Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Luggage & European delivery

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2017, 01:55 AM
motobell
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Luggage & European delivery

ok first me and wife have done 3 weeks on a motorcycle in Europe, but this delivery pickup in Leipzig next month, we have a challenge.

Here is my itinerary:

Week Prior to Delivery:
- Business trip in Dubai, Qatar, South Africa - w suit etc

Week of Delivery
- Wife joins me in Germany and we are on vacation

Week After Delivery
- 1/2 week of work in Switzerland and drive back to Germany to travel back to San Francisco

Criteria:
- No visible luggage in car on rear parcel shelf or rear seat as we will park it all over Germany and Switzerland
- no rook racks or storage

Options:
1. buy fitted luggage (http://www.roadtripluggage.com/porsc...bags-991-2012/) not sure if fit is identical in 991.2 to 991. Also not the most convenient to be traveling as business case the week prior in Middle East & south Africa

2. Do carry-on - just one suit for whole trip

3. Do check in suit case, swap to fitted luggage in Germany and ship suit case from Leipzig to Frankfurt or back to US

any thoughts on fitted luggage from anyone?
Old 03-31-2017, 05:29 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by motobell
ok first me and wife have done 3 weeks on a motorcycle in Europe, but this delivery pickup in Leipzig next month, we have a challenge.

Here is my itinerary:

Week Prior to Delivery:
- Business trip in Dubai, Qatar, South Africa - w suit etc

Week of Delivery
- Wife joins me in Germany and we are on vacation

Week After Delivery
- 1/2 week of work in Switzerland and drive back to Germany to travel back to San Francisco

Criteria:
- No visible luggage in car on rear parcel shelf or rear seat as we will park it all over Germany and Switzerland
- no rook racks or storage

Options:
1. buy fitted luggage (http://www.roadtripluggage.com/porsc...bags-991-2012/) not sure if fit is identical in 991.2 to 991. Also not the most convenient to be traveling as business case the week prior in Middle East & south Africa

2. Do carry-on - just one suit for whole trip

3. Do check in suit case, swap to fitted luggage in Germany and ship suit case from Leipzig to Frankfurt or back to US

any thoughts on fitted luggage from anyone?

Best fitted luggage for our cars is soft bags.

If it was me, I would take what you need. I am certain that Porsche will store luggage at Leipzig for you so that you don't have to take it with you on your ED trip.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:33 AM
aigle836
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Book the same hotel at the beginning and at the end of ED. Leave your large suitcases in storage at the hotel and bring only what you need in soft bags during ED. This is what I did last year for 5 weeks. I even removed things I did not need in the car like the fire extinguisher.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:08 AM
motobell
Intermediate

I am locking up in Leipzig and dropping off in Frankfurt...need to bring work clothes for a week before and done have flexibility on trip.

My wife will arrive in Germany and can bring extra clothes..

So question?
- how many carry on luggage can the front trunk hold?
- can I manage two carry ons, one duffel and a work laptop bag?
Old 04-02-2017, 10:26 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by motobell
I am locking up in Leipzig and dropping off in Frankfurt...need to bring work clothes for a week before and done have flexibility on trip.

My wife will arrive in Germany and can bring extra clothes..

So question?
- how many carry on luggage can the front trunk hold?
- can I manage two carry ons, one duffel and a work laptop bag?
I recommend you go to your local dealer and ask to fit luggage into the frunk of one of their 911s. I did this preparing for my 981 European delivery. I took about 12 bags stuffed with pillows and then got the right combination. Here is that post in a another forum 4 years ago.

"One of our fears after we land in Stuttgart to pick up our 981 is that our luggage would not fit in the car....and then what?

So we picked out 12 soft luggage bags and stuffed them with pillows and drove to our Porsche dealer, borrowed a 981 and started going through the luggage combinations that would fit best.

The car holds a surprising amount of luggage. Thanks to my SA and Porsche of the Main Lineicon for the use of a 981!

P.S. These are pictures of my wife's luggage. Mine is in the glove box.....lol"
Old 04-02-2017, 03:04 PM
motobell
Intermediate

I plan to go the dealership in few hours to check it out
Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 619 Likes on 407 Posts

I'd suggest the large Rimowa that Porsche sells, that perfectly fits the frunk, along with an assortment of soft sided luggage. Are you getting a 911? One point to note, the frunk sizes are slightly narrower for 4/4s as compared to 2/2s 911s.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:54 AM
motobell
Intermediate

Ok this works..
Attached Images   
Old 04-09-2017, 01:07 PM
Type 2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Airport Temporary Storage of Luggage or Clothes

Motobell:

Almost all European airports have a Temporary Luggage Storage facility within the main concourse. For example, Frankfurt has three Service Points at which you can, for a cost, store a suitcase or clothing for a day, a week, or a month. That storage is not cheap, 2 Euros a day for a suit (they will wrap it), up to 12 Euros a day for a large luggage bag. We used such a storage in Munich for five days several years ago.

Just Google Frankfurt Airport (or insert airport) Luggage Storage, or baggage storage. The costs are given for various items and types of luggage. I have included part of the write up for Frankfort's Baggage Storage or "Gepackaufbewahrung" from the Frankfurt Airport web site:

"Temporary storage of luggage

Our Luggage Storage takes care of your luggage so you can look around at Frankfurt Airport without any additional load .

You can leave your luggage, coat, or documents at any of three locations, either during a layover or for longer periods of up to three months.

Luggage Storage is available for you at the following locations:

Terminal 1
Concourse B, Level 1 (Arrivals)
Open daily 24 hours
Phone: +49 (0)69 - 690 70786

Between the B and C Concourses on Level 2 (Departures)
Open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Phone: +49 (0)69 - 690 73277

Terminal 2
Concourse D, Level 2 (Arrivals)
Open daily from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
Phone: +49 (0)69 - 690 72860

Don't forget!
Make sure to pick up your things in time. Items not retrieved within three months are auctioned off.

All prices include 19% value-added tax.

Prices for Left Luggage ... [Deleted in this message]"

It is a great service if you want to go light on part of your trip.

Travel Safe, Type 2

Last edited by Type 2; 04-09-2017 at 07:08 PM. Reason: MSP
Old 04-10-2017, 02:39 AM
motobell
Intermediate

thanks Type 2 for the detailed instructions. I am sure someone will find it useful

unfortunately I arrive in Berlin by air and fly our of frankfurt after two weeks. i think we will do it minimal style like we do on our motorcycle trips in europe

Quick Reply: Luggage & European delivery