Notices

Porsche official screenwash: essential or ripoff ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 09:47 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Porsche official screenwash: essential or ripoff ?

Yes, I admit it's an arcane and somewhat trivial topic but I'm still in thrall to the 991.2 manual and apparently I may use non-Porsche approved screenwash at my peril... for fear of melting acrylic headlamp covers, bunging up pipes and bringing the planet's eco system to a grinding halt....

Is there, for example, screen wash for winter and another for summer ? Is it best to empty your tank of Porsche's own brand of 'gloop' (I'm still on 250 miles) and then get a decent alternative and stick with it ? Or just tow the line and buy from your local center ?

Your thoughts and experiences, fellow Rennlisters, are always appreciated.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:31 PM
sc235813
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. it's a car, not a shrine (but it took me a while to get over it too )
2. i'm betting porsche makes great margin off of anything it has its name on...
3. to date i've never had a problem with any generic screen-wash on any of the 4 porsches i've been through.

i think it's like "tylenol" -- it's all acetaminophen in the end. but the bottom line is: is there a meaningful price difference (and what constitutes "meaningful" is up to you).

hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:58 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Originally Posted by sc235813
1. it's a car, not a shrine (but it took me a while to get over it too )
2. i'm betting porsche makes great margin off of anything it has its name on...
3. to date i've never had a problem with any generic screen-wash on any of the 4 porsches i've been through.

i think it's like "tylenol" -- it's all acetaminophen in the end. but the bottom line is: is there a meaningful price difference (and what constitutes "meaningful" is up to you).

hope this helps.
That rather amused me . Once I've scuffed the rims and some charming chap (or, indeed, chapess) leaves a supermarket-ding in the door I'm sure I'll be sticking any ol' rubbish into the thing. Let's face it: it's a boggo-standard C2 bought to be used, not a '73 RS taken out of cotton-wool every few weeks...

I'll use Autoglym (half the price of Porsche's product) and good enough for Astons etc.. Thanks for down-to-earth advice.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:46 PM
clevelandporsche
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just don't use anything with water-repellent properties (e.g. Rainex washer fluid), supposedly this is not good for the headlamp washer system.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 PM
sc235813
Instructor

Originally Posted by clevelandporsche
Just don't use anything with water-repellent properties (e.g. Rainex washer fluid), supposedly this is not good for the headlamp washer system.
i have heard the same thing. forgot about that. i am going to try autoglym
Old 01-11-2017, 07:12 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

i have heard the same thing. forgot about that. i am going to try autoglym
I'm still digging on this issue. Sonax apparently makes Porsche's 'OEM' screenwash and both are apparently 'kind to rubber hoses etc..' where others are not. I suspect there's a lot of misinformation circulating out there as well, just to confuse the picture.

I've spoken to Autoglym (whose product is alcohol-based) but that was prior to my 'discovery' of Sonax and their prompting the issue about headlamp-wash systems. So, I'm going to go back to Autoglym and ask if their dilution has any long-term effect on rubber hoses etc..

Currently Porsche centers here in the UK are charging £ 7.73 for 250ml which is actually cheaper than web-based supplies of Sonax for the same quantity. I might be pushed into sticking with Porsche's 'own brand' until this myth (?) of rubber/acrylic-friendly screenwash is debunked...or otherwise.

All this for screenwash.....
Old 01-11-2017, 09:07 PM
sc235813
Instructor

so much for "it's a car not a shrine..." i'm just another poser...
Old 01-12-2017, 02:28 AM
gregv8
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sonax is definitely a good way to look. I know for a fact that they produce all BMW branded stuff too. This stuff is harder to find here in the US, but widely available in Europe.

(I personally am a superfan of Meguiars.)
Old 01-12-2017, 02:51 AM
gregv8
Racer

Just take a look at this bottle:
http://store.sonaxusa.com/sonaxclear...ncentrate.aspx

And this:
http://content2.us.porsche.com/prod/...rm&country=usa

Look pretty similar huh...
Old 01-12-2017, 06:03 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

so much for "it's a car not a shrine..." i'm just another poser...

" Warning: the comment below may contain the need for context, balance, wit and...tolerance ". Too much to ask in a post-Obama world ? We are, I submit, all in this together... which makes Rennlist World all that more multicolor.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2017, 06:17 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Originally Posted by gregv8
Sonax is definitely a good way to look. I know for a fact that they produce all BMW branded stuff too. This stuff is harder to find here in the US, but widely available in Europe.

(I personally am a superfan of Meguiars.)
Thanks 'Greg'. Sonax and Porsche's 250ml bottles are pretty similar which supports the view they hail from the same source....and both heavily stress the 'Xenon light' and acrylic headlamp 'friendly' properties. Plus, Sonax has some strong reviews.

I've used Meguiars on leather for years and found it excellent, though I'm struggling to find screenwash (rather than an external cleaner) in Europe.

Given parity on price, seems sticking with Porsche is not too foolish...well, not at least until further notice :-)Thanks again.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:26 AM
sc235813
Instructor

Originally Posted by BertoneBertoni
" Warning: the comment below may contain the need for context, balance, wit and...tolerance ". Too much to ask in a post-Obama world ? We are, I submit, all in this together... which makes Rennlist World all that more multicolor.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:02 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

This is a joke, right?

buy the blue stuff @ 99 cents at walmart.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:59 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Originally Posted by mhm993
This is a joke, right?

buy the blue stuff @ 99 cents at walmart.

Mmm, perhaps not a joke after all, Sir :-) Firstly, you're undoubtedly the proud owner of #3/50 of the '06 Club of America 997.1 'Club Coupes'. Correct ? Good.

You may have even stumped up the full asking prices of $ 99,911.00 (a teutonic in-house joke never to be repeated given inflation, I suspect....;-) in 2006. Right ? More good: you are clearly a man of taste & discernment... as well as having deep pockets.

Now, you may, at some stage, consider selling your said 'rare' Club Coupe. So, can I posit the possible alternative view point where a potential purchaser of your car would ask himself the following:

"Now, here's a guy who paid $ 100 'gees' a decade ago on a car that he now won't spend 10 bucks on for some Porsche screen-wash...Does that philosophy extend to bigger ticket items like servicing, too...?"

I'm sure you lavish a lot of care on the car but Sonax (the manufacturer) have built a business (since 1950) on making the right stuff for many a manufacturer. Maybe ensuring that any liquid, coolant, oil or fuel....anything that goes on, through or into...your beloved car ought to be commensurate with its integral and original quality: ie. the best ?

Just another view, Sir...that's all
The following users liked this post:
diverzeusy (05-01-2021)
Old 01-18-2017, 12:58 PM
gregv8
Racer

I read that with British accent, lol

Quick Reply: Porsche official screenwash: essential or ripoff ?