Sponsored by: APR

Another video review of the GT4 but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
LWB's were comfy below the waist, but I can tell that more lumbar support would be welcome. Overall good - felt right around the shoulders. Look great and support was good - made me wish I could drive it!
Solution, available in two different sizes: http://www.tempurpedic.com/cushions/...barcushion.asp. I've never used the lumbar support on any cars I've owned or driven that had it available, so I doubt this will be an issue for me, but somebody mentioned this elsewhere and I was glad to see that there was a simple, effective, and relatively inexpensive mod to make LWBs more serviceable on a day to day basis if needed.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:02 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,720 Likes on 2,691 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
Solution, available in two different sizes: http://www.tempurpedic.com/cushions/...barcushion.asp. I've never used the lumbar support on any cars I've owned or driven that had it available, so I doubt this will be an issue for me, but somebody mentioned this elsewhere and I was glad to see that there was a simple, effective, and relatively inexpensive mod to make LWBs more serviceable on a day to day basis if needed.
Thanks - that one looks good. I had considered this inflatable one for Euro Delivery, since it would be super easy to pack in luggage uninflated and might be good on the plane too:

http://www.relaxtheback.com/back-cus...t-bow-tie.html

I need to test drive some of these various supports...
Old 07-01-2015, 09:20 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by neanicu
Thank you for agreeing with me that Porsche held it back so that it won't step on 911's " toes ". This car could've had 430HP all day long!
Old 07-01-2015, 10:19 AM
jphughan
Drifting

Thank you for agreeing with me that Porsche held it back so that it won't step on 911's " toes ". This car could've had 430HP all day long!
Well most things are possible for a price. I think it's a little unfair for people to be so thrilled at the much lower than expected price AND miffed that the car doesn't have more power. I understand that a base price $20K higher wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for some here and that they therefore may have preferred Porsche had gone that route, but the explanation of the necessarily more restrictive intake and exhaust designs on the Cayman causing some horsepower to be lost over the same engine in the 991S seems plausible to me. Could it be designed around? Possibly, even likely, and if so it sounds like BGB may well be the people to figure out how -- but if they do, I'll be very interested in their assessment of how much more it would have cost Porsche to build that configuration at the factory and any aesthetic or other tradeoffs that achieving the extra horsepower required.

Honestly I think the horsepower restriction is more about keeping the cost of the car down than preserving a hierarchy. If money had been no object on this car, Porsche could have designed for it a custom engine between the 9A1 and the GT3-modified version, a rear multi-link suspension that would have fit, shorter gear ratios including the ones on the mainshaft, maybe an e-diff that doesn't require a PDK pump to drive it, etc. But then it wouldn't have the base price that it does.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:25 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Well most things are possible for a price. I think it's a little unfair for people to be so thrilled at the much lower than expected price AND miffed that the car doesn't have more power. I understand that an extra $20K wouldn't even raise an eyebrow for some here that therefore they may have preferred Porsche had gone that route, but the explanation of the necessarily more restrictive intake and exhaust designs on the Cayman causing some horsepower to be lost over the same engine in the 991S seems plausible to me. Could it be designed around? Possibly, even likely, and if so it sounds like BGB may well be the people to figure out how -- but if they do, I'll be very interested in their assessment of how much more it would have cost Porsche to build that configuration at the factory.

Honestly I think the horsepower restriction is more about keeping the cost of the car down than preserving a hierarchy. If money had been no object, Porsche could have done a custom engine between the 9A1 and the GT3-modified version, designed a rear multi-link suspension that would have fit, shortened the gear ratios including the ones on the mainshaft, etc. But then it wouldn't have the base price that it does.
The intake and exhaust are marketing BS,trust me,I've been following Porsche for a while. It wouldn't have costed Porsche anything,but it would've gotten way too close to the GT3's performance level and they couldn't have built a GT4RS.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:28 AM
jphughan
Drifting

The intake and exhaust are marketing BS,trust me,I've been following Porsche for a while. It wouldn't have costed Porsche anything,but it would've gotten way too close to the GT3's performance level and they couldn't have built a GT4RS.
Hmm, ok. Well I'm the newbie here so I'm happy to defer to higher authorities, but out of curiosity, are you implying that significantly more horsepower is possible with the existing intake and exhaust setup and that this engine is just limited by its ECU tune, or that they somehow intentionally restricted the intake and exhaust in ways they didn't have to? The latter seems like it would be pretty obvious to someone knowledgeable who tore into the car to take a look.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:36 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Hmm, ok. Well I'm the newbie here so I'm happy to defer to higher authorities, but out of curiosity, are you implying that significantly more horsepower is possible with the existing intake and exhaust setup and that this engine is just limited by its ECU tune, or that they somehow intentionally restricted the intake and exhaust in ways they didn't have to? The latter seems like it would be pretty obvious to someone knowledgeable who tore into the car to take a look.
This engine can be had with the Powerkit option from Porsche,which increases power from 400HP to 430HP. Porsche is stating that they couldn't use the same intake found in the Powerkit on the GT4 because of clearance issues. I highly doubt that. I'm sure BGB has a lot more experience since they've been doing Cayman conversions for a while now.

Quick Reply: Another video review of the GT4 but...