DIY - 991 DIY info for the 991

991 windshield washer fluid hose replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:49 PM
jorn_umpo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 windshield washer fluid hose replacement

The hose running from my windshield washer fluid tank/reservoir to the jets that clean the windshield broke the other day, snapping right near where the trunk lid lifts up and causing water to shoot out the left side of the car rather than through the sparyers mounted on the underside of the trunk lid.. It looked simple to fix, so I decided to give it a go and make a DIY guide as I couldn’t find one elsewhere online. Only took me about 30 minutes to do, including taking photos. Follow this advice at your own risk – I admit I have no expertise in this area.

Tools needed: none. You may want a taped up screw driver to assist with the routing of the new hose, but it’s not necessary.
Parts needed: new hose (part number 99162866705, ~$20)

1. Start by removing the plastic cover in the trunk area. This is really easy as you just pull gently on the handles. Note that on my car, the alarm horn was held on by a plastic peg attached to the cover, so when I removed the cover the alarm horn detached and I had to put it back at the end of this process.
2. Next, dislodge the plastic jets that actually squirt the washer fluid. These are located on the underside of the trunk lid and can be pulled out easily. Be gentle. Once you have them dislodged, unhook the existing broken fluid lines by unclipping the black plastic u-shaped clip on the connector. This process is the same for both the left and right jet.
3. Now you’ll need to remove the broken hoses from the car. With the jets disconnected, dislodge the rubber grommet near the left side of the trunk lid. This piece pulls out pretty easily – once the grommet is out, you can pull the hoses you just disconnected from the jets out relatively easily.
4. Pull the remainder of the broken hose out of the routing channel on the left side of the hood.
5. Now you are ready to run the replacement hose to the water jets. Feed the new part through the hole on the underside of the hood – because the hoses are so rigid, it was easy to push them through so that the white connectors ended up next to the jets. Snap the new hose on to the jets (note that you do not have to have the U-clip open to do this, you can just pop them into place) and then gently push the jets back into their original position – you should hear them click into place. A side note – the new hose may have a small white piece in each connector that falls out when you open the clip; this is fine, that piece is just there to protect the new hose during shipping and is not necessary.
6. Insert the rubber grommet portion of the tube into the hole near the top corner of the trunk, making sure the seal is snug all around. Run the hose from the grommet to the channel on the left side of the trunk lid and begin feeding it through so that it exits just before the windshield.
7. Now you’ll need to disconnect the old house from the fluid tank, which is near the left side of the car and uses the same type of connector as the windshield jets. You’ll then route the hose from the rubber grommet to the fluid tank. This was the most frustrating part of the install, as there’s not a lot of room to work with. I was patient though and eventually got it.
8. You may want to remove the weather stripping on the left side of the trunk compartment to give yourself a bit more room – this piece has plastic clips on the back and is easily removed.
9. Route the hose from the underside of the trunk lid down towards the fluid tank. Be gentle while doing this so that you don’t break the new hose.
10. Once you have the end of the new hose next to the tank, simply snap it into the connector (again, the u-shaped clip does not have to be up).
11. Check that the hose is not interfering with opening/closing the trunk and not getting crushed by any parts. If you removed the weather stripping on the left side of the car in step 8, replace that and ensure the seal is good.
12. Get in the car and test the wiper cleaning lever. I had to hit it twice before fluid got all the way to the right side jet. After you confirm that it works, open the trunk lid and ensure there’s no leaking from the jets. If it’s not working, you’ll want to check all 3 connection points and make sure the hoses are snapped in properly.
13. Replace the plastic cover – I had to line up the alarm horn to ensure it went back in place with the black peg on the underside of the cover. It really seems like there should be a bolt for this, but whatever.
14. Congratulate yourself for not paying the dealer an obscene amount of money for doing this simple task.
Attached Images          
Old 07-19-2016, 06:52 PM
jorn_umpo
Intermediate

Default more pics

picking up from above:
Attached Images          
The following 3 users liked this post by jorn_umpo:
FLfreedom (07-27-2023), fluguy (01-17-2022), Rustler (02-07-2023)
Old 09-17-2016, 08:55 PM
notdrooler
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome, thanks so much! My hose snapped yesterday right where the trunk lid opens. Replaced it according to your instructions, piece of cake! Only difference being that my '12 991 C2 has a plastic cover that guides the hose from the trunk lid channel out into the front compartment. This plastic clip snaps straight off and clips back on.
Old 09-29-2016, 06:19 PM
jorn_umpo
Intermediate

Originally Posted by notdrooler
Awesome, thanks so much! My hose snapped yesterday right where the trunk lid opens. Replaced it according to your instructions, piece of cake! Only difference being that my '12 991 C2 has a plastic cover that guides the hose from the trunk lid channel out into the front compartment. This plastic clip snaps straight off and clips back on.
Glad to help. At some point could you post a picture of the plastic cover you're talking about? My car is also a 2012.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:00 AM
Skorp
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would this work with a 981 Boxster? After only 2 years buying the car new, the trunk somehow broke this hose on mine. Really bad placement it seems (should have been more inward, not to the side.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:00 AM
Skorp
AutoX

Googling always brings me to this post, can't seem to find anything else. Thank you.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:51 PM
JSteve
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer just fixed mine. (I'm still covered by CPO warranty.) The tubing broke at the bend into the driver's side hood channel. All they did was connect the broken ends with a short section of clear tubing. They did not put the tubing back into the hood channel. I thought about putting it into the channel, but this routing reduces the tightness of the bend between the body and the hood, and it seems to work fine. I will keep an eye on it.

The mechanic also left a section of tubing in my trunk--so I will use that when the passenger side breaks.

Thanks for the detailed post--it was helpful.

2013 991.1
The following users liked this post:
fluguy (01-17-2022)
Old 01-12-2018, 08:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Does the headlight washer jet squirter whenever the windshield washer one does. I thought I read somewhere that it only squirter if the headlights are on, but I might be confusing that with the Cayenne.
Old 03-01-2018, 02:08 AM
Hunter McGaughey
1st Gear

Default I discovered the exact same thing today

Thank you so much I am going to order the part and do it myself as well. Mine broke same spot. Must be common. My jet shot out the side as well that is how I discovered this unexpected problem.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 PM
NoRoom4Error
AutoX

Much appreciated. Just replaced mine on my 14 4S.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:21 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 314 Posts

Just wanted to say thank you for the guide. Did this today in about 20 minutes!
Old 09-29-2019, 02:51 AM
zx5go
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just replaced mine today. Simple to do with these instructions.
Old 02-09-2020, 03:43 PM
mattw1093
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks for the guide - a few observations/additions

The instructions were great and very helpful, thanks.

Two things I observed/discovered
  1. Careful with the insulated lines. If you let them push too firmly against the metal edges on holes they will get cut/nicked. Take it slowly. Remove and try again if you encounter resistance. It’s possible the hose connector will get stuck inside (or go off in wrong direction inside the hood) and forcing the line may result in too much pressure near opening and risk damaging the insulation.
  2. Near hinge on car’s left side there is a piece of plastic that the line goes through. It’s a sort of cap that clips around the bottom of the corner of the hood (see photo). You can remove this to make it significantly easier to feed the line through the hinge area. Use a long, thin, screwdriver to push the internal side clip edge. Then pry off the side near you. When rebuilding at the end it pops on with ease.

View of right nozzle after detach

View of left model after detach

2015 look alike they started bolting alarm down

View of left hinge area - black cap top right of photo (you can see the old/severed line

Screwdriver used to reach in and pop opposite side of clip off

Hinge clip removed - you don’t have to try fish through this! Remove then clip on after

Wide view for context

Feeding line theough

Make sure line goes to rear/right of bolt on right
The following 2 users liked this post by mattw1093:
fluguy (01-17-2022), gearFX (02-10-2020)
Old 04-28-2020, 08:53 PM
epnfrn
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great instructions. Used them last year to replace mine. Unfortunately, just broke again! Within a year. Ridiculous. For those that had a rubber hose placed to transition that bend, what was the measurement? I can experiment, but it would be nice to not have to! Did it get inserted inside, or larger diameter placed outside?

thanks
Old 05-03-2020, 09:27 PM
bichito
Intermediate

Thanks for the post and part #! I have a 2016 991... this is the second time I had to replace the washer hose (1st time was still under warranty). Cost $20 and took 15 min.

Quick Reply: 991 windshield washer fluid hose replacement