway (one of the most congested local freeways). That was a real pucker moment! An old fashioned key wouldn't have done that. Thankfully, Audi took the problem very seriously and found the issue but that experience has soured me to this supposed feature.

Whenever possible, I will not order these options. Sometimes the KISS principle is best, IMO.
Keyless is really useful in a daily driver, for me - for instance carrying a load of bags to the car, it's nice not having to spare a hand to find the keys and unlock the car.

I like not having a keyed ignition, b/c my keychain tends to hit my knees, which is annoying.
Old 02-01-2016, 09:04 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by rk-d
Keyless is really useful in a daily driver, for me - for instance carrying a load of bags to the car, it's nice not having to spare a hand to find the keys and unlock the car.

I like not having a keyed ignition, b/c my keychain tends to hit my knees, which is annoying.
These are basically the benefits I was going to call out. Admittedly I'm seldom walking to my GT4 with my hands totally full -- although it does happen, and when it does it's annoying to shift what I'm carrying around to fumble around for my fob in my pocket -- and I've solved the keychain knocking issue (against the aluminum in my case, not the knees) by buying a $1.50 quick release keyring attachment from Home Depot so that I can detach my fob from my keyring when I'm driving, but I would personally prefer to have these features.

Da Hapa, yes there was a case recently reported about thieves using essentially long-range repeaters to relay the fob signal from the victim's fob in their pocket a great distance away to their actual car, and while I agree the problem is widespread in terms of the number of cars it affects, I would hardly argue that we're facing an epidemic of thefts of that nature. Thieves are also less likely to steal rarer cars anyway because they're harder to fence. When my wife got a Civic Hybrid a while ago and we added it to my M3 policy, the Civic was more expensive to insure, which insurance said was mostly because Civics are much more frequently stolen because they become needles in a haystack when thieves get them. Admittedly I never had any of the failures with these systems that you did. I can't believe a keyless ignition fault caused your car to shut off while it was moving. If the car loses track of the fob for whatever reason, it should just warn that the car can't be RE-started, as BMWs do; it should not just kill the engine!

Quick Reply: 2-zone automatic climate control