Relocating to California

Old 01-14-2017, 04:31 AM
Svensk_Cal
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Relocating to California

Good morning all Rennlisters

A quick introduction first.

We are French, living in Dublin Ireland for the past 3 years, and the happy owners of a 964 Carrera 2 from November 1990.

We are relocating to San Francisco next summer for a minimum of 5 years and we want to bring her with us.
We know it makes no sens on an economical stand point but she has been in the family for 13 years and we can't see ourselves selling her or leaving her in a garage in France for so long (she has already been there for 3 years as road tax is just crazy in Ireland and the wheel is on the wrong side).

I started to navigate the DMV website and my understanding is that it should be feasible to import her in California as she will be more than 25 years old and hence considered a classic.
My understanding is also that you can use a classic as a daily driver?
If someone could confirm my understanding that would be greatly appreciated.
I know the procedure and associated paper work will not be simple...
If you believe it makes more sense to ask a professional to do it, thanks in advance for recommending one.

On the transport side, she will come in a container from Dublin.
Again, if someone as already been through this and has a good transport company to recommend!

Pretty excited to get her there!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Svensk_Cal
Old 01-22-2017, 10:29 PM
Mikebte
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not live in California, but I did at one time.
I now live in Arizona ( next door to California )
When I was in California in 2010, I drove my 59 Chevy all the time. It was insured as a classic and I never heard anything about it. I also drive my 1980 Porsche 928 a lot and it is the same.
I would make sure you use a good insurance company. I use Hagerty Insurance.
I have heard of insurance company's like Hemmings asking for a photo of the miles.
Just make sure you tell them you drive it a lot.

You can both Register your car as a classic and insure it as a classic. Most the time registering as a classic is just cheaper.

I think your biggest concern with California will be emissions, make sure you have all stuff needed to pass.
Old 01-24-2017, 05:25 AM
Svensk_Cal
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you Mike for your feedback.

After some investigations it sounds like it will cost a fortune ($6 to $8K) to get my car certified in California...
But we are planing to spend minimum 5 years there so... we might do it anyway as we can't see ourselves leaving the car or selling it!
Old 01-24-2017, 09:29 AM
Steve Jensen
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Non-californian (I'm in Florida, we don't have a lot of the issues California does) but I can see 3 issues that you'll have

1) Importing the car (no matter where in the US you end up)

2) Smog/Emissions test - this is California (and a few other states) specific

3) Insurance as a classic or "just a car"

For #3, some insurance policies if you list your car as a classic will limit the amount of driving and possibly where you can drive to (ie, 5k miles per year, and not to/from work or school, etc).
Old 04-14-2020, 03:59 PM
Navy Bear
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Be prepared to drive to get where you need to go. You’re going to need your own vehicle. Public transportation is improving in California, but it’s far less comprehensive and accessible than in other parts of the country, particularly the East Coast.
  2. Brace yourself for the taxes. Some states, like Washington, have a higher sales tax than California, but many of them lack a state income tax. California has both. The chances are good that your tax burden, including sales tax, income tax, and property tax if you buy a home, will be significantly higher than it was before you moved.
  3. Speaking of expenses, the cost of living is high, too. Cities like Los Angeles and San Diego frequently have the highest gas prices in the country. A lot of people who move to California dream of living close to the beach, but it costs a bundle to live near the coast. You can expect to pay high prices for just about everything from groceries to utilities.
  4. Unless your car was manufactured prior to 1975, it will have to pass a smog inspection before you register it. California has stricter emissions standards than most states, so be prepared.
  5. You also need to have valid automobile insurance in order to register your car. Get the smog inspection first, and once you have your certificate showing that your car passed, you’ll have to take it to an insurance company, have it reviewed by an adjuster, and get a policy.
  6. The tight timelines continue. People who relocate to California must obtain a California driver’s license within 10 days of moving and register their vehicles within 20 days. The best way to accomplish everything is to get the smog inspection and find an insurer, and then make an early morning trip to the DMV to take care of your license and registration.
  7. Voter registration can be accomplished online or by visiting the DMV. The deadline for registration is 15 days prior to the election, so keep that in mind. The easiest way to get registered is to combine it with all of your other errands at the DMV.
  8. Speaking of voting, the democratic process in California differs from other states in some significant ways. Every state has ballot questions, but California has a lot thanks to changes that were made in the state to halt bribery during the Gold Rush years. In a presidential year, expect to see dozens of individual ballot questions on voting day.
  9. Understand the benefits and risks of earthquake insurance. No matter who you choose as your insurance carrier in California, they will probably try to sell you earthquake insurance. The costs can vary greatly depending upon the age of your home and the construction materials used to build it. Flexible wood homes built on bedrock can probably be insured for around $1,200 per year, while a brick home built on sandy soil might cost close to three times that amount. You will also need to keep the deductibles in mind. Many times, the deductible amount is equivalent to 10% of the policy’s value, and that can mean a steep bill that you’ll end up having to pay out of pocket in addition to your premium. For that reason, many homeowners in California simply opt out of earthquake insurance.
  10. Be prepared to conserve water in a major way. The drought in California is a huge problem and it’s not getting better. Water usage is strictly regulated. If you have a choice between a green lawn and using desert landscaping, take the desert option – and be prepared for an expensive water bill.
Old 04-16-2020, 03:33 AM
Sabrina Smith
1st Gear

What can I say here? California is a dream for many people around the globe, but many don't know that life there can be harder than in a dessert. High rent and taxes can turn your American dream in California into the worst nightmare. Especially that you want to take the car with and the paper work will cost two of your salaries.
Old 04-16-2020, 07:12 AM
henrywilson
Banned

Indeed California is the best place on earth to live. The high economy and huge variety of jobs available on the market attract many people around the globe. However, there is another part of the coin about life in Cali which isn’t so sweet and sound. The life in California is pretty expensive which includes high taxes, bills and rent. The fact that you want to take the car with you deserves our respect and applauses.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:09 AM
delongtrevor
Banned

California the place of high economy and a filled job market. People dream to live in California without realizing that taxation there is the highest in USA. Be ready for high rent, bills and taxes. Also, in case you still want to take The car with you then the sum of approximately $6000 will be needed only for documents and transportation.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:59 AM
goin2drt
Race Car

Received 677 Likes on 371 Posts

Holy post revival. His post was in 2017. I am sure he has already moved. He hasn't posted since so probably not even on the forum any longer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Relocating to California