997S Brake Pad DIY - Rennlist Discussion Forums

997S Brake Pad DIY

Old 03-23-2006, 02:16 PM   #1
cgomez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default 997S Brake Pad DIY

I've done several searches but have found none specific to changing pads on a 997S (or 996TT that uses same brakes).
Some instructions for similar Porsches show that you have to remove the Caliper. Is this true?
I always thought the beauty of Porsche (Brembo type) brakes were how easy it was to swap pads.
Appreciate any help/advise in this regard before I start pulling unnecessary bolts.
Old 03-23-2006, 04:29 PM   #2
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Removing the pads is very simple. No caliper removal is needed. What you want to do, however, is to push back the pistons a bit so that when you put the new pads in there is room for them. Doublecheck to make sure that you don't overflow the brakefluid reservoir when you do that.

After you have pushed the pistons back you need to punch out the retaining pins with a narrow punch tool and then simply R&R the pads.

After you put the pins in press on the brake pedal and check the feel to ensure that it's solid and not squishy,--and then finally check your fluid level one last time. Finally, do the standard pad burn in which everyone today should be familiar with by now.

Of course, each model may be a little different in the number of pins and so forth,--and the brake pad warning low wire needs to be reattached.

See photo at here:

http://www.elaborare.com/htm/tecnica...IMG/PCCB-3.jpg

dan
Old 03-23-2006, 06:17 PM   #3
Loren
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgomez
I've done several searches but have found none specific to changing pads on a 997S (or 996TT that uses same brakes).
Some instructions for similar Porsches show that you have to remove the Caliper. Is this true?
I always thought the beauty of Porsche (Brembo type) brakes were how easy it was to swap pads.
Appreciate any help/advise in this regard before I start pulling unnecessary bolts.
No you don't need to remove the calipers. See the DIY here.
The article talks about 996 but the pics are from a TT - they are very close to the same.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
cgomez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info.
Did the work yesterday. First side took me a while until I figured out I had to scrape hard to remove the vibration dampers plate that is stuck to the OEM pads.

BTW, since I was putting in track pads (Yellow RS19s) I did not put in the damper plates (pad was to thick to fit with those in). Any issues with piston acting straight on to the pad metal surface? (I didn't have any with my M3 nor the Lotus by doing this but want to make sure).

Also, I did not drill the pads to install the pad sensor and instead of closing the loop as suggested in other treads I just tied the senor wires on to themselves with a zip tie (so that they can be reused when I put the OEM pads back next winter.
Old 03-24-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

The damper plates contribute little and will not be missed. I believe the reason some manu. put those in is as a response to complaints about squeeky brakes. If you brake like you're SUPPOSED to you don't get squeeks!

Good solution with the sensor wires.

Dan