Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

trip to stuttgart

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 01:33 PM
basil2000
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default trip to stuttgart

heading to stuttgart in june to visit my brother in law who is working there for the next year. planning to do museum and plant tour. anyone have advise for going to Nurburgring? i would love to take a trip up and drive it. any recommendations for rental companies. is it possible to rent a car from stuttgart to drive up to Nurburgring, drive the ring and then drive back? or would i have to rent a special car there to drive the ring. may be only chance i have to drive the ring. thanks
Old 03-04-2017, 02:02 PM
fastcars914
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as my knowledge goes, the Ring is a public highway during the week, so technically you should be able to rent a car in Stuttgart, drive the Ring, and drive back. During the weekend however, I think they close it off to just racing; but I'm not positive. However, if you really want to experience the Ring, I would go up there, rent a track car and drive it.
Old 03-04-2017, 05:16 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Rental car companies may bury in the fine print that you're not covered or allowed to drive their car on the 'Ring. Do a Google search. I came up with this in 5 minutes.

http://www.heiser.net/documents/nurburgring/#car
Old 03-04-2017, 05:47 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

When you are going to the ring, ren4ring has the best package deal regarding insuranse and cars.

Dont rent a expensive GT3, rent a swift, it will give you the most fun.

DO NOT drive yout rental at the ring.

Im there once or twice a year

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Best regards, Erik.
Old 03-04-2017, 11:43 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,142 Likes on 982 Posts

You can take a bus on the Ring. You will be fine with your rental car.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:43 AM
basil2000
Advanced

Thanks for the replies. Fred, thanks for the link. Great info there. I'm going to rent a car from one of the companies like Eric suggested. Never thought I would have this opportunity. Starting to get pumped about this.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:39 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by basil2000
Thanks for the replies. Fred, thanks for the link. Great info there. I'm going to rent a car from one of the companies like Eric suggested. Never thought I would have this opportunity. Starting to get pumped about this.
In 1993 I took Euro Delivery on my first 911. Picked the car up on a Monday and began a three day school at the 'Ring with the company Scuderia Hanseat on Thursday. There were 400 car/drivers in the school. This was my first ever track event and first experience in the rear engined 911. Needless to say there a few times when my pucker factor exceeded 1.00.

Have great trip, but be careful. There are a lot of blind crests that all look somewhat alike, but have different track layouts when you clear the crest.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:39 PM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

Where are you going to stay, i recomend Am tiergarten, famous stone steak an a lot of racing history inside.

http://www.am-tiergarten.de/en/resta...g_pistenklause
Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, what dates do you plan to go to the nurbugring? I believe the first full day they are open is March 26th. Which is the day I plan to go when I have my car on ED.
Old 03-07-2017, 01:25 PM
basil2000
Advanced

i am going to be in Stuttgart june 20-30. I'm real excited to go. I'm fired up with the announcement of the new gt3 as well.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:20 AM
Andrea Gargiulo
4th Gear

heading to stuttgart in june to visit my brother in law who is working there for the next year. planning to do museum and plant tour. anyone have advise for going to Nurburgring? i would love to take a trip up and drive it. any recommendations for rental companies. is it possible to rent a car from stuttgart to drive up to Nurburgring, drive the ring and then drive back? or would i have to rent a special car there to drive the ring. may be only chance i have to drive the ring. thanks

Hi,
if your idea and hire a car I can offer you one of mine. I have a luxury car rental company in Florence and Milan. I can deliver cars wherever you want.
if your idea and turn in the circuit must contact RENT4RING. they are specialized in this.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:06 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree with the above. Just rent the slowest/cheapest Ring rental you can. It takes many laps to even remember where you are on the Ring let alone be driving a slow car to its potential there.

I rented a Fiesta ST for a full track day and it was brilliant. I had only begun to tap into its potential on the Ring at the end of the day and that was not my first trip there.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:09 PM
basil2000
Advanced

booking "first timer experience" with RSRnurburg for june26th. going to drive bmw m235i. thinking of renting 911 from museum june25-27. how is the drive from stuttgart to nurburg? tad expensive but thinking it would be fun experience.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:56 PM
LOUISSSSS
Intermediate

booking "first timer experience" with RSRnurburg for june26th. going to drive bmw m235i. thinking of renting 911 from museum june25-27. how is the drive from stuttgart to nurburg? tad expensive but thinking it would be fun experience.
google says its about 3:45. and i find that to very accurate since google takes into account the no speed limit there. the drive will be amazing if you're coming from the USA. you'll enjoy every minute of the highways in germany.

I just got back from the nurburgring with my Macan. i arrived, parked my car, checked out the scene, then the sound of the engines and tires got my adreneline pumping and i had to do my laps. i pre loaded the card with 2 laps at the ticket office and got in my car and took off and did them consecutively. i suggest you read up on the rules of the road on the track in terms of signalling, moving over to the right, and learn where the tricky turns are. you don't want to end up famous on youtube.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:59 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Road works are a nightmare in Germany right now. Just returned from a trip to Ring, Stuttgart and Zell Austria, many days we drove 250 miles at an average speed of 40 mph on Autobhans. The Autobahn north from Stuttgart via Heilborne and further is really bad. Moral of my story don't be cutting it fine for time.

Quick Reply: trip to stuttgart