Notices

Purchase decision,which one? Old 911 or 718 new

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:27 AM
zordinary
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchase decision,which one? Old 911 or 718 new

Debated between the new 2017 718 Cayman S, or the 2013 Carerra 4. (These are with in my budget of 110k Canadian). Practically same speed and specs except the Cayman is better by a bit.

FIRST, I DO NOT MIND how the downsized Cayman sounds. I enjoy the performance boost quite a bit actually. BUT Ofc, I do love the 911 higher displacement and 6cyl sound. I'm just saying I won't mind Cayman regardless, still a great car. Can't even feel turbo lag.

SECOND. I HAVE WINTERS, LIKE A LOT of them. But also keep in mind it's not like I'll drive like a maniac during winter and I'll have winter tires. this WILL be my main car. Apparently the Mid engine Cayman can do find in winter due to its well mid engine balance and the carerra will be 4wd anyways.

THIRD. In terms of design. I like the Cayman more. I just like the sides more and I also dislike the 911 layers on the back.
BUUUTTTT. I also would like to have 911 logo rather than a 718 ya feel? Since they are Porsche's iconic car.

AND THEREFORE I AM ABSOLUTELY CONFUSED AND DONT MNOW WHAT I WANT. Please give me some constructive opinion!!!! I need for figure this out soon before they start my Cayman order In the factory!
Old 09-24-2016, 02:00 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

Having just ordered a 911 and currently driving a Cayman, I feel somewhat qualified to answer. First, I love the Cayman. I agree that the design of it is beautiful. The handling is incredible. I have just loved this car.(See my post below "buyers remorse". But after only a year and some months plus taking it on a long trip to Colorado, I decided that more room was needed. I wanted the flexibility of adding a roof rack so I could put bikes, beach stuff, and ski's up there. I also wanted a sunroof. The 911 seems to be a much better choice as a daily driver and all around car.
Old 09-27-2016, 03:31 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

Zordinary... question for ya, why do you want to buy a Porsche over another brand?
Old 09-28-2016, 01:29 AM
zordinary
Intermediate

Originally Posted by speef
Zordinary... question for ya, why do you want to buy a Porsche over another brand?
Hey there! Because i really like the exterior design, performance, quality, and its name as well! It also feels more like a unique brand rather than the endless mercedes and BMWs running off the streets
Old 09-28-2016, 01:32 AM
zordinary
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Having just ordered a 911 and currently driving a Cayman, I feel somewhat qualified to answer. First, I love the Cayman. I agree that the design of it is beautiful. The handling is incredible. I have just loved this car.(See my post below "buyers remorse". But after only a year and some months plus taking it on a long trip to Colorado, I decided that more room was needed. I wanted the flexibility of adding a roof rack so I could put bikes, beach stuff, and ski's up there. I also wanted a sunroof. The 911 seems to be a much better choice as a daily driver and all around car.
Unfortunately the dealer told me the 718 cayman has just begun production right on the day i asked him about some older 911 prices. So ill just go with the 718 then. Im sure its not a car i will regret. Im also not that big of a purist to ONLY care about red line howls from the flat 6. After driving both the flat 6 and this flat 4 turbo, i actually like the torque boost a lot. it goes EXACTLY the place i imagine in my head, but too fast, not too slow, incredibly natural (altho the PDK gearbox felt slightly weird compared to the older model). the older models felt just a tad slow.

So i guess its been settled. ill be going with the new downsized Cayman S haha, has a bad ring to it being downsized, but again i honestly had more fun driving it (esp i also like listening to music on the car too, oh and with PSE, the car is still incredibly loud, just on a low pitch)

Quick Reply: Purchase decision,which one? Old 911 or 718 new