Notices

Which 911 debacle......

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 10:14 PM
matt-tastic
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which 911 debacle......

Hello! Sorry to have such a depressing question as my first post, but I figure this was probably the right place to come for the answer.

I'm looking for my first 911 after wanting one for the last decade or so and after emptying my garage was set on purchasing a manual 997.1 "S" car. The 997.1 cars fit my budget and mission (weekend car + a few trackdays a year). Well, my whole plan just seemed to get turned on it's head this evening by a reputable tuner I spoke with today. I was talking to him about adding a tuner to the car in lieu of sport chrono. I have found a Guards Red 997.1 that fit pretty much all of my requirements and doesn't seem like a bad deal, but unfortunately, did not have sport chrono as an option from the factory. After reassuring me that adding a tuner would in fact be a viable option as opposed to adding sport chrono to the car I asked him for his thoughts on the 997 pre DFI cars. His answer took the wind out of my sails. He said that he would much prefer a non "S" DFI car to an "S" 997.1. The non S cars area attainable within my budget, but I speculate that I would probably just save for awhile longer to afford an "S" DFI car as I have seen several in the mid 40's to low 50's. Unfortunately, this also brings up another option as once you start getting into the mid 50's, the base 991's become available. I don't mind spending a little more, but my original budget was 45, give or take, with most cars I was finding running closer to the mid to upper 30's. Please tell me one of you has the definitive answer as I'm sure many of you have been through this same conundrum when purchasing your 911. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2016, 02:01 AM
ace37
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's one opinion. I assume you plan to keep this car for many years.

You've waited for this a long time, and you seem to want an S. So get an S. Not because it's hugely better or worlds different - because it seems to matter to you.

This is an emotional purchase, not a rational one. Accept and embrace that. The budget is a boundary, but within that you ought to get whatever gets you the most happy or excited. For some that's good power and handling, for some it's the feel of the road, and for some it's looking at the car on Saturday morning with a smile. Whatever it is that really matters to you is all that's important here.

It sounds like you feel the 991 would be a stretch. Don't plan to get one. Do keep them in your searches. I would prefer a 997.2 over the 997.1 with all things equal, but you could be happy with either and all things are never equal. I'd keep them all in your searches.

Do all your research (maybe you have already) and you'll know what you're getting with each car on offer. You then have the rational side covered. So with that covered, you're free to buy the car that speaks to you the most, and you can forget about the money after you hand over the check and just enjoy the experience you've traded it for!
Old 12-06-2016, 03:08 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,740 Likes on 4,765 Posts

Get the 991.

Quick Reply: Which 911 debacle......