Notices

Seat Weight

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:02 AM
genevagear
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Seat Weight

I am in the process of buying a new car and sent Porsche Cars USA a list of questions. One of the questions was how much the following seats weigh:
a. 2-way sport seat
b.
14-way electric sport seat
c.
2-way sport seat plus
d.
18-way adaptive sport seat plus

They were not able to answer and unable to get the answer from Porsche AG. I know they have the answer. I just am surprised its not at their finger tips. Porsche builds sports cars and mass is very important. When I asked BMW they got right back to me and said that the standard seat without electronics weighs 50lbs less (100 lbs for driver and passenger) than one with electronics for moving the seat, bolstering, and seat heat. Anyone know the mass of the Porsche seat options listed above?
Old 01-19-2017, 06:28 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by genevagear
I am in the process of buying a new car and sent Porsche Cars USA a list of questions. One of the questions was how much the following seats weigh:
a. 2-way sport seat
b.
14-way electric sport seat
c.
2-way sport seat plus
d.
18-way adaptive sport seat plus

They were not able to answer and unable to get the answer from Porsche AG. I know they have the answer. I just am surprised its not at their finger tips. Porsche builds sports cars and mass is very important. When I asked BMW they got right back to me and said that the standard seat without electronics weighs 50lbs less (100 lbs for driver and passenger) than one with electronics for moving the seat, bolstering, and seat heat. Anyone know the mass of the Porsche seat options listed above?
I'm afraid I don't have those figures but I wanted to say that your point is highly valid. I have always thought it crazy that Porsche spends millions CAD' ing their body structures to take weight out and put rigidity in, and then allow customers to ladle on extra pounds on stuff that does not improve dynamics in any way.

Why you would need electrically-operated seats or even an electric window (on the driver's side) is beyond me: I set the wheel-to-seat to suit me (the driver) and that's it. Senseless to carry around weight - especially when the passenger seat is unoccupied.

My base 991.2 C2 manual is already 80g too heavy in my view (a base car ought to be less than 1400 kg as a 'starter' platform). What we need is a light-weight series production car: no special limited editions for VIPs, just plain/simple, pure, light....no electric windows, no powered seats, light 19" wheels, thin seats, rubber mats, no aircon. That's it. You don't need magnesium roof panels to achieve lightness.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:21 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Some relevant info here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/700238-bucket-seats.html

And for reference, the rear seats:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/813913-weight-of-rear-seat.html

Quick Reply: Seat Weight