Rennlist Discussion Forums   classifieds | membership | rennlist | photo album    
sponsors | upload photo | chat    

Go Back   Rennlist Discussion Forums > DIYs and "How To" Archive > DIY Submission Forum
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Old 04-27-2011, 08:51 PM   #1
joeycannoli
User

Send a message via AIM to joeycannoli
Default Porsche 996 DIY: Battery Replacement

This guide will assist you in putting a replacement battery in your 996. There are several different options you can go with in terms of a new battery. I went the route of several other GT3 guys and picked up the Duralast 48-DL. It was just over $100 (tax included) once you return your core.

Tools Needed:
Ratchet
10mm Socket
13mm Socket

First step is to pop the hood and remove the battery panel cover. Simply twist the two tabs shown below 90 degrees to release the clips. Pull the panel up and out.

Click the image to open in full size.

Grab your ratchet and 10mm socket. Un-do the positive terminal clamp and pull it off the battery.

Move to the other side and repeat with the negative terminal

Next, locate the vent tube on the battery. Simply pull it off to remove

Last step to remove the battery is taking off the lower clamp. Grab a 13mm socket with an extension and remove the bolt shown below. With the bolt removed you can take the clamp out. Remember the orientation for installation later

Battery is ready to come out now

To remove the battery, slide it toward the passenger side of the tray a little bit. Grab the handles and pull it out. Be careful as it is a little heavy.

I am pretty sure the battery i had installed was not the OEM battery. I put it on the scale and found it weighted about 36.9 pounds. I put the Duralast battery on and weighed it in at 34.4. Saving a little over 2 lbs with the new battery.

Pop on the vent tube that was included with the new battery

You can now drop the new battery in the car. Goes it the same way it came out, exact fit. Once the battery is in place, re-insert the lower clamp and tighten the 13mm socket. After you are done check for movement. If satisfied move on

The OEM 90 degree elbow for the vent tube will not work with the new battery. You need to remove the elbow from the stock tube by simply pulling it off

A shot of the new vent tube adapter that came with the battery

Small end goes on the vent tube connected to the car and the larger end connects to the new battery vent tube as shown below

Throw the positive and negative terminals back on and viola! You have successfully changed the battery in your car. Check to make sure everything is powered. If all is good, pop on the panel cover and go for a ride!

If you have any questions or concerns about this DIY tutorial please feel free to comment or send me a private message. I hope you have benefited from this article. Always check back for new articles posted here on Euro Addiction!
To remove this ad, register today or login if you already are registered!

joeycannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:24 PM   #2
porschepoor
New User

Default Nice Tutorial

Joey,

The only thing I would do differently is to remove the negative cable first, that way if you accidentally hit the body with your wrench you won't get any sparks or accidentally weld your wrench to something.
porschepoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
Torontoworker
Super User

Quote:
Originally Posted by porschepoor View Post
Joey,

The only thing I would do differently is to remove the negative cable first, that way if you accidentally hit the body with your wrench you won't get any sparks or accidentally weld your wrench to something.
+1

Always, always negative off first and last to be hooked up when the new battery goes in.
Torontoworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
Blackness
User

Blake Blakely

Do you need to hook up some sort of trickle charger to maintain the state of the computer as you change the battery? I seem to remember that the electronics have to be re-flashed if you completely lose power.
Blackness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 AM   #5
Jeff996
User

Nice write up!

Make sure you know your radio code before you disconnect the battery.
Jeff996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:05 PM   #6
gvtesse
Addict
Rennlist Member

is there away to get the radio code other than from the manual? I no longer have the owners manual.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
beegee
New User

Great write-up!

Directions were great. Again, the only thing I would do different (already mentioned) is to disconnect Negative first, then Positive. When installing the new battery, Positive, then Negative.

I purchased the Duralast 48 at Autozone for $104.99.
beegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #8
CDLVancouver
User

Quick question...i had disconnected the battery to replace my indicator switch assembly and after reinstalling i dont have some power items such as auto up/down windows or power steering.
Is there something i need to reset?
Thanks
CDLVancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 04:37 PM   #9
rmoudry
New User

Great instructions. I used an OBD II plug w/cigarette lighter and small jump start battery to maintain all settings when I removed the old battery. Thanks for these postings, this site is invaluable!

Randy
rmoudry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #10
AngelOfGrief
User

About car radio code: the radio code is pre-programmed into the DME module and it can be read with a diagnostics device (e.g. PIWIS). Note however, it has no relation with the actual radio module, so if the radio has been replaced or recoded, the code will not match. Also, chaning the code in the DME wil obviously not change it in the radio module.
AngelOfGrief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Rennlist

Paid Advertisement

Tags
944, 996, 997, aaa, batteries, battery, clamp, diy, install, porsche, replace, replacement, tools, tube, vent