Notices
European Delivery and or Porsche Experience Center This forum to ask questions and get answers about collecting your Porsche in Europe or the outstanding Porsche Experience Center.

Epic European Delivery Adventure!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:36 AM
24Chromium
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

Germany is all about speed. Even the trains are fast!

Name:  FullSizeRender 5.jpg
Views: 2069
Size:  1,021.2 KB

ICE train from FRA to Stuttgart Hbf
Old 05-31-2016, 11:40 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
(This post is not in chronological order... but thought I should include it)

11 days till delivery. It finally becomes real when you write the check. Two checks in my case. One for the purchase of the car, the other for the VAT (value added tax) charged in Germany. The dealer is simply stapling the VAT check to my paperwork. It will be torn up once the car arrives at the dealership.

The first thing was to hand over my ED welcome binder. Porsche provides a very nice black leather zippered binder that contains all the details and other niceties for the trip. Mine consisted of:

Itinerary letter
2 Taxi vouchers
Postage paid return envelope for the “Hauptzollamt Ulm/ Hauptzollamt Dresden” letter
Brochure and 10% discount for the Porsche Sport Driving School
Hotel reservation confirmation
Letter detailing Hotel options and discount
Guided museum tour confirmation/receipt
Cayman Quick Start Guide for the car
Brochure for the Porsche Experience Center - Atlanta
Booklet for European Delivery
Booklet for Porsche Travel Club 2016
Lanyard with name tag
Business card for Jamie Dillon
Small ED 2016 sticker
Monroney label (window sticker)
List of drop-off locations
Note pad

Attachment 1056698

Attachment 1056699

Attachment 1056700

Attachment 1056701

Attachment 1056702

Despite no actual handover of a car, I still had to sit down in the finance manager's office and sign a bunch of forms. To my surprise, he told me we’d have to do it all over again once the car finally arrives at the dealership, as this is a European delivery car. I thought this was very strange, so I’ll report more once that day finally arrives. I can only assume it has to do with DMV paperwork. For example, on my initial forms, they just wrote '10' for mileage.
Lar, FWIW when my car got to the dealer, all I did was pick it up and take the key, no more paperwork.

Originally Posted by 24Chromium
Germany is all about speed. Even the trains are fast!

Attachment 1056704

ICE train from FRA to Stuttgart Hbf
Love the ridealong reporting Keep it coming!
Old 05-31-2016, 11:57 AM
otisdog
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha! Interesting, I'll also be in Wagon (car) 28 on the train to Zuffenhausen as I follow your steps in 12 days.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:10 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by otisdog
Ha! Interesting, I'll also be in Wagon (car) 28 on the train to Zuffenhausen as I follow your steps in 12 days.
The signage for the trains at FRA is not quite what I expected. I was looking for the ICE trains, but they only labeled them as LOCAL and LONG DISTANCE. I just assumed that I wanted long distance and it turned out to be the right choice.

I stood next to a woman from the USA while we were both trying to use the automated vending machines. She was as frustrated and confused as I was. I explained the acronym ICE and told her she needed the long distance trains, as she was trying to get to Heidelberg.

Last edited by 24Chromium; 06-01-2016 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:20 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

The FRA airport isn't particularly nice or new. I got thru immigration no problem. You no longer need to fill out a form. I made my way to the train station. The automated ticket machine was maddening. I couldn't specify Stuttgart, so I gave up and stood in a long queue of folks like me, seeking the sanctuary of actual humans in the ticket office.

The humidity here is high! I was just in Alabama prior to coming here. I might as well have been in California! But here? It's muggy! I'm riding on the ICE train to Stuttgart, looking out the window at the achingly beautiful countryside, all the while thinking I desperately need a shower.

Upon checking in at the Steigenberger, I'm told my room is not ready and I'm asked to wait in the lobby. While there, I took note of a German gentleman wearing a name tag. For some reason I thought he might be a Porsche employee by the name of Sven that I'd read about here on RL working in ED. Sure enough, he is chatting to a small group of men, explaining in English that they would see a lot of beautiful cars. Then I noticed one of them is wearing a 'Ring t-shirt. Sure enough, the group piles into a tour bus and heads off. I knew I should have worked up the courage to tag along!

I wandered around Stuttgart, as my room wasn’t ready and I’d already waited at least an hour in the lobby of the hotel. There is a big stretch of walking street (think 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica) named Königstraße filled with folks on a (mostly) sunny Tuesday afternoon in late May.

Name:  FullSizeRender 3.jpg
Views: 1741
Size:  861.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6310.jpg
Views: 1791
Size:  1.56 MB

I brought about $4300 in US currency. The wrap (PPF) vendor requires cash payment, hence the large amount. At FRA I exchanged $250 for euros. The exchange rate was pretty poor, so I decided to hold on to the rest. I asked at the hotel counter regarding currency exchange. They suggested I try first at the train station, as there is an exchange office in the main lobby. I explained that I had a substantial amount, and they were kind enough to suggest I negotiate the rate. Which I did! I got them to recalculate the rate three times.

I’m pretty spoiled in my travels for work. The hotels are 5 star, the amenities are first rate, and they always cater to the US travelers as far as electrical outlets. I figured at the very least the Steigenberger would have a US compatible plug in the bathroom for a shaver. No such luck. The hotel loaned me an adapter, but it was rather worn and couldn’t keep constant current. So, off to the electronics mart just down the street to pick up a new one.

When I return to the hotel lobby, I notice the same group from earlier and the gentleman with the name tag. I strike up a conversation with one of the members of the group and, sure enough, the gentleman I thought might be Sven is Sven and they are touring via the Porsche Travel Club. The group had just returned from the Porsche Museum. The gent I spoke with was from Toronto.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:38 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Enjoy! Hopefully the weather gets better.

More Ring stuff
Be careful!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:57 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

I'm loving the artwork in the gallery next door to the hotel...

Name:  IMG_6318.jpg
Views: 1724
Size:  1.46 MB

I might just be able to make these fit in the hatch of the GT4!
Old 05-31-2016, 03:43 PM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 336 Posts

Subscribed. Keep it coming.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:29 PM
trebien
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good stuff!

I'm in the UK right now, but likely be swinging by the 'Ring in a week or so... I may see you there if those dates are still in your schedule for the 5/6th or 9-11th...

I'm 5 weeks into this trip, and still don't want to give it back... my insurance expires the 12th.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:35 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

Originally Posted by trebien
Good stuff!

I'm in the UK right now, but likely be swinging by the 'Ring in a week or so... I may see you there if those dates are still in your schedule for the 5/6th or 9-11th...

I'm 5 weeks into this trip, and still don't want to give it back... my insurance expires the 12th.
LOL

I haven't even picked up my car yet, and I already sympathize with you.

Extend! Extend!! Extend!!!
Old 05-31-2016, 05:37 PM
24Chromium
Drifting

I was scoping out the hotel garage parking on my way in tonight. Loads of p-cars with LB plates. I assume those to be the touring group. I only saw one p-car with tourist plates - a red Macan.
Old 05-31-2016, 05:46 PM
Nur93
Burning Brakes

Received 155 Likes on 75 Posts

Steak on the stone @ restaurant pistenklause. Thats where to eat👍. Will for sure follow this thread, like them
ED:s. Drive safe on Nur, respect the track for what it is, but not to much. Its just a track👍
Old 05-31-2016, 06:06 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 235 Posts

Enjoying pics and stories. My wife and I truly had a magical Euro Delivery last summer - loved every part of it!

The 'Ring - it still beckons "come back, and try again". Next time, I will have it committed to memory in advance. Humbling!

Keep the pics coming!
Old 05-31-2016, 06:10 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

The Macan will be 6 months old the 16th of June :-)
Old 05-31-2016, 06:38 PM
MattUF
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Second the Pistenklause recommendation, the steak on a stone is good. I've stayed at the Tiergarten (very close to the 'ring and where the Pistenklause is located) and a hotel in Adenua called Blau Ecke. Blau Ecke had a restaurant/bar on the ground level that seemed to be very popular. Both should have lots of exotic machinery to look at in their respective parking lots.

Quick Reply: Epic European Delivery Adventure!