Sponsored by: APR

GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 04:12 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts
Default GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop

The set on my GT3 lasted 6k miles, 4 track days and still have some life. Slide your scale accordingly based on use. My guess is 10k miles and no track or 8 track days and no street.

I imagine the GT4 maybe a bit longer due to weight and balance.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:31 PM
MP4L
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FCH80
Hi Guys

My GT4 is confirmed for a September build and a November delivery, however to my surprise when i went to visit my dealership they were about to deliver one with Dunlop tires instead of Michelin. The sales guy told me that for this specific production month they came all fitted with Dunlop. Personally i prefer Michelin as they are a bit more durable around the track. Are you guys aware of that? as i thought it only comes with Michelin...
My car is confirmed for Last week of Aug delivery, on the spec sheet I received from the SA it is coming with Dunlops, I was a bit disappointed especially since I will be street driving it 90% of the time. Dunlops treadwear rating is 80 compared to 180 for the Michelins so lifetime is significantly shorter from what I have been reading

I hope your car comes with Michelins, this way we can compare.
See you on Dubai roads.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:10 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,088 Likes on 572 Posts

Just checked mine has Mich due into San Diego 8/14. Finished production 6/29. vin 197336..carl
Old 07-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Manifold
Rennlist Member

Location: Mid-Atlantic (on land, not in the middle of the ocean)
Received 3,793 Likes on 2,194 Posts

The Dunlop is a good road tire, and adequate on track for novice and intermediate drivers, but it will disintegrate when subjected to hard track use. The Sport Cup 2 is vastly superior for track use.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:30 AM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

My thoughts exactly Chris.

My first week will include an hour on the track in Leipzig, 1,500 miles through Europe including passes in the Alps, then about 20 laps on Nurburgring. Probably will burn through the Dunlops. So, I'm not stressing over what tires came with the car as I will have new Michelins installed when it arrives in the states.

On a related topic - seams cold weather storage is a problem for the Michelin Cup 2s as I've seen pics and reports of them cracking in sub-freezing temps and Michelin saying don't store them freezing temperatures. Not a problem here in Florida but would be concern for those way up north. Will your wife let you store them in the spare bedroom? !!!

Originally Posted by ChrisF
Honestly, if you drive street, you'll never notice the difference. If you drive track, neither will last long enough to matter.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 PM
Bullitt44
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Mine showed up with Michelins the other one on the truck had Dunlops. Looks like a crap shoot.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:17 AM
gtr
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine came with Dunlops (June Build). Which tires are better? I don't know much about these Dunlops.
Old 08-01-2015, 06:12 AM
mqandil
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gtr
Mine came with Dunlops (June Build). Which tires are better? I don't know much about these Dunlops.
They are both great tires with amazing dry grip. The Dunlops performs slightly better on wet roads. However the Michelin will perform better, hold up & last much longer on the track. So if you are planning to track your car, you would be better off with Michelins, otherwise it really should not matter what tire do you get. The car should be a blast with either tire. Mark
Old 08-02-2015, 05:53 AM
FCH80
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4L
My car is confirmed for Last week of Aug delivery, on the spec sheet I received from the SA it is coming with Dunlops, I was a bit disappointed especially since I will be street driving it 90% of the time. Dunlops treadwear rating is 80 compared to 180 for the Michelins so lifetime is significantly shorter from what I have been reading

I hope your car comes with Michelins, this way we can compare.
See you on Dubai roads.

Just came back from vacation, will check with my SA if they already know about my tire fittings. see you soon on the roads
Old 08-10-2015, 11:02 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I emailed my SA regarding what tire will be coming with my car, which was built in the first week of July. Turns out it is coming with Dunlops ( Prob in the end of Aug beginning of Sept)
I was looking forward to the Michelin's but its was not to be...
I am planning on doing a few track events in the future, so I am assuming I will get 6K miles out of them before the next tire change
Ironically where I live (being its a pretty temperate climiate and we have been in a drought for the past 4 yrs the Michelins might have been a better choice
Hey, I am just happy I am getting a car
Regards
Ed
ps I was reading in a earlier post that the Dunlops are an 80 treadwear rating ?? Wow that is low ( My RA1's have that or a higher rating )
Old 08-10-2015, 11:41 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I was reading in a earlier post that the Dunlops are an 80 treadwear rating ?? Wow that is low ( My RA1's have that or a higher rating )
You can't compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers, as the "baseline" is all over the map. Hell, sometimes you can't even compare tires made by the same manufacturer, as many are gaming the system to make their "street" tires eligible for street tire classes. Those in the know figure the Dunlops and Michelins are about equally sticky, with the Michelins maybe wearing slightly better.
Old 08-10-2015, 11:52 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ChrisF
The set on my GT3 lasted 6k miles, 4 track days and still have some life. Slide your scale accordingly based on use. My guess is 10k miles and no track or 8 track days and no street.

I imagine the GT4 maybe a bit longer due to weight and balance.
Interesting, from what I've read in Manifold's posts where he summarizes impressions from owners around the world, it's not unusual for 991 GT3s to get 8 track days out of the Cup 2s. It seems your GT3 was a 997.2 based on your sig? Was it running Cup 2s as well or the original Cups? Either way, between the GT4's lower weight and lower horsepower which means less longitudinal acceleration coming onto straights and less braking to do at the other end, I'm optimistic about the life I can expect out of them.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:48 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
You can't compare treadwear ratings between manufacturers, as the "baseline" is all over the map. Hell, sometimes you can't even compare tires made by the same manufacturer, as many are gaming the system to make their "street" tires eligible for street tire classes. Those in the know figure the Dunlops and Michelins are about equally sticky, with the Michelins maybe wearing slightly better.
Got ya
Well thanks for trying to make me feel better anyway
Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
this ^^^
Old 08-11-2015, 12:55 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 891 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Interesting, from what I've read in Manifold's posts where he summarizes impressions from owners around the world, it's not unusual for 991 GT3s to get 8 track days out of the Cup 2s. It seems your GT3 was a 997.2 based on your sig? Was it running Cup 2s as well or the original Cups? Either way, between the GT4's lower weight and lower horsepower which means less longitudinal acceleration coming onto straights and less braking to do at the other end, I'm optimistic about the life I can expect out of them.
Yes, this is from my .2 and yes was/am running Cup2's. Different cars, drivers skill levels, alignments. I provided the data point to underscore that they have great grip and vastly improved longevity.

As far as number of track days, notice the street miles too. Those were not driving Miss Daisy miles either

Quick Reply: GT4: Michelin vs Dunlop