Notices

M guy to 911 guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 02:26 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mld3021
I had a 2012 M3 which I adored, went to M school, fell in love with M4, traded M3 for a new M4, totaled it on Christmas day with 331 miles (not a typo, 331 miles, spun off an on ramp and crashed into wall--all my fault), couldn't find another M4 I liked, talked to some very knowledgeable Porsche guys, and just bought a CPO 2013 C2S with 789 miles (not a typo, 789). PDK, every pkg, Sport Chrono. Dark blue with luxor beige full leather. Delivery next week.
So, will I be happy?
In a word yes...

M cars (especially NA M3's) are really special cars, and are an amazing blend of practicality and sport. I still keep several in my collection.

Porsche's trade a good bit of practicality for a lot more 'sport'. This becomes immediately obvious if you track the car but even brisk canyon carving will tell the tale. The robustness of a Porsche when used hard is definitely a notch higher than BMW M. And the weight differentials make for a totally different, nimble feel unless you are all the way back to an E36 (but then you have no grunt). Since the E39/E46 the big enemy of performance for Bimmers have been their high curb weights. The newer Bimmers (e9X and up) do have a smoothness and slickness in the feel of the controls and the engine that Porsche didn't build in until it's 991 gen cars, but Bimmers simply don't perform as well. Porsches' controls feel harder and alot more mechanical when used lightly but that feel imparts a tremendous sense of connectedness, responsiveness and balance when driven 7/10's and up.

Welcome and enjoy what will no doubt be a great journey.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:12 AM
911-140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
In a word yes...

M cars (especially NA M3's) are really special cars, and are an amazing blend of practicality and sport. I still keep several in my collection.

Porsche's trade a good bit of practicality for a lot more 'sport'. This becomes immediately obvious if you track the car but even brisk canyon carving will tell the tale. The robustness of a Porsche when used hard is definitely a notch higher than BMW M. And the weight differentials make for a totally different, nimble feel unless you are all the way back to an E36 (but then you have no grunt). Since the E39/E46 the big enemy of performance for Bimmers have been their high curb weights. The newer Bimmers (e9X and up) do have a smoothness and slickness in the feel of the controls and the engine that Porsche didn't build in until it's 991 gen cars, but Bimmers simply don't perform as well. Porsches' controls feel harder and alot more mechanical when used lightly but that feel imparts a tremendous sense of connectedness, responsiveness and balance when driven 7/10's and up.

Welcome and enjoy what will no doubt be a great journey.

^^^^ this pretty much sums it up for me as well.

I've had 5 M cars, 3 of which were M3's ,the last being a 2009 E90 M3 manual which I just sold this past Fall. I do miss it occasionally, what's not to like about 8250rpm at full chat . In the end I just could not coax out of it the "feel" I needed. I think I was more in love with it visually than the way it drove. And yes, in M-Dynamic mode you could reaaally push it around a technical short track like Lime Rock and throttle steer your way out of an armco, but I wanted/needed something lighter and a wee bit raw w/o resorting to an aircooled.

My current 911 is my 3rd . Let's just say it's good to be home. YMMV.

To the original poster...I love how all it took was that one test drive to sway you to your 911 ! awesome and enjoy the journey. Sweet car.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:47 AM
AA717driver
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The M4 is a beautiful car--I'm guessing you would have been happy with it...but not happier!

Beautiful machine, Baba!

I haven't driven an M3 but my friend's 335 is nice but it's just not a 911. I just look at it as apples and oranges.

TC
Old 03-12-2015, 12:51 PM
popspin
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am another "M Guy" moving from a 2013 M3 to a C4s. Late May delivery!!
I needed a change.
Popspin
Old 03-12-2015, 12:59 PM
popspin
Track Day

I am another "M Guy" moving from a 2013 M3 to a C4s. Late May delivery!!
I needed a change.
Popspin
Old 03-12-2015, 11:15 PM
Ryan...
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Former BMW //M owner checking in!

E39 m5
E36 m3 x2

My last BMW was a 1998 323is which was a perfect DD. Made the jump to a 2000 911 with 0 regrets!
Old 03-17-2015, 04:03 PM
cheese
AutoX

Welcome and enjoy the ride! I just traded a 2015 Z4 for an X1. I will be driving a 2015 M235i-Xdrive beginning in late June. I am more excited to be getting my 1997 Boxster base model (Viper Green) back from the indie shop today. It is my DD and has my heart. BMW cars are great, but my very old and slow Boxster has a soul. Happy St. Patrick's Day!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:10 PM
lightguy
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had pretty much all the brands including Ferrari and Lotus.
My 6 banger Euro M-6 was pretty neat in its day.

There is nothing like the simple yet effective engineering of a Porsche.
I was trying to talk my son into one, but for his job, he says its too flashy.
So he's hot for a E92. He CAN afford a F82 but that is too flashy (as its a new car) as well.

Quick Reply: M guy to 911 guy