Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Okay my turn!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 05:00 AM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6,000 kilometers equals...

3,728 miles. Or 186 miles for each day that I am here. I do have some 400+ mile days in there, too.
Exceeded my 'allowed' mileage yesterday by 19%...but I aim not going to spend my trip running numbers.
Had it up to about 115 on A8 yesterday. My wife asked me what the speed limit was, and didn't believe me when I told here that there isn't any.
Old 06-14-2016, 06:54 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Enjoy your trip otisdog! I will be at Le Mans as well - but in an econo-box!!
Old 06-14-2016, 03:58 PM
otisdog
Pro

Originally Posted by brake dust
Enjoy your trip otisdog!
I am... but tomorrow I should finally be re-oriented from jet lag. It's pretty funny, my wife calling out the speed limits in KPH (they change so damn fast!) like a rally co-driver. Without her, I'd have more than 1 ticket...photocam, 61 in a 50...
Also scraped a bit of vertical rubber off of the front spoiler backing out of a dead end near Lauterbrunnen...she was pissed!
Did the Grimsel / Susten / Furka Passes today, lucked out on weather. On the Furka, they've got a info post were James Bond sat in his AM and watched the yellow mustang in Goldfinger.
Old 06-15-2016, 09:26 PM
schmidder
4th Gear

Default Post a freaking picture dude!!!

text, text and more text, lets see some pictures, you brought your phone right??? I signed up on this forum today, just cause you won't email or text, so lets see the goods...It's the jealousy talking Mikey!
Old 06-17-2016, 04:25 PM
otisdog
Pro

Just arrived in Le Mans...spent last night in a great estate house outside of Auxerre. Tom Tom sent us to another "Saint Calais" and added about 80 miles to our trip. Met my brother and nephew at the track....many taking pictures of the car.
Lots of rain....
So much to do, not much time to post pics...
Old 06-17-2016, 06:24 PM
schmidder
4th Gear

Enjoy the Kronenbourg...hoping you can find something a bit better. Make sure to hit Legends Cafe near the square (circle really)..tell the Mrs. hello and keep her dry. Say hello to your bro too.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Envious you got to take new car to LM. I was there 2 years ago. If I had my druthers I think I would have left my car w/ family, gone back for LM, then dropped off.

Are you seeing huge gaggles of 911s? In 2014 w/ return of Porsche I saw over a hundred once; lots of Porsche-philes celebrating the return. Bonkers in a good way

Exciting race; but the rain was heavy to begin w/. It was really hot in 2014.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:22 AM
otisdog
Pro

Well, I took the car to Le Mans, but then I parked it and rode bikes around...didn't want to be stuck in the traffic jams. Traffic wasn't as bad as feared, the worst was headed south on the western side of the track on Friday. Was pretty cool to drive the Mulsanne and stop at Hunnadierres for a beer, though. The new Indy / Arnage viewing area is great, I think it is the best spot on the track now.
Actually not too many 911s. Lots of Porsche SUVs, though. Saw one other GT4...blue, ceramics, from England in the Maison Blanc campground.
Currently rocking back and forth on the ferry from Cherbourg to Rosslare, Ireland. Load in went great, just as the folks on this forum had advised.
Before we got to Cherbourg we went to Omaha Beach and Pointe du Hoc. Driving, cold rain lent a chill atmosphere to a very solemn place.
Now to relearn driving on the opposite side of the road...
Old 06-23-2016, 05:04 AM
otisdog
Pro

Smooth sail across the Celtic Sea. Very relaxing night on the ferry...not much to do, you have to relax on the 18 hour sail.
Pretty obvious not many Euro delivery folks make it to Ireland, customs didn't know what to make of the German export plate - they stopped us three times before we made it out of the secured area, creating a decent backup behind us. Damn Americans!
Last night in Dingle the town came unglued when Ireland beat Italy in the last 6 minutes of their Euro16 soccer game to advance...the servers at breakfast this morning all looked like they closed the pubs @ 3 a.m..
Off to Kilkenny today through Killarney National Park to position ourselves for an early ferry departure on Friday to Wales.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:02 AM
trebien
Racer

Originally Posted by otisdog
Off to Kilkenny today through Killarney National Park to position ourselves for an early ferry departure on Friday to Wales.
I went up to Scotland, Isle of Skye and the Highlands (Road to Applecross) were amazing if you get a chance.

Originally Posted by otisdog
Had it up to about 115 on A8 yesterday. My wife asked me what the speed limit was, and didn't believe me when I told here that there isn't any.
Ha, may as well right? The day after pickup, my buddy looks up from his phone and goes "Um, how fast are we going?"... the answer was ~120 mph.

And I may have spread the wings a little bit on my way back to turn it in to Leipzig.

Old 06-25-2016, 03:08 AM
otisdog
Pro

Off to the Goodwood Festival of Speed today....we're 10 miles away in a small Hampshire village, and it's supposed to take an hour and a half to get there. Parking lot is a bog due to a massive downpour Thursday .
Had some clearance issues on the ferry to England yesterday....made it all the way in, but when I got to the front of the boat, they decided I was too low to make it out. They stopped the other cars from loading, had me make a U turn and drive back out, and loaded me into a side ramp. This ramp was a fourth the width of the center ramp, so I couldn't approach it diagonally...so I scraped big time. I wanted to go back and look for my brake air ducts, but they had had enough of me by then.
Absolutely great fish & chips yesterday!
Old 06-25-2016, 11:30 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by trebien
The day after pickup, my buddy looks up from his phone and goes "Um, how fast are we going?"... the answer was ~120 mph.

And I may have spread the wings a little bit on my way back to turn it in to Leipzig.

I was so bummed I wasn't able to cruise on any decent stretch of unrestricted Autobahn. The fastest I went was on the Döttinger Höhe straight at the 'Ring.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:26 PM
otisdog
Pro

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
I was so bummed I wasn't able to cruise on any decent stretch of unrestricted Autobahn. The fastest I went was on the Döttinger Höhe straight at the 'Ring.
Yup... My previous itinerary basically had our last days in France, then I realized my error and made the last four days in Germany... a little schnell time on the autobahn! Including a flyer from Spa to the Austrian border.
Goodwood was interesting...took 2.5 hours to go 4.5 miles on the way in....they've been doing this for how many years and they still can't figure out the ingress/egress issues? For a while the only time we made any progress on the way in is when someone in front of us got frustrated and bailed, which happened often. Thankfully the GT4 is a sweetheart to drive in traffic. This car is amazingly easy to drive.
It rained a lot, so the speeds up the hill where quite impacted, obviously. We didn't want to get caught in the cluster on the way out, so we only stayed about 3 hours before we left. Wanted to get the wife to her "proper" English tea and a nice "smart" pub dinner.
Lots of English in shock about the 'Brexit' vote.
Tomorrow, the Chunnel and the Ring!

Quick Reply: Okay my turn!