Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Euro Delivery Report - April 2016 - 17 Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 02:57 PM
ehchan
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Euro Delivery Report - April 2016 - 17 Macan S

So, having gotten over my jet lag, I thought I'd write a bit about our Euro Delivery experience with family.

We started our trip on April 10 with a week in London and Paris to tour sites and get over the jet lag. Our delivery was set for April 19 in Zuffenhausen. We used the SNCF/Dbahn ICE train to Stuttgart from Paris on the 18th and stayed at the Steigenberger hotel across from the train station. Porsche graciously reserved and paid for 1 night in a junior suite with a foldout bed so our family of four slept well.

The next day was delivery day. We took a taxi bright and early to the Porsche Factory. Tip #1: The taxi driver won’t know where to go. The location to drop off for deliveries is “Porschestrasse 2, Zuffenhausen.” There we were allowed to view Porsche’s “Exclusive Collection” where they show off some of their more exotic colors and interiors. Once it was time, we were ushered into the delivery area and shown our new Sapphire Blue Macan S (which was parked 2 cars away from a Sapphire Blue Macan GTS!) There, you are given a very extensive lesson on operating your car (seriously, 1 hour!). After that, they let you drive your car out of the delivery area to the car park outside and get ready for your factory tour. We parked next to the twin GTS of course, and took pictures J.

After leaving our kids with a Porsche employee who graciously volunteered to watch them, we set off on the factory tour. The tour itself is quite fascinating. I took a Tesla tour several months ago, but this one is quite a bit more special, able to see more processes of the factory and the JIT customization required for a custom car maker. Interestingly, 718s and 911s all come down the same line, and are built to order as they come. The factory is organized such that any car can come and all the associated parts are ready for assembly as required. I noticed a large construction site next to the main factory, our tour guide let it be known that it was the new site for the Mission E, so that’s good news. After a lunch in the restaurant, we took a quick tour of the museum, and then set off in our car.

Our planned trip took us down to Zurich, then across to Schwangau to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, then to Salzburg for a couple of days. Then we’d backtrack through Munich and into Stuttgart to return. Driving on the unlimited Autobahn was thankfully a pleasant experience. Cars were varied, some fast, some less so, but everyone displayed a respect for other drivers that was sorely lacking here in the US. Slower cars moved to the right to allow overtaking. Faster cars took their opportunities and slowed appropriately for traffic. Most importantly, everyone seemed to be paying attention. Oh, how I wish this was the driving case in the US. Even in larger cities like Munich and Zurich, most local drivers were vastly better behaved than here in Los Angeles. We did encounter some bad drivers though. They were from Greece .

Anyways, it was certainly an experience we are glad we did, even with dealing with our kids. They learned a lot about Europe and got to experience some great historical sites and playgrounds! I know Porsche doesn’t give any discounts or free plane tickets, but honestly, if you’re going on a European road trip, having your own Porsche to drive there is totally worth it!

One thing I forgot to ask about upon return, is whether we needed the green evironmental sticker in cities. I did not have one on my car, and did not have time nor energy (2 kids!) to get one, so I was careful to park the car in garages and generally out of sight of police. I know BMW and Audi give you one, since they are in Munich. Also, Stuttgart is a green zone now too, so you need one there. Anyways, if you are going, I'd ask during delivery about it so you don't have to worry like me.

Old 05-05-2016, 04:18 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Awesome pics and info! Thanks for sharing

Any recommendations on where to eat in Stuttgart? We'll have a 3 month old in June.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:29 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by TorqueChap

Any recommendations on where to eat in Stuttgart? We'll have a 3 month old in June.
My son and I ate at Vinolio Cucina Italiana in Stuttgart. Surprisingly good, pretty chic and a reasonable walk from the Steigenberger. Coincidentally, there was an adjacent table with 4 young women, two with infants. It's not a "can't miss" destination, but very good.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:52 PM
ehchan
Track Day

We only stayed 2 nights in Stuttgart, which my wife found pretty dreary overall. We did eat at the Block House next to the hotel -- pretty meh... The restaurant at the Mercedes Museum was quite nice though. Also room service in the Steigenberger was decent and not crazily overpriced.

On another subject, you're going to bring your 3 month old on a Euro Delivery? The car will make life 100% easier compared to trains and public transportation! We used the car as a napping device for our 3 year old more than a few times on our trip It kept everyone sane!
Old 05-05-2016, 05:55 PM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ehchan
So, having gotten over my jet lag, I thought I'd write a bit about our Euro Delivery experience with family.

We started our trip on April 10 with a week in London and Paris to tour sites and get over the jet lag. Our delivery was set for April 19 in Zuffenhausen. We used the SNCF/Dbahn ICE train to Stuttgart from Paris on the 18th and stayed at the Steigenberger hotel across from the train station. Porsche graciously reserved and paid for 1 night in a junior suite with a foldout bed so our family of four slept well.

The next day was delivery day. We took a taxi bright and early to the Porsche Factory. Tip #1: The taxi driver won’t know where to go. The location to drop off for deliveries is “Porschestrasse 2, Zuffenhausen.” There we were allowed to view Porsche’s “Exclusive Collection” where they show off some of their more exotic colors and interiors. Once it was time, we were ushered into the delivery area and shown our new Sapphire Blue Macan S (which was parked 2 cars away from a Sapphire Blue Macan GTS!) There, you are given a very extensive lesson on operating your car (seriously, 1 hour!). After that, they let you drive your car out of the delivery area to the car park outside and get ready for your factory tour. We parked next to the twin GTS of course, and took pictures J.

After leaving our kids with a Porsche employee who graciously volunteered to watch them, we set off on the factory tour. The tour itself is quite fascinating. I took a Tesla tour several months ago, but this one is quite a bit more special, able to see more processes of the factory and the JIT customization required for a custom car maker. Interestingly, 718s and 911s all come down the same line, and are built to order as they come. The factory is organized such that any car can come and all the associated parts are ready for assembly as required. I noticed a large construction site next to the main factory, our tour guide let it be known that it was the new site for the Mission E, so thatÂ’s good news. After a lunch in the restaurant, we took a quick tour of the museum, and then set off in our car.

Our planned trip took us down to Zurich, then across to Schwangau to visit Neuschwanstein Castle, then to Salzburg for a couple of days. Then weÂ’d backtrack through Munich and into Stuttgart to return. Driving on the unlimited Autobahn was thankfully a pleasant experience. Cars were varied, some fast, some less so, but everyone displayed a respect for other drivers that was sorely lacking here in the US. Slower cars moved to the right to allow overtaking. Faster cars took their opportunities and slowed appropriately for traffic. Most importantly, everyone seemed to be paying attention. Oh, how I wish this was the driving case in the US. Even in larger cities like Munich and Zurich, most local drivers were vastly better behaved than here in Los Angeles. We did encounter some bad drivers though. They were from Greece .

Anyways, it was certainly an experience we are glad we did, even with dealing with our kids. They learned a lot about Europe and got to experience some great historical sites and playgrounds! I know Porsche doesnÂ’t give any discounts or free plane tickets, but honestly, if youÂ’re going on a European road trip, having your own Porsche to drive there is totally worth it!

One thing I forgot to ask about upon return, is whether we needed the green evironmental sticker in cities. I did not have one on my car, and did not have time nor energy (2 kids!) to get one, so I was careful to park the car in garages and generally out of sight of police. I know BMW and Audi give you one, since they are in Munich. Also, Stuttgart is a green zone now too, so you need one there. Anyways, if you are going, I'd ask during delivery about it so you don't have to worry like me.

Your Macan looks great.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:24 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ehchan
On another subject, you're going to bring your 3 month old on a Euro Delivery? The car will make life 100% easier compared to trains and public transportation! We used the car as a napping device for our 3 year old more than a few times on our trip It kept everyone sane!
Yup! Planning to bring our then 3 month old along for the ride.

Originally Posted by mb1
My son and I ate at Vinolio Cucina Italiana in Stuttgart. Surprisingly good, pretty chic and a reasonable walk from the Steigenberger. Coincidentally, there was an adjacent table with 4 young women, two with infants. It's not a "can't miss" destination, but very good.
Thanks for the restaurant reco!
Old 05-06-2016, 08:44 PM
peanuboy
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Awesome photos and awesome trip! Looks like everyone had a great time!

Trending Topics

Old 05-07-2016, 06:47 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1) those kids are having way too much fun!

2) Dad, you will have created expensive tastes in them!

Very nice photos.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:58 PM
ehchan
Track Day

Originally Posted by 917k
1) those kids are having way too much fun!

2) Dad, you will have created expensive tastes in them!

Very nice photos.
Thanks! The kids are pretty used to overseas travel as we generally go to Asia every year. And LOL, I think they'd have as much fun in a Kia dealership as the Porsche delivery center
Old 05-10-2016, 11:05 AM
sfy1505
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got back last week from the Euro Delivery of my Targa 4S on April 26. This time stayed at the Schlossgarten, in my option way nicer than the Steigenberger. Have eaten at a small Italian place "Valle" this trip and on a previous MB delivery a few years ago. It's really good and about a five to ten minute walk from the hotels.
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2016, 11:31 AM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sfy1505
Just got back last week from the Euro Delivery of my Targa 4S on April 26. This time stayed at the Schlossgarten, in my option way nicer than the Steigenberger. Have eaten at a small Italian place "Valle" this trip and on a previous MB delivery a few years ago. It's really good and about a five to ten minute walk from the hotels.
Love the car!! Picking up my .1 Targa in June and can't wait!

How safe was the hotel parking?
1. Is it secure?
2. Safe from door dings?
3. Can you park it yourself or beholden to valets?
4. Is there space for me to apply temporary Xpel to the areas not being professionally done while I'm in Europe?

Thanks also for he hotel reco
Old 05-10-2016, 04:23 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the photos! Looks you guys had a great time!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:26 PM
ehchan
Track Day

Default Timeframe from returning car

So, now comes the difficult task of waiting -- does anyone know the general lengths of time between returning the car and getting on a boat? I know the sailing time from Emden to San Diego would be generally 6-7 weeks. It'd be nice to have the car here of course, especially as I'm now paying for a car lease without a car!
Old 05-10-2016, 06:32 PM
ehchan
Track Day

Love the car!! Picking up my .1 Targa in June and can't wait!

How safe was the hotel parking?
1. Is it secure?
2. Safe from door dings?
3. Can you park it yourself or beholden to valets?
4. Is there space for me to apply temporary Xpel to the areas not being professionally done while I'm in Europe?

Thanks also for he hotel reco
At the Steigenberger, the parking spots are tight, but if you're lucky you can find a spot along a wall so that the only cars you need to be concerned with are in front and behind. It is self parking in a municipal lot that the hotel has a small section gated off. Generally, in most places, parking spaces are tight, but most people park pretty well in the lines, and spread out if possible. I did not suffer any dings during my 8 days, parking mostly in underground public garages, and did not use valet services except when required.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 PM
ehchan
Track Day

Originally Posted by sfy1505
Good to know about the Schlossgarten. We chose the Steigenberger because it was directly across from the train station, and I had to manage 2 small kids, 2 large rolling suitcases, 1 carry-on sized roller, 2 backpacks, a and a double stroller, all between myself and my wife! Amazingly, it all fit pretty well in the Macan

Quick Reply: Euro Delivery Report - April 2016 - 17 Macan S