Notices

New member with a new machine

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2015, 09:50 PM
220volt
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member with a new machine

Been visiting this forum for a while and finally decided to register since I will be getting my first Porsche pretty soon. I pulled the trigger on a 2008 Boxster S 6MT with 20k on it. Clean, one owner, not used in fleet or lease. It should be here within 10 days via Carmax. It will be my DD and I am trading in my MK6 GTI for it.

Now, I’ve never owned or driven a Porsche in my life, so I bought it unseen. Might be pretty stupid I know, but this car won so many awards, and it is on everyone’s top list of best drivers cars of all time, raving reviews etc… that I have a hard time believing that I won’t like it. Plus I am paying two/thirds cash and only small amount will finance so I can pay it off quick.
I have been shopping for RWD to replace my GTI for few months already, and have driven (not necessary owned) BRZ’s, MX5’s, S2000, BMW, GTI’s (my current car). And out of all those cars, I loved the BRZ the most and would’ve bought it if this deal did not come through. If this used Boxster S drives anything close to the new BRZ, I’m confident that I will love it.

Now, since the deal was pretty much $2,500 below clean trade-in NADA price I thought I use that money to buy Carmax Care warranty just to cover big things like the engine, trans, coolant etc… Possible IMS failure. I know I could do a retrofit kit for couple of thousand, but the warranty will cover lot more parts anyway, so why not.

First thing I will do when it gets here, I will have PPI done and if everything checks out, then have oil changed. Besides that, are there any other gotchas or things I should check or do to it right away, before I take it to some twisties?

Looking forward being part of the Porsche community, online and in real life
Old 08-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 760 Likes on 496 Posts

Isn't it a bit late for a PPI? Your message said you bought it.
Old 08-02-2015, 05:46 PM
220volt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer
Isn't it a bit late for a PPI? Your message said you bought it.
Car is being shipped from Florida to Carmax here in KY, so when it arrives I will do the paperwork and drive it home. I have 5 days from the day I drive it home to return it for their "money back grantee no questions asked" to drive it, test it, do PPI etc...
Old 08-07-2015, 12:20 AM
Georound
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! You'll love it. At 20k, you shouldn't need anything. PPI will give you piece of mind. Especially with respect to consumables like brakes/rotors and tires. You could look at those yourself however.
I'm sure CarFax is clean or they would have disclosed. When the local CarMax looked at my car, they noticed paintwork had been done immediately, so they will probably know that on your car as well.
The five day return policy is very comforting!
Old 08-10-2015, 11:07 AM
thomnellie
Racer

Congrats! Enjoy! You need to check the drain holes for the convertible top to make sure that they are clear. They clogged in my Boxster S, and during a major rain storm water drained into the interior, shorting out the master control unit and eventually frying it. The short caused the car to try and open the top while it was in the locked position, breaking the arms that raise and lower the top, about 5k in damages. I learned to keep the drain holes clear, without further incident.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:52 PM
220volt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thomnellie
Congrats! Enjoy! You need to check the drain holes for the convertible top to make sure that they are clear. They clogged in my Boxster S, and during a major rain storm water drained into the interior, shorting out the master control unit and eventually frying it. The short caused the car to try and open the top while it was in the locked position, breaking the arms that raise and lower the top, about 5k in damages. I learned to keep the drain holes clear, without further incident. Death of a Boxster - YouTube
Very good and simple tip. Thanks
Old 08-10-2015, 12:53 PM
220volt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Georound
Congrats! You'll love it. At 20k, you shouldn't need anything. PPI will give you piece of mind. Especially with respect to consumables like brakes/rotors and tires. You could look at those yourself however.
I'm sure CarFax is clean or they would have disclosed. When the local CarMax looked at my car, they noticed paintwork had been done immediately, so they will probably know that on your car as well.
The five day return policy is very comforting!
Thanks!

Carmax said they do 125 point inspection on all their vehicles and they also do oil change before the car leaves their facility. Not sure how trusted would they be with Porsche though.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:33 AM
220volt
Intermediate

Question, do all Boxter S 987 (2008) come with heated seats, or is it optional?

Quick Reply: New member with a new machine