Sponsored by: APR

Aftermarket radio install - Pioneer Avic 5100NEX with Fusiondock

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking Aftermarket radio install - Pioneer Avic 5100NEX with Fusiondock

Hello everyone, as promised here is my write up on the aftermarket radio install on my GT4. I planned this from the beginning since I was not a fan of the PCM in my 991. Thankfully there was some cool stuff we were able to do with this install which I will detail below.

Equipment list:
Pioneer Avic 5100NEX ($519)
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...X/AVIC-5100NEX
Fusiondock iPhone interface ($395)
http://www.fvd.net/us/en/Porsche-0/-...1_and_991.html
Wiring harness adapter from Euro Motorspeed (Call them for price)
http://www.euromotorspeed.com/
Porsche radio sleeve ($119)
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK9X1DD.html

So the install was actually pretty painless. The wiring harness was something I tested for Euro Motorspeed as it was for the 997.2 and it worked fine with my base CDR31 radio except for the amplifier turn on lead. Euro Motorspeed expected that and may be modifying their 997.2 harness to work with the 981 so call them to get details. For my install we just tapped into the amp turn on feed directly to the Porsche radio harness. No cutting of the factory harness was required for this install and everything was bolt in. The Fusiondock install instructions basically show you everything you need to know in order to do the radio replacement.

http://www.fvd.net/pdf_show.php?o=da...64299101_1.pdf

Now some details on the install. The Pioneer navigation has two USB ports. The first port is Apple Carplay enabled so this is what the Fusiondock USB cable was connected to. The second USB port and Aux input were routed to the factory location in the glovebox. It looks just like the inputs for the higher end PCM option. The GPS antennae was located under the plastic windshield cowling so as not to be seen. I thought this was pretty slick and seems to work well. No ugly wart on my roof! The mic for the bluetooth was placed on the upper steering wheel column as that seemed to be the most unobtrusive place while still being directed at the driver (Pioneer uses a directional mic). The Porsche sleeve and trim cover worked great! It installs just like the factory radio and the trim matches the car perfectly. We did have to elongate the mounting holes for the attachment screws for the Pioneer so the radio could be mounted a little farther forward to better fit the trim plate but this was very easy to do. Other than that it was a pretty straightforward install and I am very happy with it.

I now have full navigation, Aux in, USB in, Bluetooth phone and audio, rear view camera option, Sirius/XM option, and Apple Carplay with a custom dock to hold the phone. Since Pioneer allows custom backgrounds I uploaded a Porsche theme so it looks more factory.

One thing on the Fusiondock, you will have to remove your case on the phone in order to insert it in. It is a pretty tight fit.

Now for some pics...

Pioneer Avic 5100NEX

Porsche aftermarket radio trim piece and sleeve

Fusiondock for iPhone in place of ashtray

Closer look at Fusiondock

Aux and USB inputs in glovebox

Clips for side trim on center console

Fusiondock install

Wiring harness adapter and Porsche radio sleeve with Pioneer unit already installed

Last edited by Reborn996; 10-05-2015 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typos
Old 10-03-2015, 07:31 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great and stock looking. Question on the Bluetooth mic. In the GT4 where is the stock one located in the car since the car originally had hands free Bluetooth? Couldn't you utilize that?

Was it hard to mount the gps?
Old 10-03-2015, 07:40 PM
Reborn996
Pro

The factory Bluetooth mics are actually also in the upper steering column cover (two slatted openings).... but they are hardwired into the harness so it was easier to just run the Pioneer mic to that same location. One difference is that the Pioneer mic is directional so it has to be pointed at the driver location. One of my goals with this install was to make it reversible so I can reinstall the factory radio with no issues so we left the factory harness alone.

The GPS was a pretty easy install from what I was told. If you look at the Fusiondock install instructions it basically tells you how to route the iPhone extension antennae to the cowling area... we did the same for the GPS antennae since it can be covered in plastic and still function.
Old 10-03-2015, 07:49 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Here are some pics to show you the factory mic location and the Pioneer mic.

Porsche factory Bluetooth mics behind slatted openings with Pioneer mic in middle

View of the Pioneer mic through the steering wheel
Old 10-03-2015, 08:40 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

I like the install very much the mic would bother me though...would like it hidden.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:55 PM
Reborn996
Pro

There was an option to use the factory mic's but that would require splicing into the factory harness.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:57 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Originally Posted by Reborn996
There was an option to use the factory mic's but that would require splicing into the factory harness.
Bummer was also thinking like you in case you wanted to sell the car to put the old head unit back in
Old 10-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Rhonda@FVD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Nice Install. Really like all the details. Enjoy the Fusion Dock!

Contact me directly to get the latest FVD forum member discount!

Rhonda Roxburgh
+1-954-571-2050 x 1
rhonda.roxburgh@fvd.net

Want to learn more about us? Click here...

Old 10-05-2015, 02:16 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Loving the Fusiondock...Especially the way the iPhone is locked into place once inserted. No worries about the phone sliding around or getting banged up anywhere even during spirited driving.

David
Old 10-05-2015, 02:26 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Loving the Fusiondock...Especially the way the iPhone is locked into place once inserted. No worries about the phone sliding around or getting banged up anywhere even during spirited driving.

David
Do you have a picture of it docked? I remember you said its a tight fit how thick of a case can you have if any.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:23 PM
Reborn996
Pro

I have been using my phone to take the pics... little hard to do when it is docked. LOL

My case is already thin and didn't fit, there is no way to insert it with a case on. For me removing the case is a 5 second operation so no big deal.
Old 10-05-2015, 03:25 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

I have been using my phone to take the pics... little hard to do when it is docked. LOL My case is already thin and didn't fit, there is no way to insert it with a case on. For me removing the case is a 5 second operation so no big deal.
Yeah that would be a game breaker for me. Bummer.
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

did you consider the Kenwood unit?
Old 10-05-2015, 09:58 PM
Reborn996
Pro

Nope, loyal Pioneer guy.

I really like the customization you can do with Pioneer. Check out www.avic411.com
Old 10-06-2015, 02:18 PM
xxrockmanxneoxx
Instructor

Originally Posted by s2ktaxi
did you consider the Kenwood unit?
I really like the kenwood since they use Garmin as their navigation but the Pioneer interface seems to be constructed very nice

Quick Reply: Aftermarket radio install - Pioneer Avic 5100NEX with Fusiondock