Notices

Starting to wonder.... 991 or 981

Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Received 654 Likes on 378 Posts
Default Starting to wonder.... 991 or 981

Only been here a few weeks and have put a deposit down on a 981 Cayman GTS that is set to arrive in October.... It is a standard production car but in the color combination that I want so I am ok waiting for it.

That is where the trouble starts.

The car is pretty well optioned with an MSRP of 96K. So just for giggles I started messing around with the build website. I have built a base Carrera with manual transmission (which I really wanted in the Cayman but settled on PDK because of the color combo) for a "pinch" over 100K.

Since my days in high school (back in the 911SC days) I have wanted a 911, I almost bought a 912 just out of high school but in the end opted out of that deal. Just finished putting my youngest through college so now is the time.

I'm sure you guys can already see where I am going with this..... this is my first Porsche. If I'm honest, I won't be doing anything on a track, and it will probably be a weekend car. I'm not wealthy by any means and this is a stretch for me. So I guess I am asking for pros and cons regarding both the 991.2 base Carrera vs. a 981 Cayman GTS.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated and honestly considered.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:40 PM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Have you driven the current version of each? I'd start with that first and foremost.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by J_D
Have you driven the current version of each? I'd start with that first and foremost.
Exactly. But, if you've always wanted a 911 since you were a lad, why go for the Cayman? Don't get me wrong, the Cayman is a great car, but if you can get your dream car for a bit more, then why not. YOLO as the kids say...T
Old 07-28-2016, 12:03 AM
JustBud
Race Car

Originally Posted by J_D
Actually, I have driven neither, but that will change on Friday..... the salesman I am dealing with says they don't have a Cayman GTS to drive but they have a base 991 with manual.

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Exactly. But, if you've always wanted a 911 since you were a lad, why go for the Cayman? Don't get me wrong, the Cayman is a great car, but if you can get your dream car for a bit more, then why not. YOLO as the kids say...T
You make a great point and I thought I was set on the Cayman because I wanted a well optioned car, but my desire for a 911 is getting stronger.... the "pinch" in my previous post is about 15K..... so it is a bit of a big pinch.

To be honest I am already leaning toward the 911 in Graphite Blue.
Old 07-28-2016, 09:23 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by JustBud
Actually, I have driven neither, but that will change on Friday..... the salesman I am dealing with says they don't have a Cayman GTS to drive but they have a base 991 with manual.

You make a great point and I thought I was set on the Cayman because I wanted a well optioned car, but my desire for a 911 is getting stronger.... the "pinch" in my previous post is about 15K..... so it is a bit of a big pinch.

To be honest I am already leaning toward the 911 in Graphite Blue.
Unless the 15K is keeping food off the table, a roof over your head, etc. I would stretch and get the car of your dreams. I am assuming this is a weekend fun car and not a daily driver? If so, you don't want to compromise your dream IMO. No buyers regret, it'll distract you from enjoying your prize. Best of luck, whatever you decide, and post pics when you get your new car…T
Old 07-28-2016, 10:41 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Unless the 15K is keeping food off the table, a roof over your head, etc. I would stretch and get the car of your dreams. I am assuming this is a weekend fun car and not a daily driver? If so, you don't want to compromise your dream IMO. No buyers regret, it'll distract you from enjoying your prize. Best of luck, whatever you decide, and post pics when you get your new car…T
So discussed with my gal and told her about your posts Tom. She is in total agreement with you. So, no longer wondering, mind made up....... 991.2 base it is.... ordering to my spec and will post pics when I have it in my driveway!

Last edited by JustBud; 08-01-2016 at 12:12 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:15 AM
J_D
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats on the choice!
Old 07-30-2016, 02:31 PM
Drfootman
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cayman- 911 decision

I had a 2016 CGTS I bought pre-owned with 2,600 miles. There were two previous owners. It's MSRP was 98k. GT Silver, extended leather, etc. Beautiful. I previously owned two 911's. The Cayman had such a loud drone, I sold it after 7 months. I think that's why I was the third owner. I got a Macan Turbo which was great but the 911 was calling so I traded in the Macan and ordered a 911 S. Please don't go by my silly history but I will tell you two points: 1) The new 911's are fast off the line and very nimble, more so than my 2006 and 2013 911's. They handle every bit as good or better than my CGTS in my opinion. 2) Given your desire to own a 911 since you were a kid, you will never second guess yourself going with the 911. I'm sure the opposite will be true if you would have gone with the CGTS!

Congratulations on your future dream car!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 08:49 PM
JustBud
Race Car

Originally Posted by J_D
Congrats on the choice!
Originally Posted by Drfootman
I had a 2016 CGTS I bought pre-owned with 2,600 miles. There were two previous owners. It's MSRP was 98k. GT Silver, extended leather, etc. Beautiful. I previously owned two 911's. The Cayman had such a loud drone, I sold it after 7 months. I think that's why I was the third owner. I got a Macan Turbo which was great but the 911 was calling so I traded in the Macan and ordered a 911 S. Please don't go by my silly history but I will tell you two points: 1) The new 911's are fast off the line and very nimble, more so than my 2006 and 2013 911's. They handle every bit as good or better than my CGTS in my opinion. 2) Given your desire to own a 911 since you were a kid, you will never second guess yourself going with the 911. I'm sure the opposite will be true if you would have gone with the CGTS!

Congratulations on your future dream car!!!
Thank you for your comparison, that addressed my concerns perfectly and confirmed that I made the choice that will work best for me.

Thank you guys! Very excited for my first Porsche. Now starts the countdown to a dream.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:34 AM
rayben
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would go with the 911, definitely a man's car!
Old 08-06-2016, 11:33 AM
MrSlacker
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I might be a bit late, but why not get a very slightly used 911 in the spec that you want for $15K under MSRP which will make it same price as CGTS? If it is a CPO, warranty will be even longer than a new one.
Old 08-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JustBud
Only been here a few weeks and have put a deposit down on a 981 Cayman GTS that is set to arrive in October.... It is a standard production car but in the color combination that I want so I am ok waiting for it.

That is where the trouble starts.

The car is pretty well optioned with an MSRP of 96K. So just for giggles I started messing around with the build website. I have built a base Carrera with manual transmission (which I really wanted in the Cayman but settled on PDK because of the color combo) for a "pinch" over 100K.

Since my days in high school (back in the 911SC days) I have wanted a 911, I almost bought a 912 just out of high school but in the end opted out of that deal. Just finished putting my youngest through college so now is the time.

I'm sure you guys can already see where I am going with this..... this is my first Porsche. If I'm honest, I won't be doing anything on a track, and it will probably be a weekend car. I'm not wealthy by any means and this is a stretch for me. So I guess I am asking for pros and cons regarding both the 991.2 base Carrera vs. a 981 Cayman GTS.

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated and honestly considered.
I bought an 981, which I love but if I had the extra money, I would get the 911.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Starting to wonder.... 991 or 981