Notices

Laptop

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 12:57 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Laptop

Can someone recommend a good laptop and operating system for both the AIM and MoTec software? I am a mac guy but donated my laptop to my college kid and not sure that is best platform anyway. If someone can chime in to recommend a setup, would appreciate it. If mac is the best, I am happy to go that route with boot camp or other windows OS.
Mark
Old 03-08-2017, 01:53 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,836 Likes on 1,670 Posts

I think Apple with Windows under Boot Camp is my favorite. I've used the last six releases of the MBA with the 512 SSD, just replaced with a MBP 13 Tb with a 1 TB drive. I run all MoTeC and AIM programs on my computer. I also carry a spare, in the form of a Microsoft Surface Book.

I don't like plastic computers or matte screens outside. Toughbook is a good one, too.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 03-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 762 Likes on 500 Posts

I can't speak to the MoTeC side, but the actual data software doesn't require a lot of computer. It's normally t he video that takes the most CPU power and storage space. No need to break the bank on a laptop, but make sure to get plenty of storage onboard and have somewhere to offload the old videos for archival.

Since RS2/3 and i2 require Windows, I would go with a PC so you can run them direct and not need other software.

Do you have a brand of computer you like, get discounts, etc?
Old 03-08-2017, 02:03 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Since RS2/3 and i2 require Windows, I would go with a PC so you can run them direct and not need other software.
That's what's nice about Windows under Boot Camp on the superlative hardware that Apple makes. There is NO software or emulation required. It "out PC's" a PC!

Using the Boot Camp utility, a dedicated partition in NTFS on the SSD (hard drive) is formatted and Windows 10 (only flavor possible on the new Apple hardware) is installed, same as the PC.

On startup, you boot natively into Windows 10 and the system operates better, quicker and more reliably than any PC I have used.

Plus, if you have familiarity or need for Apple OS, just shut it down, hold the Option (Alt) key on startup and select either Apple OS or Windows 10.

There seem to be more and more folks running Apple computers and this is the BEST way to access both worlds, without compromise of any kind.

I'm at the track almost 200 days a year for the last seven years and my computers are mission critical to do my job, which is to interact with and use AiM and MoTeC programs most days I am there. Add to that the portability of these aluminum bodied works of art, plus the visibility of the screen outside and in the sun, and it's a no-brainer for me. YMMV.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:21 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
I'm at the track almost 200 days a year for the last seven years and my computers are mission critical to do my job, which is to interact with and use AiM and MoTeC programs most days I am there. Add to that the portability of these aluminum bodied works of art, plus the visibility of the screen outside and in the sun, and it's a no-brainer for me. YMMV.
The travel and abuse people like you and I put on a computer is far worse than what most people subject a machine to in normal use. While we would only consider a metal chassis, durable, SSD machine, that is overkill for the average person going to the track. I have lots of customers who have purchased value priced open box / refurb machines from Best Buy, Dell, and others. While not for me, the Surface machines are well liked by many, including you and Roger.

And as always, price point plays a major role. It's hard to justify my $2,800 laptop to someone who is only using it 8x a year. I'm sure you see the same all the time as well.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:42 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

This is what I recommend (and successfully used six of them in the last seven years): http://www.apple.com/shop/product/G0...-intel-core-i7

Less than half what yours and mine cost, strong, bright and light as a feather!
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM
Skibum1963
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks perfect. Then I can hand this down to the next kid in a couple of years!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice piece of kit, but the 13" is a no go for me. If you don't mind the smaller real-estate, it would be great.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:05 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Skibum1963
That looks perfect. Then I can hand this down to the next kid in a couple of years!
And that's the idea. These things are so mature that they're bulletproof and work really, really well.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:06 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt Romanowski
Nice piece of kit, but the 13" is a no go for me. If you don't mind the smaller real-estate, it would be great.
What trailer doesn't have a monitor in it?
Old 03-08-2017, 04:30 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ProCoach
What trailer doesn't have a monitor in it?
Airplanes, airports, back of the van on the way to the track.....
Old 03-08-2017, 04:35 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Got it!
Old 03-08-2017, 06:10 PM
dizzy8085
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Y'alls exchanges are always pretty funny^

I second the Macbook running bootcamp. I really like the macbook's and believe any extra cost is worth it for reliability. I know the battery will last a long time and I know it will work. Takes less than 15 seconds to restart in the alternative operating system.

I even run iracing on mine in bootcamp on a single screen.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:14 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dizzy8085
Y'alls exchanges are always pretty funny^
We have fun! It's like racing keyboards!
Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

The ONLY reason to get a MacBook is if you are already an MacBook guy. A PC will run everything you need. I use a surface 2 pro, specifically for the size, and it works very well. My 13" MacBook Air stays in the garage as a dedicated Pandora player. This seems to be the best use I can find for it.

Quick Reply: Laptop