Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

I think I may have lost the engine on my new GT4

Old 10-08-2015, 05:24 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default I think I may have lost the engine on my new GT4

This morning I took it for a long drive to break her in. Car was picked up last week and has only 350 miles, and all of the sudden as I am about to return back to my drive way, heavy knocking noises and tapping loud noises as well, coming from engine. I parked the car and shut off engine and went outside to inspect the car. Discovered entire side of my car full of oil and wheel wells dripping oil and especially the front ones. Oil level shows 3 green bars, oil temperature never climbed above 210F and oil pressure was around 35 psi and no cell or code or any warning and engine while warm, it is not hot at all. Called dealership and waiting for road assistance to load the car to take to sunset Porsche.

From what I heard it looks like the lifters are at least toast, but we shall see what they find out. Started as a great morning then turned bad quickly. Will keep u posted. Mark

Quick update........ The problem has been resolved and below is the final findings & including some of the updates I posted, so you don't have to go through the entire thread looking for answers......

1st update

As I mentioned I had the car towed to Sunset Porsche and these guys are great, they have dropped everything and as soon as the car arrived it was up on the lift and they start searching for the leak and diagnose the problem and made three separate calls through out the afternoon to me to give me updates.

However the findings are more baffling than what happened this morning. They could not find a source of all this oil drenching the wheel wells, and underside of the car and entire side of the car. There is so much oil, yet could not find the source and they are leaning towards that I may have drove on oil on the road. Of course it was mainly twisties and great roads and my tires have no oil on them. The other baffling thing, they could not find anything wrong with the car and that loud mechanical tapping sound that increased with RPM, is no longer there and the car sounds great and drives great and not a drip of oil from engine, transmission and differential is missing. They drove the car for over 30 minutes and the car feels strong and very normal. They did indicate they heard the tapping sound for few seconds after they started the car, but it disappeared after few seconds and can't replicate it nor can they detect any an usual noises from the engine or anywhere else.

I am really glad of their findings but this is like the twilight zone. I own a business that deals with building off road trucks and pumping engine packages (over 1000 units per year) and my business partner who was with me in the car is a certified engine builder and both of us heard the loud tapping sound for almost 1 mile, and when we stopped the car in my driveway, the sound was very loud and increased with RPM, and got much louder while going uphill towards my house and was still present while car was stationary on the driveway and 3 big puddles of oil under the car when I parked it on driveway. The sound was difinitelty coming from the engine and it was loud tapping sound exactly what you normally hear from the lifters starving for oil, mind you the engine was very warm and I have been driving the car for over 2 hrs when the noise appeared. It was louder than the exhaust. Feel like loosing my mind. Also wonder about the coincidences of hearing the noise and go out to inspect the car and finding all of this oil dripping from everywhere under the car. I don't know what to say except I feel like I am losing my mind.

The plan, for sunset to steam clean tonigh and tomorrow morning all the oil and give me the car back tomorrow, and I plan to drive the hell out of it this weekend and see if the noise reappears again. Would welcome any opinions regarding this.

I honestly resolved myself that I have lost an engine and it will be at least few weeks befor I see my baby again but the mystery remains and hopefully I get to the bottom of it, or get myself and my business partner committed for hearing noises. Again thanks for all the kind words and support and I will keep you updated with any new developments. Mark

Another quick update. I got my car back this morning after they ran all sort of tests and engine sounded great. They steamed underside of the car and removed all the oil & junk. The car drove great and strong on the way home. However as I am about to pull in my drive way the ticking sound returned. Really bizarre.

I am going to take car to my own shop and remove the under tray and inspect to see if there are rocks stuck on the belt. Car runs very strong and all gauges show normal readings. The sound seems metallic tapping or ticking sound. It is not as loud as yesterday but showed up again after 30 mile drive today.

Not really sure the oil spill & noise are related and it could be just a coincidence but I want to explore the theory that rocks made its way to engine pully and hopefully the noise continues as we pull the under tray and can take a better look. Will keep you posted. Mark

Final update...
Hi guys
I think we may have found the problem. I took the car to my shop and put it on the racks and by the way on the way back to the shop the noise have disappeared again. Anyway we removed the under tray and to my surprise there were so much little rocks and pebbles. I was shocked by how much was trapped there. For the life of me, I can't understand how all of this stuff got there. This is a mystery to me. We also inspected the area where the cooling fan and found few more rocks there. We have cleaned everything and I pressure washed all the areas under the tray and we dried everything off and put back everything together. I have driven over 60 miles on back roads, city street and highway and so far so good. No more ticking or tapping noise and car runs strong. I am hoping that was it, but will continue to add more miles this weekend and see if the noise comes back.
My theory is that I must have drove over freshly sealed tar that was still not dry and must have picked up tons of oil and also rocks and for some reason still not clear to me, some made it under the tray and into fans area and probably were making contact with engine pulley or also possibly the fan. Of course it has been a pain but a good lesson, and really what threw me off, is that I hear this loud tapping sound then I get out of the car and see oil dripping from everywhere so I immediately I assumed I lost my oil, and my lifters may be starving for lubrication and that I don't want to lose my engine. If the oil was not there I probably would have been more clam, and let the engine run more to allow me to do more diagnostic but after seeing the oil, I immediately shut the car off and only can speculate about what happened. Again I am hoping that was it, and I would like to thank all of you for the kind words and great support and also the great ideas which by the way one of them turned out to be the cause, so thank you. Mark

Last edited by mqandil; 10-10-2015 at 03:59 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:25 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 888 Likes on 336 Posts

That sucks. Subscribed.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:32 PM
drdonger
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear. Please keep us updated.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:35 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Oh WOW Mark,I'm shocked! So sorry to hear about this!
Old 10-08-2015, 05:37 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Maybe an oil line let go, and dumped all the oil. Sounds like you got her shut down right away. You might be OK. Good luck. They will be looking for any over-revs.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:47 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Sorry to heat that. Keep fingers crossed.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:52 PM
LexVan
Banned

Why would the front wheels be covered in oil? Is there an oil cooler up there in the front intake vents? I still think you lost an oil line or punctured your oil cooler.
Old 10-08-2015, 05:54 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. No over revs. Probably maximum RPM so far is 5800 miles may be once for couple of seconds. Again baffling part oil shows it is full, unless sensor is defective. Also oil temperature and oil pressure are all normal. Very baffling. Will post some pictures later today. Mark
Old 10-08-2015, 06:03 PM
hellboy_mcqueen
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Why would the front wheels be covered in oil? Is there an oil cooler up there in the front intake vents? I still think you lost an oil line or punctured your oil cooler.
Isnt there an oil cooler at the front?
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
Rob VN
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your engine. I don't think there is any engine oil running forward. The oil cooler/heater is on the engine. I fear it resembles the GT3 failures where a rod came thru the block. I hope they sort it out for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:08 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FelisMalicious
Isnt there an oil cooler at the front?
There could be. Not sure, by why does it show full oil, and oil pressure shows normal levels despite oil loss. Mark
Attached Images  
Old 10-08-2015, 06:11 PM
LexVan
Banned

Well, thank baby Jesus there wasn't a fire with all that oil and hot exhaust.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,080 Likes on 569 Posts

Are you sure its oil on the front wheels? sorry carl
Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Well, thank baby Jesus there wasn't a fire with all that oil and hot exhaust.
Amen. Really thank the lord it is just a car and can be fixed or replaced. Mark
Old 10-08-2015, 06:15 PM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 4carl
Are you sure its oil on the front wheels? sorry carl
Here is a picture
Attached Images  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I think I may have lost the engine on my new GT4