Sponsored by: APR

GT4 track alignment - parts heads up

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 11:08 AM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 799 Posts
Default GT4 track alignment - parts heads up

I just got off the phone with Manthey racing in Germany. They have worked numerous GT4s already.
As we know from Nur93 posts the rear toe cannot be adjusted once one exceeds 1.5 / 1.6 degree of camber and requires a different toe link.
Manthey confirmed this and added one more tidbit to the equation. They claim that a front camber of 2.5 or greater would be iffy with the front toe adjustment as well, leaving only about 1/2" of thread engaged.
Remember these guys are used to setting cars up for track duty. But they did mention that they had developed replacement toe link parts for both front and rear.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:23 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB
I just got off the phone with Manthey racing in Germany. They have worked numerous GT4s already.
As we know from Nur93 posts the rear toe cannot be adjusted once one exceeds 1.5 / 1.6 degree of camber and requires a different toe link.
Manthey confirmed this and added one more tidbit to the equation. They claim that a front camber of 2.5 or greater would be iffy with the front toe adjustment as well, leaving only about 1/2" of thread engaged.
Remember these guys are used to setting cars up for track duty. But they did mention that they had developed replacement toe link parts for both front and rear.
Thanks for the heads up. Did Manthey share with you any details around their parts (cost, availability, etc), and how they plan to set the cars up (camber and toe)? I have seen folks talk about 2.5 front and 2 rear camber settings but have been wondering how to get there without the aftermarket toe link parts.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:42 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgerber
Thanks for the heads up. Did Manthey share with you any details around their parts (cost, availability, etc), and how they plan to set the cars up (camber and toe)? I have seen folks talk about 2.5 front and 2 rear camber settings but have been wondering how to get there without the aftermarket toe link parts.
Awaiting a parts quote from them.

When I spoke with them they immediately thought track only and started talking about 3.5 F & 2.8 R camber. I stopped them there and indicated that it was to be a streetable car as well. They mentioned then to make sure to have at least .5 difference in camber F -> R. We did not get into toe discussions due to their track setup.

I talked to my mechanic about the caution they expressed for the front. He indicated that since the GT4 has the GT3 front it wouldn't get iffy with toe until you reached 3.0.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:41 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default GT4 track alignment - parts heads up

Good news on the fronts. Thanks again for sharing. Looking forward to the info you get on the details.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:49 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

A GT# car should be able to get track alignment without having to add after market pieces. Not impressed.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:28 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
A GT# car should be able to get track alignment without having to add after market pieces. Not impressed.
How did you adjust the caster on your car after increasing camber? Or did you?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:43 PM
hf1
Banned

How did you adjust the caster on your car after increasing camber? Or did you?
No idea. I bought it set up and my shop does the alignment. Are you saying they all need extra bits for decent camber?
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 939 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
My .2RS need shims and rear toe links to get things where I wanted (and keep it there). Annoying that out of the box the GT4 will need links, but I'd be adding them anyways....assuming someone sells them.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:57 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
No idea. I bought it set up and my shop does the alignment. Are you saying they all need extra bits for decent camber?
Yes. And other stuff.

I guess you're now no longer impressed with your GT# car since it needed parts and adjustments.

Old 08-17-2015, 04:07 PM
hf1
Banned

Yes. And other stuff.

I guess you're now no longer impressed with your GT# car since it needed parts and adjustments.

Oh, I'm well aware that my car has other parts and adjustments just thought that the ability to set more than -2.0 front and -1.7 rear camber on a GT# car came (and should come) out of the box.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:10 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just curious, but if you put a very aggressive track setup on your car, how will it effect your street driving?
I know some Ariel Atom buddies of mine put on some crazy setups for the track and ran slicks, but those were dedicated track cars and never saw the street.
What are the negative consequences of an aggressive track setup for the street?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:13 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
Oh, I'm well aware that my car has other parts and adjustments just thought that the ability to set more than -2.0 front and -1.7 rear camber on a GT# car came (and should come) out of the box.
Now you know that thinking and knowing are 2 different animals that don't always go hand in hand.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:17 PM
hf1
Banned

Originally Posted by Maverick1
What are the negative consequences of an aggressive track setup for the street?
You'll eat up the insides of your street tires faster unless, as is my case, your "street" driving is mostly on curvy back-roads. If that wasn't the case then a GT# car wouldn't be the optimal choice anyway.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:19 PM
hf1
Banned

Now you know that thinking and knowing are 2 different animals that don't always go hand in hand.
OK, pls educate me. What is the max front/rear camber to which a 996/997 GT3 could be set up out of the box? How does that compare to the GT4?
Old 08-17-2015, 04:29 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
OK, pls educate me. What is the max front/rear camber to which a 996/997 GT3 could be set up out of the box? How does that compare to the GT4?
That all depends on what the individual wants to do and their skill level. Canyon carving, curvy back roads, track driving all need different setups IMHO. Are you wanting to be cool and out run the next guy? Are you wanting to show off and brag to your friends? What are you after? Evaluate that in the first place and go from there. Then if you want to improve your skills go out and get an instructor to teach you more.

Edit:
We are now getting off track with this thread topic. Please start another one to address your questions.

Quick Reply: GT4 track alignment - parts heads up