Notices

993 Side Mirror Glass Replacement with Pics - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:42 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts
Default 993 Side Mirror Glass Replacement with Pics - DIY

While replacing the driver's side mirror glass, I decided to take some pics and write up a how-to...

993 Side Mirror Glass Replacement with Pics
Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got frustrated trying to get the broken mirror out and ruined the carrier that is supposed to hold the new mirror piece. So the end result is that the new mirror piece is held in only by the glue material.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4S993
I got frustrated trying to get the broken mirror out and ruined the carrier that is supposed to hold the new mirror piece.
I take it you came across this how-to after you broke the carrier.

Originally Posted by C4S993
So the end result is that the new mirror piece is held in only by the glue material.
That won't be enough. It'll fall out sooner or later. Either get a used mirror and take whatever parts you need out of it or glue the other mirror in.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:32 PM
C4S993
Pro

Default it lasted 30 mins...

but at least I had a long rubber band on the mirror which caught the falling new mirror. I'll order a new 4 small Phillips screw carrier piece and do it right.

1996 C4S.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

thanks for the very helpful pics and directions - worked great and my rear mirror is now working..
... sort off ie one servo works but not the other.

Is there a way to remove the servos from the housing and how would one test them with a multi-meter?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
one servo works but not the other.

Is there a way to remove the servos from the housing and how would one test them with a multi-meter?
Before tearing things apart, check that the servo is getting power via the rocker switch.

You can also compare one motor with the other by ohming them out.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:39 AM
HiWind
Race Car

thanks XLR8r - yes I checked that and they are both working when free of the little white toothed strips which actually move the mechanism. Problem is the finicky nature of the mechanism ie the spring, the servo and the housing (lots of fragile plastic). I can get it back together but only one axis works when its put together. Wonder which pieces can be bought seperately - might be easier just to replace the whole inside. My glass is discolored on that mirror also so definately need that too. Any ideas?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HiWind
Wonder which pieces can be bought seperately - might be easier just to replace the whole inside. My glass is discolored on that mirror also so definately need that too. Any ideas?
Have a look at the parts diagram on the Auto Atlanta site...

Mirror Parts
Old 01-02-2013, 04:19 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Thanks! Part 7 seems to be servos and housing etc ... Will try fix it again tomorrow but
It reminds me of those model airplanes that you just can't have small enough fingers for
Old 10-27-2015, 06:31 PM
Potterphd
Intermediate

Default Clarificaton

All, apologies for resurrecting such an old post, but this is one that is often referred to when people have a side mirror issue.

One thing I did not realize until seeing another post on the 964 forum was that there is a hole in the bottom of the housing through which you access the grooves which OP references on the last picture on the smugmug website. You can see a picture of this hole under the black ring in the first picture on that website.

My dumb a$$ was trying to stick a screw driver in between the mirror and the housing to move the ring. This made for a really bad angle and I was only accomplishing frustration. Once I stuck my small screwdriver in through the hole (that's what she said) it was easy to rotate the ring.

Hopefully this will provide additional to other low DIY IQ users such as myself.
Old 03-10-2021, 09:21 PM
ctilly
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Grrr - I can’t get the old one off. What direction does the ring turn to remove? Im replacing the driver side mirror.

once rotated, is there a trick to get the carrier to release? Guessing mine is stuck but I’m reluctant to pry it off..

thank you!
Old 03-11-2021, 02:13 AM
ctilly
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Found my own answer. If you’re looking at the back of the stand alone mirror (not in the side mirror housing) unlock is rotating the ring clockwise. You need a plastic lever to try it out of the housing. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: 993 Side Mirror Glass Replacement with Pics - DIY