Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

European in-car nav/maps

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 12:19 PM
docfink
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default European in-car nav/maps

Hey--
Has anyone used their navigation system with the installed European maps while driving their US car in Europe? I'm talking about cars with previous PCMs, not the '17 with Apple car play. I asked to have the European maps installed in my GT4 as it should be better than the Tom-toms provided. Would love to know anyone's experiences with it.

Thanks--
Old 06-21-2016, 02:12 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by docfink
Hey--
Has anyone used their navigation system with the installed European maps while driving their US car in Europe? I'm talking about cars with previous PCMs, not the '17 with Apple car play. I asked to have the European maps installed in my GT4 as it should be better than the Tom-toms provided. Would love to know anyone's experiences with it.

Thanks--

Yes. The Nav system works exactly like it does in the US. No difference at all.

Old 06-21-2016, 05:05 PM
pefman
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am currently at the end of a 3 week trip in our new GT4 all over Europe - Germany, Holland, France, Italy, Switzerland. They apparently did not have the TomToms available for us, so they loaded our US spec car with Euro maps. It has worked great. The only problem I have had is that the system sometimes wants to route you through the shortest route and that route turns out to be a tiny road where two cars can not pass without pulling partly off the road -- and that is something you don't want to do in a GT4! So I have learned to be very careful about where it is taking me in small towns or rural areas. By the way, it also has real time road condition updates and routes you around any closed roads/bridges, etc. Very nice.
Old 06-21-2016, 05:15 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I had expected to use my iPhone for driving directions, but the navi system in the car is so good, I have used it exclusively for the entirety of my trip here (one month). Having the directions screen up on the dash is a huge plus on unfamiliar roads.

Quick Reply: European in-car nav/maps