Notices

Why don't Porsche drivers wave?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 01:08 AM
Super90
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Jensen
Older 911s (pre-90), 914, 912, and fellow 356 pilots seem to understand the headlight flash...
This is the traditional Porsche greeting. Sadly it's been lost over time.....
Old 09-27-2016, 03:14 AM
speef
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 46 Posts

they don't wave (or flash) for the same reason toyota drivers don't wave... the breed has changed, Porsche went "broad" and commercial... myriads of models, entered the SUV market years ago etc, it's not the special thing it used to be... I've owned 30+ Porsches over the years, when I drove my 911 cars in the 80s and early 90s, all Porsche drivers used to wave, then it became a "yuppie" tool, many bought them the way they bought an expensive watch, an expensive suit or boat, to signal that they too "arrived" ... upward mobility middle class psychology bull****... older 911 drivers (not older drivers older cars) still wave, at least from my experience they still do... same with GT3 drivers... vintage 911s and specialty 911s are still well "special" and unique and there's a brotherhood in the wave, in a wave there's an implicit nod of confirmation that you and I are both gearheads, that I approve of you and that we share a similar passion... not so with a "volume" model... might as well drive a toyota... toyota drivers don't wave when they meet... unless they are both driving a lexus LFA, or Nissan drivers driving a GTR, then they wave for sure ... it's a tribal thing... if it's unique you know you are part of the same tribe, if it's too common, you're not...
Old 09-27-2016, 04:04 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I almost always wave but 911 owners aren't too happy when they get passed by me in my "lowly" 944

I used to get more of a response even when I first bought the car and it wasn't totally fixed up but seems like there's less of it locally, even within the last year..
Old 09-27-2016, 12:15 PM
llis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a great drive the other day. Saw several 911s. Nearly everyone waved back. Highlight was leapfrogging with another red C4S cab (probably a 997, it didn't look like the newest models, but I'm still not up on the design hints) on the fwy. It was a gorgeous day for driving, though, lifting everyone's mood, I suspect.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:47 PM
Leica 993
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never known dentists, accountants or attorneys to be very friendly regardless of what they are driving.

Quick Reply: Why don't Porsche drivers wave?