Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Stuttgart museum visit and Ring questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:07 AM
johnsopa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Stuttgart museum visit and Ring questions

I'm taking my sons (19 and 14) for a super quick trip to pick up my wife's M3 in Munich next week. Our planned schedule:
  • Thursday night - Leave the US
  • Friday - Arrive Munich. Recover and visit BMW museum.
  • Saturday - AM - hopefully we are the first delivery at the BMW delivery center
  • Saturday - late AM - drive to Stuttgart
  • Saturday - afternoon - visit Porsche museum
  • Saturday - evening - drive to Nurburg or thereabouts
  • Sunday - drive Nurburgring until we get tired of it
  • Sunday - evening - return to Munich
  • Monday - AM - drop off M3 and fly home

Couple of questions.
  1. Is 4 - 5 hours a good amount of time at the Stuttgart museum?
  2. Are there any freebies or special things Porsche or GT car owners can ask for?
  3. Do they have any simulators like in Atlanta? I know the Atlanta ones weren't hard core but my wife and I had fun driving them and my boys would like them, I think.
  4. Any recommendations for Porsche car rentals at the 'Ring? We'll probably just drive the new M3 but it would be cool to rent a 911 or Cayman for a couple of laps.

Appreciate any recommendations or pointers!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:59 AM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

We were able to take the first morning delivery in Stuttgart, have a factory tour, lunch at factory, Porsche Museum, and a very quick tour of the Mercedes Museum, all in one day. We felt the museum timing was tighter than we would have liked, but didn't budget more time for that. A full morning at Porsche Museum should be plenty enough, though. The Mercedes Museum is larger and quite interesting, even if you're not a Mercedes fan, and I'd allow longer for that.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:22 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsopa
I'm taking my sons (19 and 14) for a super quick trip to pick up my wife's M3 in Munich next week. Our planned schedule:
  • Thursday night - Leave the US
  • Friday - Arrive Munich. Recover and visit BMW museum.
  • Saturday - AM - hopefully we are the first delivery at the BMW delivery center
  • Saturday - late AM - drive to Stuttgart
  • Saturday - afternoon - visit Porsche museum
  • Saturday - evening - drive to Nurburg or thereabouts
  • Sunday - drive Nurburgring until we get tired of it
  • Sunday - evening - return to Munich
  • Monday - AM - drop off M3 and fly home

Couple of questions.
  1. Is 4 - 5 hours a good amount of time at the Stuttgart museum?
  2. Are there any freebies or special things Porsche or GT car owners can ask for?
  3. Do they have any simulators like in Atlanta? I know the Atlanta ones weren't hard core but my wife and I had fun driving them and my boys would like them, I think.
  4. Any recommendations for Porsche car rentals at the 'Ring? We'll probably just drive the new M3 but it would be cool to rent a 911 or Cayman for a couple of laps.

Appreciate any recommendations or pointers!
Having just done a few of these activities here are your answers

-4-5hrs in Stuttgart is more than enough, even if you eat lunch outside and then do the full museum that's maybe 2hrs. If you're doing a factory tour then probably closer to 4-5.
-Don't think so, but we didn't ask.
-Yep some kinda crappy ones upstairs, nothing outlandish
-If the boys are with you definitely do the Ring Taxi. the F80 M3 is fun for $269 Euro's, guy rips that thing around and you can all go together. M3 seemed more fun than the M5.
-RSR Nurburgring has a ton of fun stuff to rent, just check their website. Otherwise just run the M3 it'll be broken in by then

If you have extra time in Stuttgart the Mercedes museum is arguably a much better museum and takes a few hours, but has some cool stuff.

The drive is about 3-3.5hrs to the Ring, but man is it worth it. Car Mecca.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:36 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

There are a handful of track car rental outfits. RSR is one that is well known from their videos with Ron and Sabine, but there are some others worth checking out: rentracecar.com and rent4ring.de. Don't forget the taxi laps either. I did a lap with Theo (of rentracecar) in his new GT3 RS. Wow! And Theo and his wife opened a lovely bed and breakfast, Hotel Parc Fermé. Well worth checking out!
Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM
asamhall
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 4-5 hours you have planned for the Porsche Museum you could do both the Porsche Museum as well as the Mercedes Benz Museum across town.

If you have PCA cards or if it's your birthday you can get free admission to the Porsche museum.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:53 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

If you never driven Nordschleife I would suggest a less exotic car than a Porsche or an M3 at least until you familiarize yourself with the track.

6h WEC is at the GP Track during the 24th of July. (I'll most likely be there. No TF planned for me that day.)
Old 07-17-2016, 06:56 PM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a lot of construction on A8...expect delays, even if it is a 'no work' day.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:31 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

^ I just experienced his first hand a few days ago. Midday midweek and still very slow.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:10 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Deutsches Museum in Munich. At Porsche your PCA card will also get u a discount in the gift shop and spend over 20 euros gets you VAT refund, Park under the museum. Drive Ring but keep in mind, there can be accidents, leave when you feel you've done enough, you want "Alter Ring" or Nordschleife, new Nurburgring is down the street, it does have cool gift shop, you need to buy Ring decal for car, Look online to see what the hours for for driving there "Touristfahren" They tell you no video, so put camera down at the entrance/exit. As for simulators, I think last time i was tat Porsche museum they had a car/video game thing set up, I didnt try it, I didnt fly halfway across the planet to drive playstation

Quick Reply: Stuttgart museum visit and Ring questions