Events A place to announce events of interest

2015 Rolex 24hrs of Daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 04:22 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Hey Ron,

Thanks for the heads up and invite. I wish the team the best of luck with all the cars, but especially with the #50 Daytona Prototype. The Fifty Plus Racing website has pictures of the car going airborne last week. Wow! It would be an epic come back if they can do it. Best of luck. Matt
Old 01-20-2015, 10:21 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Fishey
So, I will be down at the race in the paddock working for Doran Racing/Fifty Plus Racing on the 14 and 41 GS cars in CTCSC and the 50 DP car in the Tudor United/24 hours of Daytona.

If you guys stop by just look for the Red Head or ask for Ron.

P.S. Yes, I know its not a Porsche team but at least the DP is running BMW power right?
In a way, it is a Porsche team. David Hinton (one of the drivers) owns Heritage Motorsports here in Clearwater, FL and they support a LOT of Porsches for vintage racing, especially in HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing) of which David is also Owner/President. Walk into their shop & except for the odd Jaguar and a few BMW CSLs, it's all Porsche. To see this bunch in action, come back to Daytona in November for the Classic 24 Hour on 11/14-15.
Old 01-21-2015, 06:50 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VintageRacer477
In a way, it is a Porsche team. David Hinton (one of the drivers) owns Heritage Motorsports here in Clearwater, FL and they support a LOT of Porsches for vintage racing, especially in HSR (Historic Sportscar Racing) of which David is also Owner/President. Walk into their shop & except for the odd Jaguar and a few BMW CSLs, it's all Porsche. To see this bunch in action, come back to Daytona in November for the Classic 24 Hour on 11/14-15.
Yea, Dave is a big Porsche guy. I was at classic 24 this year but only early on so I didn't really get a chance to talk to him at all. Kevin Doran was also the man behind putting togeather the start of Porsche at Indycar and the legendary 962 programs for Al Holbert. So certainly a lot of Porsche fans inside the team.
Old 01-21-2015, 09:04 PM
RedBarron
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be there! No PCA pass however. Should be a fun time!
Old 01-22-2015, 01:10 PM
550orm5
3rd Gear

Hey guys,

I will be there with my Dad. He was invited to run his historic Porsche 962 in the 24 Minutes of Daytona on Saturday at 10am. The actual 24 hr of Daytona doesn't start until 2pm I think but there are going to be some badass cars out there in this Historic race...I may even get a few practice laps in

Oh and its for sale if anyone is interested? (not an ad since I don't own the car.)

1985 Porsche 962 - Ex Jim Busby race car
http://www.kidston.com/kidston-cars/...5-Porsche-962#
Old 01-23-2015, 09:57 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Originally Posted by 550orm5
Hey guys,

I will be there with my Dad. He was invited to run his historic Porsche 962 in the 24 Minutes of Daytona on Saturday at 10am. The actual 24 hr of Daytona doesn't start until 2pm I think but there are going to be some badass cars out there in this Historic race...I may even get a few practice laps in

Oh and its for sale if anyone is interested? (not an ad since I don't own the car.)

1985 Porsche 962 - Ex Jim Busby race car
http://www.kidston.com/kidston-cars/...5-Porsche-962#
I'm stuck in our booth on Vendor Row just up from Fan Zone. 'll be at the East Hairpin fence with cameras at the start of the vintage show. Plan to post it on YouTube and have in our next week's newsletter. Wish I could make it down to the garages to see this gem. If sold, please be sure to tell the new owner about the Classic 24 Hour at Daytona in November.

Hope you all come by our Vintage Motorsport booth to say hello.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:53 AM
Ppridday
2nd Gear

Oh wow. I wish I had read this last week. My wife and our friends camped in the infield all weekend. This is the second year for all of us and the third time for me. We will be back again next year. My buddy and I get to cruise around the track all weekend and our wives like to just hang out, drink wine and cook. My buds wife is a chef and caterer so we eat like kings from Thursday night to Monday morning.

We got to see the vintage laps up close. Unbelievable. And the Rothmans Porsche was on display as well which is the Porsche I have lusted for since I was a little guy.

My wife and I do not bring our Porsches down as we haul down from Minnesota but we have always been able to get into the corral with our PCA cards. Lots of great mechanical eye candy there as well.

Hope we get to see you all next year for the 54th...

Paul
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ppridday; 01-28-2015 at 01:46 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:57 AM
JennB
Track Day

Y'all are making me homesick! I've been to the 24 countless times and just love the event. I especially love watching the cars in the dead of the night when the racing seems so pure.

I have to admit to always making a point to go up and stand right long the grandstand fence near the start/finish line and feel the rush of wind from the cars and be nearly deafened as they go by. I giggle like a schoolgirl every time.

I think I may need to make the trip next year.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:21 AM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Originally Posted by Ppridday
We got to see the vintage laps up close. Unbelievable. And the Rothmans Porsche was on display as well which is the Porsche I have lusted for since I was a little guy.
I know it's a haul from up there. But, if you love 956 & 962 Porsches so much, you MUST plan to come back in November for the HSR "Classic 24 Hour." There were 7 of them there last year along with many more iconic Porsche race cars. All available to see up-close & personal.

We'll have a Car Corral on the paved lots right next to the building where the Audi Club had their hospitality. Corral dates are Nov. 14 & 15. Free coffee & donuts and Goody Bags. Don't know how many of those yet. "Stay tuned."

I'll start a thread for it under "Events" so everyone can keep up-to-date.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Ppridday
2nd Gear

That is definitely something I would be up for. If I can make it I will. There is also a NASA HPDE there in October that I would like to bring my DE car over for. Just an older Spec Miata. I don't have the heart to take my 88 911 Cab out on the track. WAY too worried about scraping her up. Maybe I could roll it all into one trip if work permits.

Quick Reply: 2015 Rolex 24hrs of Daytona