GT4/Spyder Discussions about the 981 GT4/Spyder
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

GT4 Review

Old 03-05-2015, 05:16 PM
Mlbraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the GT silver and the Agate grey.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:37 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Thanks for posting the review. I happened to scroll down and read the comments section before reading the review. Apparently, the author did not know the engine is from the Carrera S, originally stating it was from the GT3. Sorry, but after reading that, I found I wasn't taking the review as seriously as I read along.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:44 PM
GT4000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio

how much is that worth to you?.... woo--eeee... so nice.
this picture almost made me regret my color choice

stunning!!
Old 03-05-2015, 05:49 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sportscentury
Thanks for posting the review. I happened to scroll down and read the comments section before reading the review. Apparently, the author did not know the engine is from the Carrera S, originally stating it was from the GT3. Sorry, but after reading that, I found I wasn't taking the review as seriously as I read along.
I'm not sure. The article opens with:
...Stuttgart has spliced in elements of the 911 GT3 and worked the Carrera S’s 3.8L flat six into an already tight engine bay... In order to essentially cram a 911’s engine into the middle of a Cayman, some compromises have been made. The block is reversed compared to the 911’s layout, and some machining was required to make it fit. Further, the intake manifold from the 911 doesn’t fit, so the GT4 uses Cayman pieces that restrict horsepower.
Seems like he knows exactly what's in there.

EDIT: Never mind. I re-read the comments and he made a running change. I'd put it down to rushing a deadline to be the first to "print". All other details were fairly meticulously-researched, I think.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:52 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

There are quite you errors in the article, like when he said the front bumper was taken directly from the gt3.. Sometimes j wonder if being an auto journalist has anything to do with being an auto enthusiast at all??

Anyway, the article was a good first taste of driving impressions.. Take it with a grain of salt until chris comes along
Old 03-05-2015, 06:07 PM
997s07
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff. Hoping all the reviews are very positive, especially praising the manual - if indeed it is justified. My father in law opined that I should never get tired of driving a stick, because Porsche only makes stick shift cars... I did not want to break his heart and tell him about PDK.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Again I'm impressed with PeteVb who's estimated the ride will be a little harsh/stiff back when the GT4 specs have been released.
Overall,I do not see that as a " negative "as described in the article,unless the ride is jarring and squirmy on rough roads,which I'm positive it isn't. Not with the modern suspension technology Porsche is using these days. A total exaggeration on the reviewer's part,who's either never been in a Porsche GT car or has been reviewing too many Panameras...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:16 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I was actually reading the article thinking how easy it would've been to write the whole
Thing, without actually having been there, or even driven the car. There are very few details there in there which couldn't just be inferred from the specs, or just add in a very vague manner enough to fill a few lines of text. Very cynical me I know...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:32 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I was actually reading the article thinking how easy it would've been to write the whole
Thing, without actually having been there, or even driven the car. There are very few details there in there which couldn't just be inferred from the specs, or just add in a very vague manner enough to fill a few lines of text. Very cynical me I know...
Now, I know you couldn't have come up with "pulls harder than a Carrera S" - Woooweee. Or, how about the part that the side scoops give you additional 10% horsepower, now even I hadn't thought to tell my wife that one. He could have added that even though PCCBs will set you back over $7,000, they will actually pay for themselves because they last a lifetime! This is getting deep!

Last edited by matttheboatman; 03-05-2015 at 06:33 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Verinnal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Now, I know you couldn't have come up with "pulls harder than a Carrera S" - Woooweee. Or, how about the part that the side scoops give you additional 10% horsepower, now even I hadn't thought to tell my wife that one. He could have added that even though PCCBs will set you back over $7,000, they will actually pay for themselves because they last a lifetime! This is getting deep!
Until I'm in one and love it or hate it, I'd like to believe that its exhaust fumes are rainbows and the car can, on command, teleport the driver and passenger to a magic driving land that is nothing but mountains, and clouds, and nets and angels...

Thank you for allowing me the pleasure of that mental image.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:47 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,701 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Originally Posted by matttheboatman
Or, how about the part that the side scoops give you additional 10% horsepower, now even I hadn't thought to tell my wife that one.
10% is over 38 hp. That sounds highly unlikely. Maybe they meant 10 hp and it was misinterpreted as 10%...
Old 03-05-2015, 06:50 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4000
this picture almost made me regret my color choice

stunning!!

I agree! I had already changed from my original white color choice to GT Silver. Still not sure about PCCB because I want to hear the reviews about their application here. Will likely go with steels. Can't wait to see more pics.

Last edited by NelsonF; 03-05-2015 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:52 PM
oLuB8UchKxp
Advanced

Does anyone know what the wheel offsets are for the GT4? I'm wondering if the wheels off a 993TT will fit. Would be fantastic if I could share wheels.
Old 03-05-2015, 08:05 PM
Track Junkie
Advanced

Originally Posted by GrantG
10% is over 38 hp. That sounds highly unlikely. Maybe they meant 10 hp and it was misinterpreted as 10%...
The ram air system has been used on motorcycles for over a decade.
It would have the most benefit obviously at higher speeds.
100-200 km/h 5th gear tests shows the GT4 time substantially less than all GT3's except the 991 GT3. Those numbers were posted on Rennlist somewhere.
I though it unusual that it had such an advantage at higher speeds with the 100-200 km/h test compared to the other GT3 models.

After seeing the advantage from the motorcycle article below, the GT4 may get a significant hp increase from ram air at higher speeds. Could be as much as 20 hp over 130 MPH.

This link shows ram air hp increase for motorcycles.
http://www.sportrider.com/ram-air-whats-it-worth
Old 03-05-2015, 08:07 PM
DeerHunter
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by oLuB8UchKxp
Does anyone know what the wheel offsets are for the GT4? I'm wondering if the wheels off a 993TT will fit. Would be fantastic if I could share wheels.
Front: 8.5 J x 20 RO 61
Rear: 11 J x 20 RO 50

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT4 Review