Notices

Repair Shop Breaks Something - Who Pays For it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 01:58 AM
Rob_in_NorCal
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair Shop Breaks Something - Who Pays For it?

Hi Rennlist,

Today while getting my brake system flushed, a shop I've used before ended up cracking my wheel lock key when removing the wheels. The key will need to be replaced, and since I have yet to find a key being sold without the locking lug nuts, the cost is about $85.

On one hand, you could argue it's hard to crack those things unless there was an unseen flaw, and it therfore would have happened anyway during its next use, so I should pay for it.

On the other hand, the same shop did a PPI for me, during which they checked engine compression. A week later, I had a new spark plug with cracked porcelain, causing the spark plug boot to jump off. This would indicate sloppiness with sockets - which would also crack a wheel lock key.

In neither case did the proprietor offer to pay for the damage. I did not ask him to, as it was unclear to me what was best practice.

SO, what do you think? Are these both just random damages that I should eat up, or is it reasonable to expect some amount of payment?

Thanks for your thoughts.

best,
Rob

Last edited by Rob_in_NorCal; 01-30-2015 at 04:29 AM. Reason: more detail, logic clarification
Old 01-30-2015, 03:03 PM
ags28
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you take them to Small Claims Court, it will be up to you to prove it was their negligence that caused the part to fail. They, of course, will argue that they are an experienced shop, know how to turn a wrench, and it was simply a part that broke under normal use. You have a steep hill to climb. I'd let it go......
Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM
2011guardsredcay
Intermediate

You could at least bring up your concerns and see what response they have. Whatever they do, I would seek a better shop.
Old 02-01-2015, 01:47 AM
Rob_in_NorCal
7th Gear

Thanks both. I'll bring it up with the owner and see if that yields anything useful. I will definitely avoid small claims court, and very likely this garage again.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hate those rim locks. Throw them away.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:17 PM
vu.q.le
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They porsche service manager in Pasadena CA suggested I throw them away because they are a pain in the ***. Who will steal them anyway?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:52 AM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 172 Posts

I would find a new shop.

Quick Reply: Repair Shop Breaks Something - Who Pays For it?