Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 arrived with a working speedo and some pro and cons.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 PM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Default GT4 arrived with a working speedo and some pro and cons.

Got my GT4 and realize that the speedo is about 1mph or less off from my GPS phone speed. This was one of my pet peeves from Porsche. Looks like they finally did it right and this may be the keeper!

Pros.
1. Speedo is finally accurate
2. Super great ride. Better than the Lancer Evolution, S2000CR, WRX STI, Fiesta ST. Stiff but takes waves and micro bumps very well!
3. Great electric power steering. Accurate and the car probably feels like a 997 GT3 if it has the old Porsche unit but even electric it still has feel and one of the best EPS units. Different than the 987.
4. Would get duel climate again since auto climate it is.
5. Comes with real aluminum trim.
6. love my 2 way seats. Comfortable and can go lower than the power seats. I checked them out on a regular cayman before ordering.

Cons.
1. Electric Ebrake is annoying. You need to step on brake to release
2. Rear wing effect like the STI, Evo, S2000CR , GT3's so you know what to expect.
3. You get Dunlop or Michelins without a choice.
4. Front noise is long with lip that may get scratched. Wish it rode 1 inch higher or offered a lift option.
5. Gearing is even too long for the street.
6. 2000 miles of under 4000rpms....
7. Wish the steering wheel is aluminum instead of plastic.
8. Plastic ac trim is more shiny than the cup holder trim. Is there a option to change that? If so you guys should do it.

Overall, this car is messing with my mind. This is comfortable enough as a daily driver and no other daily drive I can think of as this level of "feel" and precision as a Porsche.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2015, 12:12 AM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

It does seem like people with relatively smooth roads in their area are having no trouble at all with the ride quality. Ground clearance w/o lift seems to be an issue.

Thanks for the impressions.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:15 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Not having LWBs helps with ride quality too.

Interior pics?
Old 08-03-2015, 01:02 AM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by Dyim
Not having LWBs helps with ride quality too.

Interior pics?
I went with silver stitching.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,021 Likes on 545 Posts

Nice.

Silver belts?

Agree with cheap plastic on steering wheel. Made more apparent when you have real aluminum trim on dash and door. At least it matches the plastic around the dash vents. However, the new 918 style wheel looks a lot better to my eyes, and feel better, than the Sport Design steering wheel (which I thought look great before the 918 wheel came out). The SD wheel has even bigger slabs of silver plastic.

Now I am slightly concerned about the long gearing, seems to be a common complaint.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Ajjra
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anyone considered painting the plastic parts of the steering wheel? This used to be a Porsche exclusive option on the 997
Old 08-03-2015, 09:53 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,393 Likes on 2,511 Posts

Porsche seems to have really dialed in their digital speedos now. Mine is also within 1mph on my 991. Not like the old days when they were set to read about 3mph fast.
Old 08-03-2015, 11:30 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Gearing concerns me too, but I'm also wondering if this is just a case of people needing to adapt their style from other cars. Also, people following the break-in will feel the gearing is even worse since they'll be avoiding the power band. I'd say gearing impressions on the road should wait until people have at least 3K miles on the car to have gotten a feel for it.

Nice to see this interior shot. I'll be doing essentially the same thing except LWBs, leather steering column, and leather wheel and shifter. Surprised not to have found any pics of that last option yet considering how many people talked about optioning it earlier; I'd like to see that even though my decision was based on durability rather than aesthetics. Still sort of considering black aluminum since on the GT4 it seems to be more pewter than pitch black like on the other 981s and 991s. And as I suspected, lack of Sport Chrono doesn't bother me in the least, in fact it me a while to notice it was even missing. That huge second hand moving all of the time in the middle of the dash would bug me, particularly since there are two other clocks in the instrument cluster and PCM, so that combined with the idea of paying $2K for it? Pass.
Old 08-03-2015, 12:22 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
I went with silver stitching.
Nice!

Did you option PCM or CDR+?
Old 08-03-2015, 12:51 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of points:

-I have had a '14 CS as a DD for the last year and a half. Yes, second gear is pretty tall, but the car has been a pleasure to drive on the street. An extra 60hp should only make this better. I have not had the car on the track, so I can't really comment on how the gearing works there.

-The sport steering wheel on my CS is metal, not plastic. I think the new steering wheel spokes are also metal, at least it seems that way from the ones I've seen in the showroom (918 and Macan). I would be very disappointed to find out Porsche is putting painted plastic spokes on an $850,000 car.

rickdm
Old 08-03-2015, 02:02 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

The rectangular black inserts inside of the spokes of the new wheel are definitely plastic. I've read a few complaints about this on other forums but it's just one of those minor things. That's also why I wouldn't get carried away with leather options...the plastic that is left behind only looks worse.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:10 PM
Maverick1
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Funny you bring the speedo up, the one in my 05 Boxster is 3mph higher than the actual speed posted on those radar digital signs in school zones.
I always thought my car was an anomaly.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick1
Funny you bring the speedo up, the one in my 05 Boxster is 3mph higher than the actual speed posted on those radar digital signs in school zones.
I always thought my car was an anomaly.
Many of my cars had that anomaly, to the point where I thought it was a way to avoid legal hassles for the car companies.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:33 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Inrev
Many of my cars had that anomaly, to the point where I thought it was a way to avoid legal hassles for the car companies.
Most European cars had optimistic speedometers due to Euro regulations that provided stiff penalties for under-reporting your speed. As a result manufacturers always calibrated on the low side in order to account for tire wear and/or slightly oversized tires. I suspect that they cross-check with GPS nowadays and calibrate "on the fly".
Old 08-03-2015, 09:48 PM
gtr
Racer

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
Nice!

Did you option PCM or CDR+?
CDR+, actually only wanted the uprated stereo and CDR+ ensured that.

Quick Reply: GT4 arrived with a working speedo and some pro and cons.