New car choice

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 AM
stmblaster
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New car choice

Hello,

This is my first time posting so I hope it will be okay.

I have to change my car this year and I can't decide between BMW and Porsche. I currently have a BMW X6 40d 2011 (bought new) and it had some serious troubles (gearbox dead @ 160.000km and a lot more down with it - very painful repair costs). I also own a BMW M3 E93 and I use it for when I feel like driving sporty.

My problem is the following: I need an SUV due to the roads in my country (full of potholes , I often drive on paths without paved roads , don't have many highways and a bigger car provides more safety , etc ) and in my country (Romania) right now I can get a BMW X5 M50d at the same price as a Cayenne/Cayenne Diesel , both new.

I am also considering stretching to a larger budget and buying a Cayenne S/Cayenne S Diesel but I'm not sure about it.

The main comparison is BMW X5 M50d vs Cayenne Diesel.

I know it isn't a fair comparison performance-wise , but the price is the same for both , equipped to my liking (similarly). I want to ask you if you would choose a Cayenne Diesel over a BMW X5 M50d or vice-versa and why.

I feel like the main points of the comparison are that the Porsche is a more refined car , more comfortable (PASM ftw) and I think ±250 horsepower is enough for a daily driver. On the other side , the BMW offers superb performance , less comfort and is less refined and less elegant. Buying a Porsche could bring me to the possibility of buying a 911 some years later too.

So would you settle with a Cayenne/Cayenne Diesel as a daily driver or would you choose an M50d X5 ?

Any help is much appreciated
Old 04-05-2016, 07:24 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

What engine goes in the M50d? Sounds like a torque monster that could tow a freight train. I'd probably choose that one.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM
stmblaster
Track Day

The M50d has a 3-litre tri-turbo diesel , 381hp / 740nm torque.
Old 04-05-2016, 08:19 AM
stmblaster
Track Day

Also I have one more question: I see diesels do not have PDCC on the Cayenne. Is it very important? Does it completely change the handling?
Old 04-06-2016, 08:40 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by stmblaster
The M50d has a 3-litre tri-turbo diesel , 381hp / 740nm torque.
I would totally go for that one then!

Quick Reply: New car choice