Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Pick-up only in Leipzig available

Old 10-14-2016, 03:33 PM
icecanadian
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pick-up only in Leipzig available

All this talk about construction in Stuggart/Zuffenhausen, and I think it has finally resulted in no more European Delivery pick-ups at this location.

I was on the Porsche Canada site playing with my 911 build and the only option for ED was Leipzig. Now while Leipzig has the instructional driving experience tacked on with your ED, I am disappointed since the major factor in doing ED is to see how your car was made. I understand 911s are made in Stuggart and not Leipzig. Also, Leipzig being several hours north puts a wrench in my travel plans which was targeted for Switzerland.

Anyone can confirm there will no longer be anymore ED pick-up in Zuffenhausen for 911s? Also, does that mean Porsche has to transport all new 911s north to Leipzig? I'm sure customers are indirectly paying for that additional transportation.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:58 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts

I am planning a 911 delivery in June. My dealer's zone rep told us that Zuffenhausen is closed for pickups or drop-offs until at least summer 2017. It seems they are building a plant to manufacture the Mission-e model. I was last in Leipzig in 1990 shortly after the border to the east zone opened. I was NOT impressed. Here's hoping a lot of progress and development has occurred there since then.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:05 PM
rick8928
6th Gear

I recently dropped off my Cayman at Leipzig. I thought the site was really nice, excellent museum on the 4th floor, good looking track from my admittedly poor vantage point in the 1st floor lounge. The old center of Leipzig is quite interesting, and it's a great autobahn drive over to the Nurburgring and then on to Koblenz (that's a one day drive right there). The next day, you can experience a wonderful drive along the river road to Wiesbaden, and then head down to the Swiss Alps into Italy (this too is a one day drive). That being said, I just did a Cayman pickup at Zuffenhausen on Sept 19th, and did the factory tour to see both 911s and Caymans (new to Zuffenhausen just this year after the August shutdown) being constructed. My advance literature indicated no more returns to the factory there due to construction (but free returns allowed to a nearby suburb site), but no restrictions on pickups. I'd verify that there's no current pickups allowed at Zuffenhausen, because they have a whole infrastructure there dedicated to the factory pickup process (lounge, showroom, factory tour staff, "VIP" restaurant......).
Old 10-15-2016, 01:23 PM
BealeAss
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 96 Posts

Honestly after going to both locations this past summer for ED on my GT4 I can say that Leipzig is the better option. You get track time, the delivery room is far nicer, and the facility/people are phenomenal. Plus its a way nicer little city than you'd ever expect.
Old 10-15-2016, 02:25 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Slight tangential point here....Totally get the desire to do a factory-collect, particularly if you're 'the other side of the Pond', but for us 'Europeans' (though, as a Brit, maybe post-Brexit I'm now a NON-European ;-)) doing a factory pick-up is less attractive since we actually drive the car home and then have to frig around changing to permanent plates once we're on home turf. My two comments are: (1) are you guys being offered a tour around the production line as part of your pick-up and (2) why not consider the 'High Black Forest Road' (Hochschwarzvaldsrtasse...I think...) which runs more or less from Schiltach (BBS factory) through to Baden-Baden. If you want the classic pic of a 911 scything through a Bavarian (ok, it's actually Baden-Wurttemburg...) forest then that's the road. As for question '1', I'm a little confused since I've a build-slot on the 09.12.16 but have been told there's "no chance" of seeing how the cars are built....
Old 10-15-2016, 03:23 PM
rick8928
6th Gear

My wife and I received the factory tour in Zuffenhausen among a group of about a dozen folks from various countries. Standard as part of the European delivery program for Americans, as evidenced by the ED booklet.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:06 PM
ChromeBumper
Cruisin'

I picked up in Leipzig recently and would do it again. Regardless of where you pick up the car, with a little planning and luck it's possible to get most of the delivery perks of both locations independently, even separate from the delivery experience. The track driving that I did in Leipzig looks a lot like the "Porsche Leipzig Pilot" program that is listed as being available for 300 Euros and includes a factory tour. I think that there's something similar in Atlanta.

https://www.porsche-leipzig.com/en/o...leipzig-pilot/

The Stuttgart-Zuffenhausen plant appears to offer factory tours:
http://www.porsche.com/museum/en/

I was unable to do the Stuttgart factory tour on my trip, public tours were closed due to construction during that time and while the ED folks tried to get me in with an ED tour (my car was built there) they weren't able to make it work.

I'm planning to try again to see the factory and museums during a planned trip next summer and may even do the track thing after I've had some time in the seat of my own new car. My European delivery track experience was my first time on any track. That, combined with the unfamiliarity of the vehicle, made it an exciting, shock-and-awe experience. I'd like to do it again and maybe learn something this time.
Old 10-15-2016, 04:12 PM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

Thanks for this. I'll try to push my dealer a little harder to get a factory visit sorted. Would be great to see 'my' car actually move down the production line, although that might be pushing luck a little too far. It's in a PTS, so that might be more difficult but, on this evidence, I'll definitely keep plugging my dealer to get a factory visit arranged.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:48 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,138 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by BertoneBertoni
Thanks for this. I'll try to push my dealer a little harder to get a factory visit sorted. Would be great to see 'my' car actually move down the production line, although that might be pushing luck a little too far. It's in a PTS, so that might be more difficult but, on this evidence, I'll definitely keep plugging my dealer to get a factory visit arranged.

You will never actually see YOUR car built. No program offers that. You can see other cars built.....but that is it.
Old 10-16-2016, 08:33 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,952 Likes on 555 Posts

I recently had a meeting in Stuttgart while on Euro Delivery for my M5.

LOTS of construction, the whole plant/museum area is a mess right now.

I'm doing ED Nov 7th at Leipzig.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:52 AM
Anders
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doing a factory pick-up is less attractive since we actually drive the car home and then have to frig around changing to permanent plates once we're on home turf.
The plate issue seems to be country dependant. I had the real plates with me and they were mounted as part of the delivery. No need for anything when I got home.

Personally I loved factory delivery and can't wait to do it again sometime.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:52 AM
BertoneBertoni
Instructor

I guess it becomes an unnecessary, logistical nightmare to have an owner see 'in person' his/her car actually built on a production line. I get the 'health & safety' aspect of it but how many owners would pay to have a Porsche employee video his/her car being built - particularly if it were a combo of PTS and/or a GT-series ? I know I would. But then I guess I'm in the minority of liking the 'back-story' of cars as they move through time and between owners.....
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I guess it becomes an unnecessary, logistical nightmare to have an owner see 'in person' his/her car actually built on a production line. I get the 'health & safety' aspect of it but how many owners would pay to have a Porsche employee video his/her car being built - particularly if it were a combo of PTS and/or a GT-series ? I know I would. But then I guess I'm in the minority of liking the 'back-story' of cars as they move through time and between owners.....
I'm sure for some amount of money it could happen.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:01 AM
fq
Instructor

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I'm doing ED Nov 7th at Leipzig.
I am picking my Turbo S on Nov. 10th in Leipzig. I had a November 26th pickup in Stuttgart/Zuffenhausen taht I had to change due to work. They said no Zuffenhausen pickups after the 30th and offered Leipzig on the 10, which I decided to take.

CJ, are you going to drop the car back in Leipzig or somewhere else?
Old 11-04-2016, 04:06 PM
Accel Junky
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Zuffenhausen is closed for deliveries until Summer 2017 while they relocate the delivery hall to another building due to Mission E construction. You can still drive to Zuffenhausen and see the museum and possibly schedule a factory tour even if you pick up in Leipzig during this time.

The Leipzig facility is wonderful and the track driving is a great perk.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pick-up only in Leipzig available