Sponsored by:

Refinishing OEM Turbo Twist Porsche Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 04:56 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default Refinishing OEM Turbo Twist Porsche Wheels

A few weeks back I stumbled into a great deal on a set of Genuine NB Porsche Technology Wheels (Hollow Spoke), they had some scratches and curb rash but I decided to buy them anyway. I had thought about buying some paint / clear / reducer to do it out of my HVLP air gun but punted on that idea when materials alone came to $125. After considering sending them out for refurbishment I remembered that I had an unused can or Wurth Wheel Paint that I added to the cart a few years back to get free shipping from whoever it was. I looked through my workshop and sure enough found some leftover Duplicolor wheel paint (Silver and Clear) from one of the kid's cars. Already having most everything needed I figured what the heck, give it a whirl. Pics of materials used:

I then set the youngest son on them with Simple Green and stiff brushes after they soaked in hot water for 30 minutes. Please note this was done without the wifey's knowledge in the basement bathtub reserved for cleaning the dog and said youngest, thus the Axe.

The following users liked this post:
MountainGuy (06-01-2023)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:03 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

After they were thoroughly cleaned and any tar / adhesive removed I closely inspected the imperfections to see what required grinding / filling / sanding.

Then I used Spot / Glazing putty to filled the needed areas:

Old 02-04-2015, 05:12 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

I then worked the filler down with a 3M 320 grit sponge block moving onto 400 and 600 grit wet / dry paper wrapped around rubber profiles for the center / spoke areas and used a wooden paint stir stick for the outside / edge areas. Patience required here, I filled / sanded 3 separate times to get it perfectly smooth. After that I scuffed up the finish with a Scotch Brite type pad to ensure a good bite for the paint.

After a wipe down with the Paint Prep I applied the Self Etching Primer:

After drying 24 hours I applied the Duplicolor Silver as a base coat prior to the Wurth (much more expensive) paint, Note how "Metallic" the paint is compared to OEM Porsche wheels:

Old 02-04-2015, 05:22 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

I then applied two coats of the Wurth paint on top of the Duplicolor, notice how much more uniform and silver it looks compared to the Duplicolor, MUCH more like the OEM paint:

I then utilized the Duplicolor Gloss Clear paint (2 thin, topped off by a third "wet" coat) to give them their final finish. Popped in the OEM centers and am still waiting on the new metal valve stems to be delivered from SunCoast:

I've paid to have wheels professionally finished in the past, but I got to admit I was floored at how these turned out using bomb cans when these were finished, I'd say they are 90 plus percent as nice as what I dropped money on for others to do in the past. Probably $50 to $70 dollars in materials used depending upon what you may already have lying around.
The following users liked this post:
damage98MO (06-05-2022)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:43 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very impressive work - the pics show a professional finish. well done.

question: have you mounted tires to them yet? any smudging? how long did you wait to properly cure the paint before mounting tires?
Old 02-04-2015, 05:57 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

No tires mounted yet. From past experience I'd recommend waiting 30 days and ensure the shop doing the mounting used plenty of lube and a cushioned / rubberized wheel centering wedge on their balancer............
Old 02-05-2015, 01:33 PM
espanolie
Rennlist Member

thanks for the update. when you do i'd like to see how it went. am asking 'cause i'm contemplating the same project you did with painting your wheel set.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:56 PM
doublecabmel
Three Wheelin'

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm impressed! Wow! Love threads like this. I'm still chicken and decide to drop large sums of $ to have it done.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:01 PM
TONY AIR C2S
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Great job
Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 PM
coreseller
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by espanolie
thanks for the update. when you do i'd like to see how it went. am asking 'cause i'm contemplating the same project you did with painting your wheel set.
Thanks Ric but it may be quite awhile before I put rubber on these wheels. I just finished installing brand new Porsche metal air stems, going to let them cure out / harden for a month or so then likely pack in boxes and put in the attic until I figure out what I'm going to do with them. I frankly prefer the RUF's I have on the car right now but we'll see.........
Old 02-06-2015, 05:57 AM
flyingchappy
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice work! I should have explored this route before getting my hollows powder coated.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:26 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Nice write-up and pictorial

Thanks! The devil is in the details . . . . .

Were I went wrong with a OE '79 VW steel sport wheel (w/Wurth) refinish a few years ago all comes back. I'm going to revisit those VW wheels. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2023, 01:36 PM
MountainGuy
1st Gear

Reviving to ask how the paint job lasted.

Quick Reply: Refinishing OEM Turbo Twist Porsche Wheels