Notices

Keep my 996 vs. buy a 991 or a Cayman GTS? Looking for opinions...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 02:24 PM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep my 996 vs. buy a 991 or a Cayman GTS? Looking for opinions...

I'm feeling indecisive, so I'd appricate some perspectives and opinions on my current delima. The engine on my 2003 996 has died. I love the car, but unfortunately it's been sitting idle in my garage for 7 weeks now and I'm getting the itch to get back out on the road. My options as I see them are below:

Keep the 996 and...
1. Replace the engine with a salvage stock 3.6L engine. Put some more money into the car and spend as much time as possible at the track. Maybe turn it into a 996 Spec car.
2. Replace the engine with an upgraded engine. 996TT, X51, Flat6 Stage 2, etc. Track the hell out of it.

Sell the 996 as a roller and...
3. Buy a new Cayman GTS. It's a hell of a lot of car for the price and it's got all the mid engine hoopla. Great option as a daily driver as well as a fun track car.
4. Buy a low mileage used 991 Carerra S. I'm a bit partial to staying with a 911, mostly due to aesthetics but also the tradition. I love the design of the 991. I think I'd be a lot more reticent to take a new 911 to the track and more cautious when/if I did.

Factors to consider:
- My 996 is a manual, has the factory sport suspension, aero kit and deep sump kit.
- I would like to commute in the car on a semi regular basis. My drive is about 2.5hrs a day, a lot of it in traffic, so the stick shift gets tiring.
- I have zero track experience, but would very much like to change that.
- I have several good offers for the 996.
- My wife is supportive of all options, but prefers putting money into the 996 and getting track experience before taking a newer car to the track.
- I've got a couple hours scheduled tomorrow to test drive at my local dealer.

Thoughts?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:12 AM
sacusa
Cruisin'

Well, i will listen your wife.
Replace the engine with a salvage stock 3.6L engine. Put some more money into the car and spend as much time as possible at the track. Maybe turn it into a 996 Spec car.
And then, when you are ready to jump, i will get a Cayman GT4. Why bother with the GTS.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:36 AM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Originally Posted by sacusa
And then, when you are ready to jump, i will get a Cayman GT4. Why bother with the GTS.
Because the wait list foa GT4 is too long at this point. I asked!
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM
sacusa
Cruisin'

How long is the wait?
Imagine the GT4 blow up your mind.
You can still drive the 996 while waiting.
But if you want a new toy, right now then get it. It s no big deal.
I will get the cayman GTS before the 991, the way the cayman handle is more fun for me.
Did you test drive a 991? what did you think?
Old 02-20-2015, 03:13 PM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

How long is the wait?
Imagine the GT4 blow up your mind.
You can still drive the 996 while waiting.
But if you want a new toy, right now then get it. It s no big deal.
It's not about how long the wait is, but instead about how many will even be available. I've talked to the two closest dealers, and both have lists of 15+ people but are only expecting to get 5-6 cars. So there aren't enough cars for everyone, even if you're willing to wait!

I will get the cayman GTS before the 991, the way the cayman handle is more fun for me.
Did you test drive a 991? what did you think?
I just got back from the test drive. Drove a Cayman S, Cayman GTS, and a Carerra S. All of them were new. The Caymans were fun, but the 991 was the clear winner. The drives weren't nearly spirited enough to really test the cars, but I had some twisties and tight turns. The Cayman really does plant well on those turns and it felt more responsive, but the Carerra was so smooth, more powerful and still a damn nimble car.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:20 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't have much time, our track is going, and there's only one DE event left for you in April. Onefastviking I believe has a 996 engine available, looks like a drop in. That's a piece of cake.

I know, it's hard to put $12k or more into a $25k car.

Just my $0.02
Old 02-22-2015, 10:23 PM
AndrewMT996
Instructor

Originally Posted by jellonailer
You don't have much time, our track is going, and there's only one DE event left for you in April. Onefastviking I believe has a 996 engine available, looks like a drop in. That's a piece of cake.

I know, it's hard to put $12k or more into a $25k car.

Just my $0.02
So I've decided to keep the car, and I'm working to close the deal on the engine Viking has. I'm hoping to get the engine in before the last good weekend up in Texas Motor Speedway in March, but that might be cutting it close.

Either way, I've decided that my current car is perfect for my plans and selling just didn't make sense.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:10 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hope you're registered and a solo driver. I think its closed. Mid April is your next PCA chance. TWS I believe has a couple of PDS's in the next few months. Check out club registration . net

Quick Reply: Keep my 996 vs. buy a 991 or a Cayman GTS? Looking for opinions...