Notices

VBOX Q: start, stop, start, stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 06:42 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts
Default VBOX Q: start, stop, start, stop

The setup: let's say you select "only when moving" and "minimum speed" of 10km/h and then the default 10 secs "stop log delay".

What is supposed to happen if you start moving, exceed the minimum speed, then stop for more than 10 seconds (engine remains running hence power to VBOX steady) and then start moving more than the minimum speed once again again?? Is the start-recording trigger supposed to reset without power cycling the VBOX unit??

My observation suggests that you get one start trigger per power cycle but I'm just wondering whether that's wrong and I'm missing something else.

[this comes up because local to me one group runs a "pre-grid" type procedure where you move from your pit space to one of a fast/med/slow lane where they have you hold still until the track goes hot...hence: start, stop for a minute or two, start and eventually stop after the session ends. I did not get data for the main part of the session a couple of times and the only thing I can think of is that I must have tripped the start trigger on the way to the pre-grid area and that the VBOX start trigger does not then reset without a power cycle.]

I have a workaround for the issue assuming my guess about the way the unit works is right (just raise threshold speed and/or watch speed prior to pit exit) but I am curious about what the expectation of the equipment should be in this case...couldn't see an answer in the docs.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Only when moving is a good idea. My experience is to set stop log delay to at least 20, and usually 30 seconds.

If the unit is an HD2, there is a "pre-buffer" that captures a user-defined amount of video in advance of the speed trigger to start. In the older units, no "pre-buffer."

To answer your questions, the start and stop triggers are conditions. You set the conditions. If the example car is under 10 km/h for more than ten seconds, the recording ends and the file is closed. If the power is maintained and the car goes above 10 km/h again, recording of the new .vbo and .mov (or .avi) file begins again. No "reset" required or powercycling required.

Now, I will point out that if power is on, and you override the auto record trigger with the manual button, that STOPS the auto trigger until the power is cycled and the unit is reset. If you hit it manually once, and the power is not lifted, you MUST hit it manually any time you want to record, until you power down and repower up the unit. When you power cycle, the auto record and delay features are enabled again.

This is true for all VBOX units.

I would recommend raising your trigger speed OR lengthening the stop record delay to 60 or 90 seconds.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-22-2017, 09:21 PM
boxer-11
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I see, thanks Peter. I guess my conclusion was wrong then. I'm virtually certain that I didn't stop recordings manually ever so now I'm scratching my head a bit. Given what I think occurred on the day I'm thinking of, and what you say about what the unit is supposed to do with continuous power, I really think I should have got video/data for the short trip to the pre-grid area and the actual session.

No matter, I'll lengthen that stop delay as you suggest and see if that help. The stop at the pre-grid area can be several minutes at a time though so that much adjustment wouldn't cover over that stoppage time in this case.

Thanks for the clarification, and the advice as always!

Quick Reply: VBOX Q: start, stop, start, stop