Notices
GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Anybody going to want a 5 or 6 year old nav system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 04:22 PM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

Found it:
http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-b...-pictures.html

Old 06-08-2015, 05:09 PM
acey81
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jphughan
That is indeed very sleek, possibly even better than the T-Design mount I discovered here earlier, but it would still leave me with several issues:

- It blocks an air vent, which in Texas can be a real problem, especially since I'd mostly likely use the phone in landscape mode, which would block said vent even more effectively.

- Phone UIs just aren't designed to be used from that far away. Maybe if I had a phablet, but I don't want a phone that large. Increased difficulty using a phone from a greater than intended distance means increased frustration and increased distraction from the road. Even the largest phone display isn't as large as the PCM display, nor would the keys to enter addresses and such be.

- Charging the phone in a GT4 would be tricky. I'd either have to keep a charger permanently connected in the passenger footwell outlet just sitting there all the time, or else keep them in the center armrest and connect them to the Smoking Package outlet on-demand each time I want to charge my phone while in its holder. Neither of those is a particularly elegant solution, though admittedly this is an issue with Porsche's power outlet placement, not the Kenu. I'm still irritated that Porsche moved the USB port from the armrest to the less-reachable-especially-from-LWBs glovebox.

- If I didn't get PCM, I'd at least get CDR+ for the higher-res display and Bluetooth audio streaming, and although I'd save cash, I'd pick up that stupid roof wart as a result.
I use the Kenu for my iPhone 6 Plus on the middle right air went in my GTS with a short black cable to the USB-port in the glovebox (hardly noticeable). Works very well, and the USB also gives added bonus of better sound quality than the Bluetooth streaming. With Siri entering addresses is faster than the OEM system, and Google Maps are always up to date. The Kenu will not work on track however, just a tip.

I ordered the CDR+ to get USB Port, Streaming (with album covers even with Spotify) and the higher resolution screen. Can't believe Porsche will actually charge you for this and I can't believe how crap the standard system is.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:22 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by acey81
I use the Kenu for my iPhone 6 Plus on the middle right air went in my GTS with a short black cable to the USB-port in the glovebox (hardly noticeable). Works very well, and the USB also gives added bonus of better sound quality than the Bluetooth streaming. With Siri entering addresses is faster than the OEM system, and Google Maps are always up to date. The Kenu will not work on track however, just a tip.

I ordered the CDR+ to get USB Port, Streaming (with album covers even with Spotify) and the higher resolution screen. Can't believe Porsche will actually charge you for this and I can't believe how crap the standard system is.
Hmm, I hadn't considered using the glovebox USB port because I didn't think a cable could snake into there while the glovebox was closed. That works without unduly pinching the cable? Good to know. I don't know that it will prompt me to switch to CDR+ since it doesn't solve my other issues, but I'll give it some thought. Every time I think I've nailed down my build....
Old 06-08-2015, 07:31 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

Long term a car with nav will be worth significantly less IMHO. This rule is nearly universal- I can't think of any ~10+ year old car I'd want with nav rather than without- but it's doubly true for sports cars.

My BMW 1M has nav, but just 4 years from new many buyers are already specifically looking for cars without, and it's quite likely that having the option is already hurting my car's value. Many technology options are similar, and I see them as a balance between short-term comfort/ convenience and long-term value. This is a consideration only for certain types of cars, but the GT4 is probably one of them.

With this in mind, along with the extreme "value based pricing" Porsche uses for its options in general, the only tech option I personally speced was sport chrono/ track precision.
Old 06-08-2015, 07:43 PM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

After reading this and further thought, I think I will DELETE the radio - liking the look of the empty space more and more . A/C stays and you still get bluetooth phone I think?? Maybe not?
Old 06-08-2015, 08:24 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdm
So as I configure my GT4 I have included the CDR Plus Audio System, but not the nav system. I have the nav on my '14 CS and never use it. So if I decide to sell this car in 5 or 6 years is anybody going to care? Is it worth $1,200 for resale?

rickdm
I didn't think so and it is a lot more than that to fix if it goes out, so if you don't have it you don't have that issue to be concerned with in the future.

There are so many ways to get NAV - the car Nav is a convenience but really obsolete, especially in light of the cost. Any phone will do.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:32 PM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by acey81
Can't believe Porsche will actually charge you for this (USB Port) and I can't believe how crap the standard system is.
Both the standard and the CDR plus are not good stereo systems. I did not do delete as I can upgrade and use the stock wiring to the doors, dash etc. for speakers. You can always add USB port when you upgrade. But not sure I will even do that as the noise the car makes will be all the sound I will need.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:46 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Petevb
Long term a car with nav will be worth significantly less IMHO. This rule is nearly universal- I can't think of any ~10+ year old car I'd want with nav rather than without- but it's doubly true for sports cars.

My BMW 1M has nav, but just 4 years from new many buyers are already specifically looking for cars without, and it's quite likely that having the option is already hurting my car's value. Many technology options are similar, and I see them as a balance between short-term comfort/ convenience and long-term value. This is a consideration only for certain types of cars, but the GT4 is probably one of them.

With this in mind, along with the extreme "value based pricing" Porsche uses for its options in general, the only tech option I personally speced was sport chrono/ track precision.
I know what you mean about wanting older cars that specifically don't have nav, but I don't think that will apply to this car -- not because of the model, but because of the design. On your 1M, having nav meant getting the extra hump in the dashboard for the iDrive display and the iDrive control **** on the center console, whereas those wouldn't exist on a car that lacked nav. On this car, unless you go full Radio Delete, you get a head unit no matter what, and the design of the cabin is the same no matter which head unit you get. Even the head units themselves look similar. And in fact if you get CDR+, you get the same head unit as you would with PCM, just without the nav software -- but WITH non-functional Navi and Map buttons, which might be more irritating than having nav that you don't need or want. So except for people who really want Radio Delete and insist on it having come that way from the factory rather than just doing it themselves, I don't think PCM will detract from the long-term value of the car. But I doubt it will add anything either.

Last edited by jphughan; 06-08-2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:01 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,380 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by JUPJAI
After reading this and further thought, I think I will DELETE the radio - liking the look of the empty space more and more . A/C stays and you still get bluetooth phone I think?? Maybe not?
Why would you still get bluetooth with a radio delete? How would you expect it to function?
Old 06-09-2015, 12:25 AM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 282 Posts

I know what you mean about wanting older cars that specifically don't have nav, but I don't think that will apply to this car -- not because of the model, but because of the design. On your 1M, having nav meant getting the extra hump in the dashboard for the iDrive display and the iDrive control **** on the center console, whereas those wouldn't exist on a car that lacked nav.
I take your point re the 1M design being an eyesore, but nav is still another thing to go wrong, maps still go out of date, and it's extra weight which is added (in theory more than practice). Much of the attraction to a car like the 1M or the GT4 is the back to basics, no frills approach. Deleting nav adds to this, as does deleting nearly everything else (even seat heaters, etc) eyesore or not.

Long term I believe the most sought after cars will be strippers, as de-contented as possible. That already seems the trend with the 1M, and that's also the trend with older Porsches. The 964 RS America is an extreme example, a stripped, de-contented, cheaper 964 Carrera that sold for 10K less when new. Used as a daily driver it's harder to live with and likely worth less. As a weekend car or to a collector, however, the car's purity and simplicity adds value, and today it's worth 3x as much as a Carrera. Carrera RS lightweights are worth far more than the regular ones, etc. While I don't see the 1M or GT4 getting near that point, I do think less is more unless we're talking performance options, and eventually (more like 20 years out) even AC and radio delete will sought-after- these will be the purest, most purposeful versions of a pure and purposeful car.

I'm not buying my car for the next guy and I live in California- AC and radio stay in my car. But that's my hunch. Of course I've been wrong before.

Last edited by Petevb; 06-09-2015 at 02:28 AM.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:08 AM
JUPJAI
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ExMB

Why would you still get bluetooth with a radio delete? How would you expect it to function?
Good point. Ok speaker cellphone
Old 06-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

- Charging the phone in a GT4 would be tricky. I'd either have to keep a charger permanently connected in the passenger footwell outlet just sitting there all the time, or else keep them in the center armrest and connect them to the Smoking Package outlet on-demand each time I want to charge my phone while in its holder. Neither of those is a particularly elegant solution, though admittedly this is an issue with Porsche's power outlet placement, not the Kenu. I'm still irritated that Porsche moved the USB port from the armrest to the less-reachable-especially-from-LWBs glovebox.

- If I didn't get PCM, I'd at least get CDR+ for the higher-res display and Bluetooth audio streaming, and although I'd save cash, I'd pick up that stupid roof wart as a result.
- You can facilitate charging your device by selecting the no charge "smokers package" which adds plug below the shifter.
- I believe the US configurator has changed/been updated to reflect that the standard and CDR + options in the US get you the same "high-res" display.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:21 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Petevb
Just one man's opinion but..

I think the nav will add nothing to resale value even one year down the road, let alone 10. I base that assumption on a few things:
- the GT4 is a GT car. Usually, buyers are more concerned with performance options rather than convenience/luxury options.
- the current version of PCM which was released several years ago was obsolete the very second it was rolled off the line. It's world's better than Porsche's last generation nav but it's still utter crap when compared to what some other auto manufacturers offer let alone free or dirt cheap apps which are readily available for every smartphone, phablet, tablet on the planet.
- lease residuals for PCM are terrible.

Do I think it will actually hurt values? Maybe given the cost to replace PCM with an OEM part, but if it does, I don't think it will be significant.

When I bought my E90 M3, I specifically looked for a non-Idrive car for many of the reasons I outlined above. I would have paid a bit more for one. But I couldn't find a good condition example with a three pedal manual in a color and condition that I was happy with. So I settled for an I drive car. And it's crap, it's clunky, and I use it as little as possible. And if and when it bites the dust, it will cost a small fortune to fix/repair.

Having said all that... I strongly think the best course of action is to buy the car YOU want. Don't buy it for residual values or the next guy! Almost every new car is a TERRIBLE investment so buy what you want, drive the **** out of it, take care of it, and enjoy it. If nav is important and useful to you (and I know a lot of people who are terrible with directions and use their nav damn near every day) then do it.

For me, I'm saving the $ for tires.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:27 PM
jphughan
Drifting

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
- You can facilitate charging your device by selecting the no charge "smokers package" which adds plug below the shifter.
- I believe the US configurator has changed/been updated to reflect that the standard and CDR + options in the US get you the same "high-res" display.
I'll be getting the Smoker's Package, but having seen it in person, I doubt I'll be able to close the lid with a charger connected, even something like the Aukey CC-S1 that's so low profile it can be difficult to remove, which is why I use the Scosche USBC242M instead. That would mean I'd be moving the charger and cable to the Smoker's Package outlet on-demand and then storing them back in the center armrest when I'm done, or else permanently have my Smoker's Package door open and have a USB cable permanently sitting in the cabin. Connecting my phone to a power outlet charger would also mean that I couldn't connect the phone to the car via USB at the same time. I totally realize I'm nit-picking here, and these concerns are definitely pretty trivial to me given that we're talking about a GT4. I just don't like cables snaking around the car, I guess. My ideal configuration would just be the USB port in the armrest rather than the glovebox for driver reachability AND tidiness, with maybe another one on the head unit (or glovebox where it is now) for the phone mount use cases and accessibility at the cost of tidiness. But if the USB cable can indeed exit the glovebox while it's closed, I suppose that will improve driver reachability over what I'd expected. As it stands, I'll probably keep my high-current charger in the armrest power outlet and store my phone in there when I just need charging, and when I need to connect my phone to the car via USB for higher-quality audio than Bluetooth offers and/or to browse my media library from the head unit (probably handy for longer drives), I'll just move my USB cable from the armrest to the glovebox.

As for CDR, my understanding is that only the headunit for CDR+/PCM includes the high-res display. That is still listed as a feature of CDR+ on the US configurator, and other Porsche models that have these options get a lower-res display when they're optioned with base CDR.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

But if the USB cable can indeed exit the glovebox while it's closed, I suppose that will improve driver reachability over what I'd expected. As it stands, I'll probably have my high-current charger connected to the armrest outlet and keep my phone in the armrest when I just need charging, and when I need to connect my phone to the car via USB for higher-quality audio than Bluetooth offers and/or to browse my media library from the head unit (probably handy for longer drives), I'll just move the USB cable from the armrest to the glovebox.
Somewhere on RL or planet9, there's a thread about audio options and someone has photo of a charging cord existing the glovebox to an aftermarket cradle for a phone. I've got no personal experience with this but the person who posted it said that he's had no problems at all. It's a 981 Boxster or Cayman in this case but I can't imagine why the GT4 would be any different.

But
As for CDR, my understanding is that only the headunit for CDR+/PCM includes the high-res display. That is still listed as a feature of CDR+ on the US configurator, and other Porsche models that have these options get a lower-res display when they're optioned with base CDR.
Per the configurator, the differences between the base stereo and the CDR+ for the US market is:

CDR audio system.

Fitted as standard, the CDR audio system with 7-inch color screen is intuitive to control. It features a CD radio with FM twin tuner with RDS, 30 memory presets, dynamic autostore and speed-sensitive volume control. For quality sound, it boasts 9 loudspeakers and has a total output of 235 watts. The AUX interface in the glove compartment enables you to connect external sources such as a compatible MP3 player.

CDR Plus audio system.

The CDR Plus audio system, is available as an option. It also features an analog and digital twin tuner, an MP3-compatible CD/DVD drive, a USB port and an AUX interface.

I think, and hope someone corrects me if I'm wrong, that both options have the same "high-res", 7" screen.

Quick Reply: Anybody going to want a 5 or 6 year old nav system?