My 2016 GT4 will cost $200k in Norway

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 10:42 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2016 GT4 will cost $200k in Norway

Fellas,

I'm about to place an order for my very first Porsche. You should all consider yourselves very lucky to not live in Norway where I live, at least in terms of being a car nut. The scales are topping out at over $200k for my GT4. Here's to hoping these cars will appreciate

Anyway, wanted to post my option list here to see if anyone had some comments on it. I've given it a lot of thought, but before dropping this kind of coin I will sleep better knowing some more experienced folks have looked it over. Cheers!

Exterior Colour
Agate Grey Metallic

Interior Colour
Leather interior, Black (stitching in Guards Red in conjunction w. option Stitching in contrasting colour)

Exterior
Wings in Black

Transmission / Chassis
6-speed manual gearbox
Fuel tank 64-litre

Wheels
20-inch GT4 wheels

Wheel Accessories
Wheels painted in satin black (complete) Exclusive

Interior
Stitching in contrasting colour
12-o'clock marking in Yellow
Cruise control
Light design package
Full bucket seats
Two-zone automatic climate control
Smoking package
Seat belts coloured in Guards Red Exclusive
Interior Leather
Steering column casing in leather Exclusive
Alcantara interior
Sun visors in Alcantara Exclusive

Audio / Comm.
Porsche Communication Management (PCM) including navigation module with universal audio interface
Sound Package Plus
Mobile phone preparation
Old 11-24-2015, 11:36 PM
number 9
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will love the steering column in leather every time you get into and out of your $200K gt4. The alcantera visors will be nice too
Old 11-25-2015, 11:20 AM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a nice build.
Old 11-25-2015, 11:34 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

But how much do you have to earn (gross) in Norway to buy a $200k GT4?

Here, in the USA, one needs to earn over $200k to purchase a $100k GT4. This takes into account, income tax, minimum retirement 401k, state tax, city tax, and licensing fees. So maybe it's not as far apart as you think.

Yes, I'm aware Porsche has market geography pricing models.

U r a lucky guy to be getting a 4. Enjoy!
Old 11-25-2015, 11:58 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 257 Posts

Is the clubsport option available in Norway? Maybe consider that if you're going to track it. US market is cheap compared to most. Of course tax is often a factor too. Malaysia tax on Porsches was nearly 200%, Singapore even higher.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:39 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

Cheers fellas.

It's all about taxes. Zero markup on MSRP, but about 100% tax on cars like this. Income tax actually isn't as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be compared to if you live in NYC and have state and city tax or compared to CA with the high state tax there. Still several percentage points higher, but then again there's free healthcare and education... It's really the sales and luxury taxes that get you. Gas is 4x of what it is in most of the US. Great place to live though and as a society I think the Economist always ranks Norway as one of the top three happiest nations in the world.

Back to business, I'm thinking I should make the following changes:

Drop climate control. It's such a small cabin it shouldn't be hard to regulate by hand. Never any need for AC in Norway anyway.

Drop Navigation. Have been reading here that ppl hate the Porsche nav systems. With Google and Apple entering the market it will be better and cheaper to replace the standard audio system with one of their units.

Add DAB. I don't listen to radio, only streaming stuff from my phone, but in Norway I believe all radio is all digital now so for resale value that might be a key factor.

Thoughts?
Old 11-25-2015, 01:01 PM
Drjimh
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4VR
Cheers fellas.

It's all about taxes. Zero markup on MSRP, but about 100% tax on cars like this. Income tax actually isn't as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be compared to if you live in NYC and have state and city tax or compared to CA with the high state tax there. Still several percentage points higher, but then again there's free healthcare and education... It's really the sales and luxury taxes that get you. Gas is 4x of what it is in most of the US. Great place to live though and as a society I think the Economist always ranks Norway as one of the top three happiest nations in the world.

Back to business, I'm thinking I should make the following changes:

Drop climate control. It's such a small cabin it shouldn't be hard to regulate by hand. Never any need for AC in Norway anyway.

Drop Navigation. Have been reading here that ppl hate the Porsche nav systems. With Google and Apple entering the market it will be better and cheaper to replace the standard audio system with one of their units.

Add DAB. I don't listen to radio, only streaming stuff from my phone, but in Norway I believe all radio is all digital now so for resale value that might be a key factor.

Thoughts?
100% Tax! That is why we dumped tea in the Boston Harbor!
Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 42 Posts

I'd drop the dual climate, drop the nav, and that's it.

Last edited by nowata; 11-26-2015 at 06:44 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 02:59 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Welcome to Sweden - that car will only set you back around 950 KSEK, but maybe you don't want to live here...
Old 11-25-2015, 03:04 PM
GT4VR
Instructor

Hehe. Love Sweden! I think Swedes are cooler/nicer than Norwegians, Stockholm may be my favorite city in the world, and cars are actually reasonable there. Unfortunately, the rest of my family lives in Norway so that's why I'm here

Followup question on the Nav (which is a $4500 upgrade here), if I just keep the standard base unit (no nav) can I pull it easily and replace it with a future Apple unit (or Pioneer or similar) or is it more "built in" and permanentishly stuck in the GT4?
Old 11-25-2015, 03:08 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Hm. I happen to think exactly the same way about you guys, and your country - maybe we should switch? Unfortunately though, I couldn't afford my cars in Norway... :/
Old 11-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Swedenspyder
Track Day

Based on my first happy 100 000 miles with my GT4 in Sweden, my advice is:
Keep dual control AC - Norway is rainy and sunny at he same time with lots of damp tunnels.
Keep Porsche navi option - much easier to see the hairpins in front of you on the right round instrument cluster when you go uphill on full throttle on roads like "Trollstien".
Buy separate winter tyres as the Cup tyres do not function in cold weather - the might even crack if you park outdoors in freezing conditions.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:18 PM
Swedenspyder
Track Day

Sorry - it should be 10 000 miles...
Old 11-25-2015, 03:20 PM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Haha - was just going to ask if you have lived in the car... Still - good going!
Old 11-26-2015, 06:02 PM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 553 Likes on 269 Posts

Fun Fact: A GT4 would be 30761.5000 in Zimbabwean currency

Quick Reply: My 2016 GT4 will cost $200k in Norway