Notices

DIY Chain Tensioner Pad Replacement 944S2

Old 03-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Frances728
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In order to do so, downward pressure most be exerted on the upper tensioner pad to counteract the upward force of the hydraulic cylinder that it is seated onto.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Zuffenhausener
Advanced

Very nicely done.

Last edited by Zuffenhausener; 01-26-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:03 PM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up with pictures.

So I plan on inspecting my S2 easter break and if needed will replace the pads. Which parts exactly do I need?
Old 09-28-2013, 11:44 AM
veleno
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm finally doing this tomorrow. Any other words of advice?
Old 09-28-2013, 04:31 PM
mhr
Burning Brakes

DON'T over torque the cam cover bolts they snap very easily and then you have a problem. Start hand tight and then make double sure your torque wrench is set correctly and proceed with caution.

Same caution goes for the bolts that hold In the tensioner but those don't seem as bad.

Have fun.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:42 PM
Phantoms
Intermediate

Thanks for the write up I just did mine and this made it easy!
Old 11-18-2017, 06:08 AM
Eric_Oz_S2
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CarbonRevo
Extremely nice write up!

Small cautions that just worry me, the use of the vice to compress the new pads worries me. I believe I used all my hand power to compress them and another person insert the small wire. I didn't want to risk pre-mature cracks.

Also, the two bolts that hold the tensioner down are generally stripped out or will strip when you re-install. You can use a longer bolt here as well (factory tapped the holes for longer bolts, but used shorter?? I forget the size, so please measure accurately!!). I then put blue loctite on the threads and also used lock washers. Both of my holes had severely ruined threads at the top and my tensioner is held on rock solid now!
So true about the tensioner bolts. Just stripped the thread in the head. Good advice about using a longer bolt. The stock length is 15mm thread. I cut a 25mm thread bolt down to 22mm and this fixed the issue as there was enough thread left at the bottom of the hole to torque the bolt to 10Nm.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:35 PM
Stevieporsche
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How often to change or check chain pads

Originally Posted by Eric_Oz_S2
So true about the tensioner bolts. Just stripped the thread in the head. Good advice about using a longer bolt. The stock length is 15mm thread. I cut a 25mm thread bolt down to 22mm and this fixed the issue as there was enough thread left at the bottom of the hole to torque the bolt to 10Nm.
This is a great write up. I did mine before a few years back without disconnecting the fuel lines and had to wiggle the cover a bit but it came out. Less risk of destroying untouched fuel lines there.

Also as I recall the cover bolts were different lengths so lay them out on a mapped image on paper when u take them out and put them back in exactly the same place.

blue locktite 243 I believe I used on those bolts. And a small small ratchet like 1/4 inch and just barely hold it at the head not at the end of the handle. Just to prevent any stripping of bolts. Nice to know if stripped u can put in longer ones as I hadnt heard that before.

Curious how often these pads will last with normal driving. I did mine about 30k ago so now I am wondering is it time again to check these? Will cost me a new gasket set at minimum which wasnt cheap as I recall. If checking may as well replace them again?

Last edited by Stevieporsche; 10-06-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Spell check edit

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Chain Tensioner Pad Replacement 944S2