Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Why such a big deal with scraping the front lip???

Old 08-05-2015, 07:16 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why such a big deal with scraping the front lip???

I the front of the GT4 is just like you are describing. The splitter is only a couple of inches wide and right behind it is a painted surface perhaps 1/2" to 1" higher than the black splitter. This surface is definitely going to get scraped. I worry that if you really smack the front end you could break the nose piece.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:21 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Last edited by neanicu; 08-31-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:25 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu

Wherever did you find a pic of Mav1s RV?

Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

I wonder if he's scraping...?
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

The bars are only a 1/2 solution IMO as they don't prevent scraping that occur going up an incline at an angle as in up my driveway. Done properly, I think an aluminum plate would improve aero as under the front end is the only thing that is not super smooth on the bottom. Anyway, it needs to be done if you want to protect the plastic with some material that can take the abuse and be (easily) replaced down the road.

Originally Posted by jphughan
I wonder what the aero impact would be of removing a deflector on the GT4. As for the skid plate, I emailed Schnell Autosports to see if they would be making a version of their scrape bar (hollow aluminum tube) for the GT4, but haven't heard back. Seems like a much lighter and simpler solution than a full skid plate.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:45 PM
987submariner
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the market demands it (seems like it's there for GT4), somebody will come up with a decent solution for it, outside of the aforementioned suggestions of just replacing the splitter as a wear part.

This was the case on the E36 M3s. Granted, not quite an apples-to-apples comparison, but several aftermarket suppliers came up with nice aluminum replacement solutions for the aerodynamic bits beneath the front lip spoiler to replace the factory plastic parts that were notorious for getting ripped up and tattered due to frequent scrapes.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:52 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 334 Posts

8 spoilers later!?!? Out of curiosity, at what point do you decide that the spoiler needs to be replaced? Does it split apart eventually, or does it start just looking so bad that you're willing to spend the cash to get a new one?
When they look scraped up and ratty...usually in conjunction with when I do a major detail myself. I usually have 1 or 2 in the garage and just pull the two screws and replace...then voila...new lip.

You may at times scrape the area under the nose but honestly, I don't buy cars to bubble wrap them.

FWIW, i've also replaced the brake ducts on my GT3 a couple of times. THey're about 200ish each. Go for a lawn mow or gravel trap and you're likely going to lose one. Easy to replace also.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:53 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

To be honest, my biggest concern right now is how the Cup 2s will perform in the cold and rain since I will at least for a while be DDing this car. I've seen a whole range of impressions, from people claiming that grip falls off disconcertingly if the temperature drops even below 60 F to others saying that as long as you're on your game and dial it back a bit, you can drive them without risking your life even in heavy rain, very cold weather, and even light snow. The different Cup 2 variants out there likely accounts for the wide variety of impressions, so I'm not sure what to expect.
In heavier rain, don't expect to keep up with the faster highway traffic. In my BMW and PSS tires, I can still go 80mph without feeling the car is unstable. On an R-comp you may have to back off to 60mph and stay in the slower lanes.

I can't offer much advice re cold weather since I live in LA. But I have had situations on R888s where I tried to accelerate briskly onto a freeway onramp within .5 mile of starting the car and needed to input steering correction. In my Lotus with all of 138 .lbs ft. of torque. Even if the ambient temperature is warm, the tires still need some heat before they will grip, unlike a tire like PSS which seems to have good trip straight away.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vantage
In heavier rain, don't expect to keep up with the faster highway traffic. In my BMW and PSS tires, I can still go 80mph without feeling the car is unstable. On an R-comp you may have to back off to 60mph and stay in the slower lanes.

I can't offer much advice re cold weather since I live in LA. But I have had situations on R888s where I tried to accelerate briskly onto a freeway onramp within .5 mile of starting the car and needed to input steering correction. In my Lotus with all of 138 .lbs ft. of torque. Even if the ambient temperature is warm, the tires still need some heat before they will grip, unlike a tire like PSS which seems to have good trip straight away.
Thanks! I'm perfectly fine having to drive slowly in heavy rain since I don't spend much time on the freeway as it is. I just want there to BE a safe way to drive these tires in the rain short of literally creeping down a road. I'm hoping that the fact that R888s are technically one step even above Cup 2s on aggressiveness accounts for what you described in terms of accelerating in cold weather. I don't need or expect Cup 2s to be hugely sticky in cold weather conditions, and if I even have to just drive it like a regular car during those times rather than carrying real speed through corners or mashing the throttle on straights, I can live with that. But when it's very cold out (Austin bottoms out around 32 F for the year, although during that time you can have one day at 32 and the next at 65), I don't want to feel like my options are either not driving at all or going out and constantly feeling at risk of wrecking even when driving like a normal person.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:46 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts

I got caught in torrential downpour once on R888s and had to go 45mph on the freeway. Boy it felt "exciting" I.e. Scary lol.

I would fear the tire getting damaged in freezing weather.

You will be okay since gt4 is not the only car available to you.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:01 AM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

Hey, how did you get that pic of my ride?
Who hacked my computer.
By the way it doesn't scrape, got a 1 foot hydraulic lift.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:40 AM
user1029
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 266 Posts

If it's scraped, Plastidip it
If it's cracked, black ziptie it
Old 08-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 112 Posts

I have a similar issue with my 997 factory aero kit after lowering the car. I used this technic to provide protection at a inexpensive price point. It's bailed be out a few times! It might help you GT4 guys - if not please forgive the post.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...package-3.html

Best,

Matt
Old 08-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I have a similar issue with my 997 factory aero kit after lowering the car. I used this technic to provide protection at a inexpensive price point. It's bailed be out a few times! It might help you GT4 guys - if not please forgive the post.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...package-3.html

Best,

Matt
I've not seen that before. Thanks for sharing Matt.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:10 PM
LAGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 981Cs

I have a 2014 981CS. I scraped the front on a driveway a few weeks after getting the car. When I go home I realized the rubber lip was half off and dragging, so I removed it. I am on JRZ coilovers, so I ride a little lower than stock.

Is there an aluminum skid-plate that is recommended?

Any thoughts on this product:
https://www.scrapearmor.com/products...n-2014-current

Or will this just reduce my clearance even more?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Why such a big deal with scraping the front lip???