Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Epic European Delivery Adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2016, 04:07 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I arrive on the 1st. Depart on the 6th.

It would be great to see you there!
Old 07-31-2016, 01:51 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Received 418 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I arrive on the 1st. Depart on the 6th. It would be great to see you there!
I wish, but can't make it this time
Old 07-31-2016, 04:09 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Hope to meet at least one fellow Rennlister at the track this time around! I'm at the 'Ring thru Thursday, and doing the Porsche Sport Driving School on Wednesday & Thursday. Friday I'll be running at Spa.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:49 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

I did my best driving in the hospitality suite today. It's bucketing down!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 703
Size:  2.08 MB
Old 08-03-2016, 09:58 AM
Kobalt
Race Car

Expensive cofee

I noticed that there was a dry spot this morning:

Old 08-04-2016, 12:45 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

I asked for an "experienced" instructor. Look who they gave me!

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 663
Size:  1.21 MB

Not many chances to better my previous best lap time here over these two days. It rained all day yesterday, and we incurred 2 track closures due to crashes. Today started wet, then got dry just as we began free driving. But a crash and a breakdown closed the track, and then it began to rain again. I only pipped my PB by 1 second. I blame my instructor!
Old 08-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Kobalt
Race Car

Must have been a great day for Timo meeting 24Chromium!
Old 08-04-2016, 03:16 PM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Met Timo when he was "on loan" to Audi at Imola. Asked him what car should I buy; the Audi R8 or the GT3. He said get the GT3!! Way better car!!! Seems like a real cool guy.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:12 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Sorry for this being out of order, but I'll present my diary entries:

Sunday, 31 July
I'd been watching the weather in Nürburg over the past few days, and the forecast showed cool temperatures and rain.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:17 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Monday, 1 August

Just minutes prior to the scheduled departure of my InterCityExpress train to Stuttgart, I heard an announcement (only in German), and suddenly the crowded platform marched up the stairs. Leaving me bewildered and alone. I decided to follow, and ask someone what had just happened. As it turned out, they changed our train to another platform, and it was a mad rush to find it - up and down elevators, and numerous hallways and turns.

Thankfully, I got on the right train. However, it was running on a slow speed local track, so I arrived in Stuttgart nearly an hour behind schedule. My pal was waiting for me in the lobby of the Steigenburger Graf Zeppelin across the street. We decided to have lunch at the hotel before making the 3-4 hour drive to Nürburg. I had hoped I would arrive in time to be able to pick up my car and get in some laps during that evenings touristenfarhten.

I managed to reach the shop by phone during the drive, and was pleasantly surprised that they were sympathetic to my desire to get some laps in, despite my late arrival. They arranged it so I was able to pick up my car , even though the shop had closed.

It was a beautiful summer evening, and the car parks were surprisingly full for a Monday. I parked and walked to the ticket office to refill my lap card. I decided to walk down towards the Devil's Diner to take in the scene before heading out. It was then I noticed that the track had already closed. I wandered around and found Theo & Heidi as well as Dale. We chatted for some time, and I decided that it was getting too dark at this point. I didn't have my glasses (my pal had all my luggage in his hire car). I abandoned my plans. While chatting to a fellow GT3 owner in the hotel garage, I found out the track never reopened.

My pal and I dined at 27 in Adenau. Outstanding, as always.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 08-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:27 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Tuesday, 2 August
Awoke to the sound of rain. Yesterday I learned that today was a track day on the 'Ring. I had attempted to register, but it was only possible via e-mail. I decided I was likely to not get a response in time, so I did not follow through. I'm glad I didn't, as it rained all day.

Name:  IMG_7157.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  1.14 MB

Rain all day here at the Nürburgring

Last edited by 24Chromium; 08-08-2016 at 01:06 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:28 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Wednesday, 3 August
Still raining. The PSDS began with a quick theory briefing in the hotel conference center. Then it was off to the track.

For this event, Porsche erected a huge tented hospitality suite. Much nicer than cramming into the Devil's Diner.

We set off in the usual guided driving. The lead instructor in front, 8 students behind, and another instructor at the back of our train. The rain was heavy at times, making an already tretcherous circuit all the more difficult due to the poor visibility from the rain and spray from the cars ahead. Even the instructor (all with racing experience at the Nordschleife) said a race in these conditions would most likely be red flagged.

We were encouraged to test the grip at various spots by being more aggressive with our inputs. That led to a lot of wiggles and scary moments! The transition from grip to zero grip was sudden and rarely expected. It's funny how a 13 minute lap could be considered scary (or even dangerous), but it was.

We continued with guided driving all day. I decided I'd had enough in the afternoon, so I opted to ride as passenger in the lead instructor car the remainder of the afternoon.

We had a group dinner that evening at the hotel. Great food and even better conversation. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. Dreaming of glorious sunshine bathing the green hell.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:31 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Thursday, 4 August
The weather forecast looked promising. We were expecting a dry afternoon. We again started with guided driving, but this time splitting the group in two. It wasn't raining, but it was cool and cloudy, so it took all morning for the track to dry. The worst conditions to drive in. I drove for the first half of the morning, then again opted to ride for a few laps with our other instructor. The track continued to dry, and the speed increased with each lap. I was really happy I'd taken the time to ride with my instructors, as I got to see a few areas on the track where they drove different lines than I had. We got to chat about the pros and cons of each and I picked up some good tips.

I have to say, as an instructor myself, I have immense respect for these guys. Imagine having to drive the Nordschleife with one hand. The other is holding a radio. All the while talking, describing braking, turn-in, apex and track-out. And even more amazing, watching the cars behind and commenting on their driving. I'm in awe!

Finally we were set loose for free driving (no instructor to follow). I eagerly set out, hoping for some clean laps. Conditions were nearly ideal, and I was putting my new track knowledge to good use.

On my second lap I posted a personal best time (only beating the prior best by 1 second). The next lap I encountered a red flag. After a short break, that was cleared and I was off again. Only to meet another red flag, this one being a serious looking accident climbing up towards Hohe Acht. This time, the closure lasted a while and during this time it started to rain. As the school was ending earlier than normal, I decided to rest on my laurels and depart with my pride and more importantly my car intact.

I made the drive to Spa-Francorchamps in great time. On the previous trip I failed to notice the unlimited speed sign, so I had fun pushing the car up to 260 kph.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:32 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Friday, 5 August
Today is a track day at Spa. However, only the night before I realize that I have no e-mail confirmation nor itinerary. I arrived early and found the paddock empty save a couple of folks in the old endurance paddock area. The prior event I attend was run out of the new GP paddock. However, that was completely devoid of humans.

I decided to wander around the old endurance paddock area. I met another gent who was also looking lost, but between the two of us we managed to find the registration office.

After attending the drivers meeting I ask RSR for my car numbers and stickers. They tell me I have no booking, so we walk over to the track day organizers to try and get me sorted. As it happens, RSR merely buys X number of entries from the host organization. However the host says they are sold out and it's looking like I came to Spa only to be denied.

Unlike my previous visit, this time half the field isn't made up of race cars. Today there is a smattering of everything: the street cars ranged from Ferrari 430s & 458s, Porsche Caymans, GT4s, GT3s & RSs, and a handful of econoboxes, etc. The race cars ran the gamut from the top-of-the line tin-top Radical, Ferrari 458 GT3, Porsche Cup cars, BMW saloons down to those funky VW bugs. The event organizers are from the UK, so the drivers are mainly Brits, but the Dutch are well represented.

At 11 AM I'm finally told the ugly truth. They did charge me for the day. However, they failed to record it in their books. They asked one of their other guests if they would pare down their car requirements, but got a firm no. I was promised a prompt refund, but I walked away with a very bad taste in my mouth.

I decide to press on to Stuttgart, so I return to the hotel to gather my luggage and check-out. I stop at the petrol mini-mart next door for a bottle of water for the long drive. The sun suddenly bursts through the thick clouds, as if to rub salt in my wounds.

As soon as I cross back into Germany, I hit the first of many unrestricted sections. I managed to hit 270 km/h at least 3 times. It's inconceivable that they let me do this, all the while navigating blind sweepers and crests, uphills, downhills and bridges.

I stopped for petrol just outside the city. They had an auto car wash as well as self-service bays, so I took the opportunity to wash the car of all the bugs and grime.

Traffic around Stuttgart on a Friday at 4 PM was as you might imagine. And just as I got to within a few kilometers of the hotel, the skies opened and it started bucketing down. So hard I could barely see. I decided to pull over to wait for the rain to let up.

I stayed at the Le Meridien hotel. It's walking distance to the train station, and therefore the Porsche ED hotels. As the rain had subsided just as quickly as it began, I decided to walk into town.

Standing on the pedestrian bridge in front of the hotel, I do a quick count of the construction cranes in view. It's 14. Stuttgart is being remade right before my eyes.

As I'm eating dinner I suddenly hear and see the rain. Again it's bucketing down. By the time I finish and start to walk back through town to the hotel, the sun comes out to paint a gorgeous sunset for all those out enjoying the summer evening.

Name:  IMG_7233.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  1.48 MB

This is as close as I got to the race track today...

Name:  IMG_7251.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  1.34 MB

A glorious sunset in Stuttgart

Name:  IMG_7259.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  1.38 MB

The city is undergoing a major transformation

Last edited by 24Chromium; 08-08-2016 at 12:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:47 PM
laranja
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What a disappointing screw up. On top of the rain...

Sounds like you are taking it in stride.

Thanks for the diary / write up.

Quick Reply: Epic European Delivery Adventure!