Notices

I'm considering buying a 2002 Boxster but I have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 08:38 AM
ZEvans
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm considering buying a 2002 Boxster but I have a few questions...

Hey all,

I recently found a deal on a 2002 Boxster 986 here in Dallas, Texas and I'm considering buying it as a daily driver for my self.

It would be my first roadster/convertible. My current daily driver is a 2002 Mercedes Benz ML320 AWD SUV So it would definitely be a bit of a culture shock to me.

Basically I wanted to know a little bit about boxsters before I get more interested in buying it. I know absolutely nothing about Porsche's. Never owned one or known any one who has. I just found this recently and got serious about making the purchase.

It is a soft top 2002 Boxster 986 Automatic Trans with 147,000 miles on it and the guy is asking $6,500 for it. I know this is small potatoes compared to most of you guys who talk about and Own these 911's and GT3's like their pairs of tube socks in the draw but this is around my budget.

I wanted to know are they maintenance heavy? Do they start to fall apart around this mileage? (150,000) Is there anything horrific that happens to them BEFORE this mileage that I should look out for? Just basic info like that.

I do not do maintenance my self so any work that would have to be done would be by a mechanic. I understand that the vehicle is mid-engine so that drives any kind of maintenance cost up but is it ridiculously more then a traditional front engine vehicle?

I know on later model Mercedes C-Class cars, the transmission is famous for getting in really bad shape at around 90,000 miles. Is the Porsche Boxster similar in any way?

If any one can supply me with some general ownership info about these Boxsters with over 100,000 miles on them I would appreciate it.

Thank You!

Quick Reply: I'm considering buying a 2002 Boxster but I have a few questions...