GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Changing gear ratios

Old 07-08-2015, 02:46 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

It's not just vmax. It's also cafe. What kind of highway gas mileage that car sees comes into play as well. They need to find a balance point between the two.

One final comment on the 2nd gear thing. You will find zero disagreement with me at all that 2nd gear could be improved. The GT3RS, with essentially the same final drive as a GT4, got a 2.26 2nd gear, which is even shorter than a 997 Cup. It's mechanical advantage. It will have more thrust force to the ground and accelerate more quickly. And when mated to the correct 3rd gear will get you to something like 100mph more quickly.

My skepticism is rooted in my role as a manufacturer of motorsports parts. If I can't make it and sell it to racers then I won't make it. Maybe the market will change in the future. I don't have a crystal ball. I just know that history has shown that a lot of guys post on the internet about all of these mods that they are going to do... when the warranty runs out! Very few crack into the gearbox until year 2 or 3 of ownership with the exception of putting in an LSD. It's not cost effective. Do the labor to install gears when it comes time to rebuild the gearbox. That's what almost everyone does. The RSRangers and PJSmiths of the world are the exception, not the rule in Street/DE owners. What's my point? My point is we've got time. If the market for this materializes I will make the parts. I'm just not going to try to make the market.
Old 07-08-2015, 10:08 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Two of our kits actually only change 3-5. Even with the 3.8 how many are going over 160mph at a DE? So we pull them in while leaving your highway 6th intact. I've done a couple for nor cal guys and even with our shortest stack they will never see 6th at the LS,SP, TH trifecta. So we are just those as 3 gears kits even on racecars.
Makes sense - save's a grand and adds back fuel econonmy and a quiet drive on the highway on your way to and from the track!
Old 10-07-2017, 02:30 PM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We just released our shorter final drive ratio to take care of that long gearing : )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing gear ratios