Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weld broken mount on gearbox case?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 10:47 PM
jpkroger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weld broken mount on gearbox case?

2003 Porsche Boxster S
3.2 L
6 Speed Manual

The transmission mount on the gearbox case broke when the axle came off. I've been shopping for a used gearbox or complete transmission but was wondering if this could be welded?

See cracked mount.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:24 PM
rad1965
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy yes it can be done

I just encountered the same exact problem. axlel cv failed and wham busted the lug exactly like your pic. seems like this happens quite a bit when axel goes. I did some research and found a guy who had it welded and an additional support bracket made that bolted onto the trans housing. In the pic looks like a pretty good repair. I just spoke to my welding guy who is an expert in welding aluminum and other special metals. The trans case is not aluminum but magnesium. This makes it much more difficult to weld but can be done, although he said he will not attempt the weld while the trans is in the car . he said if i bring him the trans he will guarantee a proper repair for about 350 bucks. right now i am in the process of fabricating a mounting bracket in liu of welding the lug back on trans. i really don't want to pull it but i will if i have too. Any one out there have a good 6 speed trans for 600 bucks give me a shout Ray

Quick Reply: Weld broken mount on gearbox case?