Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Technical Documents Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 08:20 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT4 Technical Documents Thread

Now that a good number of cars have been delivered and being driven appropriately, it may be time to look a bit behind the marketing curtains and unveil the true contents of the GT4.
Here is an attempt to collect together community knowledge about all things technical. Such as the "service information technik" here.
Now, if someone has the parts list (GT4 PET) that would be a great step forward.
Old 11-15-2015, 12:08 AM
seapar
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This should be a "sticky".
Old 11-15-2015, 12:15 AM
Bardman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cmosman
Now that a good number of cars have been delivered and being driven appropriately, it may be time to look a bit behind the marketing curtains and unveil the true contents of the GT4.
Here is an attempt to collect together community knowledge about all things technical. Such as the "service information technik" here.
Now, if someone has the parts list (GT4 PET) that would be a great step forward.
Nice post. 120 page technical data on gt4! Downloading...
Old 11-15-2015, 12:22 AM
mcdavis
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool, thanks!

We should add:

1. manual
2. "driving on a race circuit"
Old 11-15-2015, 12:09 PM
cmosman
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Adding the user manual here.
What other information is out there at this point?
Old 11-15-2015, 05:40 PM
ccibo72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

This.is.awesome! Thanks for posting!
Old 11-19-2015, 02:40 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

not so happy to find this ..... what's the deal with this "Integrated Dry Sump" idea (BS!?)
and Evo interview with AP - comments that it's 'no problem running slicks and having hi g-forces'

even in the (thanks EBS!) doc above...

Old 11-19-2015, 03:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by HiWind
not so happy to find this ..... what's the deal with this "Integrated Dry Sump" idea (BS!?) and Evo interview with AP - comments that it's 'no problem running slicks and having hi g-forces' even in the (thanks EBS!) doc above...
You are misinformed and very slow in the news department. For the first time a Porsche documentation regarding a GT product states that the car is covered for track use as long as a strict maintenance schedule is performed. This has been introduced in 2013 with the 991 GT3. The 991 GT3 manual also specifically states that the use of racing slicks is forbidden under the new track warranty. And the engine in the 991 GT3 is a true dry sump with an external sump.
In case you don't know,the GT4 comes with a plain old Jane Carrera S 3.8 engine. It has an integrated oil sump,which is fine for track use and covered,as long as you don't use slicks. All for 80K $. You want to go racing and use slicks,buy a Cup car.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:34 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

um ... ok Neaincu - I think we're talking across purposes
... just saying the documentation says "no" when AP said "yes".

He also mentioned the "Integrated Dry Sump" ... try searching those words in the document kindly linked above .... the word sump doens't even make it in once!

ps I am aware of the 3.8 C2S engine - it was on my order form!
.. and yes I do race a nice old cup car on slicks once in a while
Old 11-19-2015, 04:55 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HiWind
um ... ok Neaincu - I think we're talking across purposes ... just saying the documentation says "no" when AP said "yes". He also mentioned the "Integrated Dry Sump" ... try searching those words in the document kindly linked above .... the word sump doens't even make it in once! ps I am aware of the 3.8 C2S engine - it was on my order form! .. and yes I do race a nice old cup car on slicks once in a while
I have watched AP's EVO interview several times when the've introduced the GT4. It has been a while and I don't remember every word he had used,but lately he has said many things that have changed or weren't necessarily true. Please see my signature for one example.
Unfortunately,you will not interact with AP if a warranty claim has been put in place by your dealer. It will come down to your dealer,the relationship you have with them and Porsche's goodwill. I don't know how they'll know you have been using slicks...perhaps they can read the yaw inputs in your DME...again,I don't know...
The Carrera S 9A1 3.8 L engine has proven to be quite capable of handling track usage...even racing...please see several threads put out by BGB motorsports,where they have stated that they have raced this engine successfully. So " integrated sump or not "...it certainly seems it is capable. It might even be capable of handling slicks,it's just that Porsche won't cover any damage of doing so...
Old 11-19-2015, 06:00 PM
zmon
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 78 Posts

um guys, didn't they just launch a clubsport with the same powerplant on SLICKS!!!!!!!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:07 PM
Ochocoronas
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zmon
um guys, didn't they just launch a clubsport with the same powerplant on SLICKS!!!!!!!
Yes but the Clubsport comes with no warranty anyways. They could care less what you do with it once you pay!
Old 11-19-2015, 06:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by zmon
That car is meant for racing. It costs 165K $. Porsche builds street cars with around 100K miles of street reliability in mind. Race cars are built with a different perception. Those engines usually get rebuilt after a number of hours.
But I get your point : the engine might be capable of handling the extra stress from high cornering loads provided by slick tires.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:30 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

Page 15, DME engine electronics ... Anyone else find this odd?

"A 3.8 l engine is used in the new Cayman GT4. This is based on the 3.4 l mid-mounted
flat-six engine of the Cayman GTS."

I thought the motor is basically that of the 991S but slightly de-tuned? I know they are all some derivative of the 9A1 platform, but still ... why state that the motor is derived from the GTS rather than the 991?
Old 11-19-2015, 06:37 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by k997
Page 15, DME engine electronics ... Anyone else find this odd? "A 3.8 l engine is used in the new Cayman GT4. This is based on the 3.4 l mid-mounted flat-six engine of the Cayman GTS." I thought the motor is basically that of the 991S but slightly de-tuned? I know they are all some derivative of the 9A1 platform, but still ... why state that the motor is derived from the GTS rather than the 991?
Think about it : the 3.4 is a Carrera engine! It's the engine used in the Carrera making 350HP.
The Carrera S uses a 3.8 engine making 400HP,which is the exact same engine used in the GT4.

Quick Reply: GT4 Technical Documents Thread