Notices

Damaged calipers due to service center

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:42 PM
TurboDrone
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damaged calipers due to service center

Ok, so I just purchased a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo in excellent (near mint) condition and it has been damaged by the local tire place. Two weeks after purchasing my car I decided to by some new snow tires and have them installed at the local tire place. Well the service technician that was installing the wheels back on my vehicle unknowing put them on the wrong hubs and when he lowered the car down and began to back up it came to a grinding stop. He could only back up about 6" before it seized up and I watched this all happen while looking through the observation window. When it stopped, he had a surprised look on his face and I could hear him give the car more gas to try and overcome the obstacle he thought he was stuck on. He then got out of the car to see what the problem was and I saw the "oh ****" look on his face as he placed his hand over his mouth.
After seeing this happen, I walked up to the service counter and asked "What's going on with my car?!? The service guy informed me that the technician had mistakenly place the wheels in the wrong location and that its "no big deal" and said they are swapping the wheels now and I can be on my way. Well, we had heavy snow that day and I didn't realize at the time that the calipers had been damaged. (The paint/powdercoating was scraped off one side of both front calipers.)
So just yesterday, I started my car and saw the vacuum booster instrument light come on so upon inspecting the brake system I then realized the damage from the tire place.
Now I realize that the light had nothing to do with the screw up with the wheels but I felt that its their responsibility to make this situation right. So I went back to the tire place and spoke to the same salesman of whom I dealt with the last time I was in and explained the situation. He immediately new who i was and accepted fault. I even brought a picture of the caliper with me from when I purchased it a couple weeks before and he said "Sir, I dent even need to see that because I believe you and remember the situation. " so I was relieved that he remembered and didnt give me trouble about my claim but at the same time I was upset that he Knew it was damaged and let me leave the first time without informing me.
This is what they are offering:
* send my calipers out to get repainted/powdercoated and give me a car to use while its getting done
* or get new calipers and take the old ones for a core
(Btw, I told them right off the bat that I dont want money i just want my car to be back in the condition it was before I brought it in)
Which brings me to the point of this thread. I would like to hear some opinions on the following questions I have:
* I want the calipers replaced... Am I overreacting?
* if the calipers are damaged then doesn't that meat that my aluminum wheels would/could be damaged as well?
* is there any other damage that I should be concerned with that couldve been caused by this?
Any and all snout is greatly appreciated...
Old 03-05-2015, 03:21 PM
991 GT3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboDrone
Ok, so I just purchased a 2006 Porsche Cayenne Turbo in excellent (near mint) condition and it has been damaged by the local tire place. Two weeks after purchasing my car I decided to by some new snow tires and have them installed at the local tire place. Well the service technician that was installing the wheels back on my vehicle unknowing put them on the wrong hubs and when he lowered the car down and began to back up it came to a grinding stop. He could only back up about 6" before it seized up and I watched this all happen while looking through the observation window. When it stopped, he had a surprised look on his face and I could hear him give the car more gas to try and overcome the obstacle he thought he was stuck on. He then got out of the car to see what the problem was and I saw the "oh ****" look on his face as he placed his hand over his mouth. After seeing this happen, I walked up to the service counter and asked "What's going on with my car?!? The service guy informed me that the technician had mistakenly place the wheels in the wrong location and that its "no big deal" and said they are swapping the wheels now and I can be on my way. Well, we had heavy snow that day and I didn't realize at the time that the calipers had been damaged. (The paint/powdercoating was scraped off one side of both front calipers.) So just yesterday, I started my car and saw the vacuum booster instrument light come on so upon inspecting the brake system I then realized the damage from the tire place. Now I realize that the light had nothing to do with the screw up with the wheels but I felt that its their responsibility to make this situation right. So I went back to the tire place and spoke to the same salesman of whom I dealt with the last time I was in and explained the situation. He immediately new who i was and accepted fault. I even brought a picture of the caliper with me from when I purchased it a couple weeks before and he said "Sir, I dent even need to see that because I believe you and remember the situation. " so I was relieved that he remembered and didnt give me trouble about my claim but at the same time I was upset that he Knew it was damaged and let me leave the first time without informing me. This is what they are offering: * send my calipers out to get repainted/powdercoated and give me a car to use while its getting done * or get new calipers and take the old ones for a core (Btw, I told them right off the bat that I dont want money i just want my car to be back in the condition it was before I brought it in) Which brings me to the point of this thread. I would like to hear some opinions on the following questions I have: * I want the calipers replaced... Am I overreacting? * if the calipers are damaged then doesn't that meat that my aluminum wheels would/could be damaged as well? * is there any other damage that I should be concerned with that couldve been caused by this? Any and all snout is greatly appreciated...
I would have a Certified Porsche mechanic inspect all things related and get a written inspection. Take that with you for a full restoration. Not sure I'd want them to do it though. I'd want Porsche mechanic do the work and send them the bill. Hands down, this would be my approach. Since they've admitted fault I'd document each conversation and names and tunes / dates. In case this goes to claims.

Quick Reply: Damaged calipers due to service center