Notices

911 Turbo Purchase - Good Deal or Pass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 11:08 AM
ankman
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Turbo Purchase - Good Deal or Pass?

I am new to Porsches and looking to purchase a 997 turbo.

I found a 2008 911 Turbo coupe, Automatic, 40k miles for $56k.
It needs some work: Brakes, Tires, Rear spoiler hydraulic leak, battery, interior trim near mirror switch, power steering resevior cover, brake fluid flush.
It has aftermarket radio, boost gauge where clock is, aftermarket intake
Front bumper was resprayed but car was never in an accident.

I had it inspected and overall engine checks out, no over revs, etc.

For the price seems like it still might be a good buy but wanted to get other experienced members thoughts. I am looking for something reliable which I can drive daily and occasionally run autoX or track it. I do not have time for a project car that needs work.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:00 AM
grendel88
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

seems to be priced high.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 PM
mark_schnell
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was 997.2 with PDK, then I'd pay $56k in a heartbeat. It sounds like it has not been well maintained though, so might have more hidden issues. You're only looking at a couple thousand bucks for brakes/tires and less than that for the other stuff assuming you can plug the leak in the spoiler system and bleed it to get it working again. Otherwise, Rennkit has an electric ram kit to update it to get rid of that issue forever for another $1500-ish.

Are you looking for automatic specifically? Stick shift may have better resale potential, since the Tiptronic transmissions don't have a lot of fans (that I've met, anyway).

By the way, I had a PPI done when I bought mine, and the guy missed a couple of things, so I am not sure I would put 100% faith in a PPI to find "everything". So budget another $2k for whatever.

Quick Reply: 911 Turbo Purchase - Good Deal or Pass?