Notices

Purchasing 1st 1999 911 coupe 6spd..Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
is300matt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing 1st 1999 911 coupe 6spd..Questions

Well I am a newbie to the Porsche community and am planning on purchsing a used 1999 911 n/a coupe 6spd with 50k miles on it.The car has only had one owner, is flawless inside and out. My questions are as follows:
-How many miles do these cars see until major problems occur ?(motor)
-How often is oil changed in Porsches and how hard is it to attempt on your own?
-How long does the tranny/clutch setup last on the 1999 911 before seeing sufficient wear and tear?

Dont really have alot of questions , just the basics that everyone wants to understand before purchsing a car. I am eager to learn more about the car and hope you guys can help me.
Thanks!
-Matt
Old 06-04-2005, 10:34 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Welcome.

Your first stop will likely be the 996 forum, as 1999 911's are 996 series.

The only major issue identified with this series of motors is the Rear Main Seal (RMS). It is impossible to predict when it will start to leak and replacement is $1500 or so (yes, it's a $20 part!).
Apart from RMS, you can go well past 100K miles with no engine wear, oil consumption, etc.

Oil change intervals is a personal preference. FWIW, I only use Mobil 1 synthetic in all my cars and change the oil every 3K-5K miles. Track car oil changes are much more frequent. Brey Krause makes a new oil pan which helps prevent starvation in high G driving, nice addition in any case. These are not dry sump motors (only the Turbo, GT2 and GT3 have the dry sump motor derived from the GT1.....very different from the regular 996 motor)

Porsches are NOT fond of "holeshots" and drag strips....i.e. they don't like to have the clutch dropped in an effort to light up the tires and launch from the line. These are not Camaros. With proper driving, the clutch will last past 100K miles.

As far as your purchase, I would strongly suggest a PPI done by a good Pcar mechanic who knows the 996's. Check to see if there is ANY issue with the RMS, check coolant to see if there is any oil mixing in, make sure all the TSB's and recalls have been done. After that, the usual applies....Carfax, bodywork/paint check, etc.
If you are buying it from a dealer, the Porsche Certified PreOwned warranty (out 2 years/100K miles) is nice security.

Best of luck.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:26 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is there some sort of 1999 buyer's guide that lists all the TSBs, recalls etc? Many thx, ltc!
Old 06-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Eli at Pelican
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Is there some sort of 1999 buyer's guide that lists all the TSBs, recalls etc? Many thx, ltc!
I would suggest the PPI if you don't know much about these cars.... It would also help to have someone with you who knows so they can point out all the little flaws as they see them.

Good Luck guys!

BTW: RMS issue should be a $800-1200 repair....

-Eli

Quick Reply: Purchasing 1st 1999 911 coupe 6spd..Questions